Why become a member? ×

Pete Cornish or OBBM cables?

chud

I've read through a few topics about these two guys, they both seem extremley good at what they do. As i need new cables i want to get good quality value for money cables. Just need some advice/opinions on what to go for.

Thanks

Two points: A cheap cable will affect your sound but the benefits of a very good cable will be completely lost unless the rest of your signal chain matches in terms of quality. And, from what I can see, Pete Cornish is just a reseller, so these cables are no better because his name is on them!

They cost 3 times more than OBBM's cables, so when you're belting out Thin Lizzy numbers through your “reasonably priced” bass amp, you'll hear the difference?

Yeah, right!!

Go OBBM! It looks like Pete Cornish just chucks loads of heat-shrink over his connectors to extend the life of the cable. He still only uses Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors which you can buy for a few quid. Add that and a load of technical jargon and you have a very over priced guitar lead. If on a budget buy the same connectors and cable and have a go yourself.

With that in mind, alot can be said for personal technical ability and quality control. So if in doubt, go OBBM!

I know i would if my Monster Cables ever died...

[quote name='gary mac' post='783275' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:12 PM']The Obbm cable that I have got is first class, so I won't be looking elsewhere for my next purchase.[/quote]

Same here! I've got three of his cables now - great stuff and reasonably priced (i.e. not cheap, but not a rip-off either). :)

Edited by Conan

Pete's stuff is very durable. Certainly not the cheapest cables around, but then again, not the most expensive either.

He makes them himself, mainly to order, so it's not just a case of 'putting his name on them'. They have a nylon outer sheath to help reduce physical damage and can take a fair bit of punishment.

I've seen one of OBMM's cables as well and they look to be really good quality also, so it really comes down to your own choice, you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

I've never seen an OBBM cable up close, but I do know that he has a good reputation and doesn't hype his products. He also sells them for a fair price. That's a true professional in my book.

Edited by stevie

I've never used OBBM, but looking at the site, all the kit appears to be pretty standard. You can buy the parts yourself, or made up cables direct from Van Damme ([url="http://www.vdctrading.com/"]vdctrading.com[/url]). Look to be about similar prices to OBBM, and I've had great service and reliability from them over the years, both for myself and kit supplied to touring bands I've tech'ed for.

I had never heard of Pete Cornish before this thread so cant comment on the quality, but if the prices are that much more than OBBM's gear then I find it hard to believe the quality reflects such an inflated price.

I swapped out all my gigging cables (head to cab, bass to tuner and tuner to amp) to OBBM's and to be honest I cant hear the difference. What I gain in piece of mind though is what makes me glad I did. The speaker cable alone could probably tow one of the cars home if it broke down at a gig!

I use Pete Cornish cables for instrument, pedal board links, speaker cables and custom pedals. etc.. They are very very well made. Pete and his wife make them personally and vigoriously test them.
Yes they are expensive compared to others but im sure they arent the dearest.

I have never used OBBM cables but the obvious feedback is that they are also of the highest quality in terms of build and sound.

:)