Why become a member? ×

Offloading.....

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='777510' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:11 PM']Too old!!- I`m 48- been playing for 30 odd years and still feel 25- all about the mind set- looks like they are probably too old for you- short sighted prats!![/quote]

I think to be absolutely fair.... I've not been playing for 30 years, I've been playing for about 10. I'm an ok player but I'm not great. I don't fall into the "good laugh" category and don't look like a film star. Apparently the drummer was struggling to work with me, I wasn't "fitting in" and "age was mentioned". Fair enough, in my world, grown ups discuss these things face to face not by an email first thing in the morning. Happened to me before (I'm sure I've ranted here) yet there are other bands I've played in where it's all been a breeze. Ho hum.

Another "play 'til I drop" here too...

Must say I've turned down a few auditions after finding out how old the band are. There's no way I want to look like the creepy old uncle helping out 'til they find a kid to do the job ...
That's Ok though 'cos they'd probably be too young ("dumb and full of *****") to play in my band too...

Hey Nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember
The Queen of Soul

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Conan' post='777520' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:19 PM']46?!?! Jeez, I once had a relative that lived to be that old.... :lol:

I'm 43 (good age for a fan of Level 42!) and I still think of myself as "young". Sadly, my knees are starting to disagree with me... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Not here in Scotland.... 46 is well past the normal life expectancy. Pass me more deep fried pizza!!

I know what you mean. I've turned into my dad. I have to take off my glasses to read small printing :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777353' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:32 PM']Yeh - oh well, 46 doesn't feel quite like I'm tottering on the edge of my grave. Well, not every day anyway :)[/quote]
I'm 46 aswell mate, I play with one band with a 69 year old Zulu singer, a three-piece with a 50 year old drummer and a 24 year old starlet, and a band who's oldest is me, youngest is 16, band leader is 22.

Clearly your band is discriminatory and petty. You are better off without them mate.

Best of luck.

I've just left a band of 30 somethings. I'm 51.
No grieff or anything like that, just got the offer to join a bunch of 40 something rockers.
I had to learn an 8 minute Metallica song and lots of other challenging rock stuff of the stop/start, change key, widdle variety. 37 songs in 3 weeks before the first gig.
Loving it!

There is always something better, just waiting to be found.
Get on those formiing band sites and enjoy.

Good luck,
Karl.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='777537' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:26 PM']One day someone will do research and discover what is it that makes the majority of people in bands behave like t**ts. Still at least[/quote]

It's called the 'Bono Conjecture'.

Im 41, in a classic rock covers band and a 3 piece country/rock/folk/younameit band... both with a drummer who is 55ish and BY FAR the best drummer Ive ever played with.

To use a couple of old cliches; When one door closes, Another opens

and my favourite; Its an ill wind that blows no good!

Send 'em round here. I'll give them each a kick in the nuts for every week of my 51 years.

Then, far from being exhausted by this rewarding aerobic exercise, I shall play The Flight Of The Bumblebee at 330bpm over their slumped, bloodied forms. Mimsying little farts.

Edited by skankdelvar

They're all just a bunch of battle-dodging-nappy-wearing-I'd-rather-have-a-cup-of-tea-than-run-naked-at-Jerry woosses!

Last year I (51) joined a guitarist (56), dragged along keys (53) and we found a drummer (52-ish, I think)... we've been rehearsing at a studio where you pay for 3 hours and get the 4th for free... so that's a 4-hour rehearsal... and there's no Ovaltine or Cocoa in sight... and we're cranking out kick-ass covers of old Rock classics (Black Night, Wishing Well... you get the idea)... and gigging as well! There's a hoard of hungry punters out there in their 50s & 60s who are fed up going to pubs and being forced to endure "Yoof" Music... they want to ROK-OUT! Make some noise... till way after their beddy-byes time!!! :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='777608' date='Mar 17 2010, 04:24 PM']Send 'em round here. I'll give them each a kick in the nuts for every week of my 51 years.

Then, far from being exhausted by this rewarding aerobic exercise, I shall play The Flight Of The Bumblebee at 330bpm over their slumped, bloodied forms. Mimsying little farts.[/quote]

When you're done, send them round to my place where I'll dance on their collective skulls as I give them the steroid version of Sabre Dance.

I'm 56 and I recently started working with a Fusion band - sax player is the same age as me, but the rest of the band is in their 20's - what a great bunch of guys! I'd forgotten how much fun it can be.

Diminished scales, wacky time signatures, gale force tempi - you name it. Pick a note - any note! :)

Oh - you guys. Thanks for the support.

I'm still out there, don't worry. I'm playing in a band of similarly aged sickos playing to drunks in pubs to great success. Never being satisfied, I'd added band No.2 which was a much more mainstream band with a female singer - something different. Didn't work out - fair enough. The guy they kicked out is still out gigging and they are in the studio dreaming about gigging. See the irony :)

Hey PB, that`s a sh*t way to treat people. Too bloomin old? You are better off without them!

That`s the bunch of tossers I almost joined. They sounded like a bunch of dreamers so I never bothered chasing it up. The way they put it across to me was that they wanted to get gigging asap and that was last November if I remember right. :)

Up the Spiders!!!!

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='777989' date='Mar 17 2010, 09:13 PM']Hey PB, that`s a sh*t way to treat people. Too bloomin old? You are better off without them!

That`s the bunch of tossers I almost joined. They sounded like a bunch of dreamers so I never bothered chasing it up. The way they put it across to me was that they wanted to get gigging asap and that was last November if I remember right. :)

Up the Spiders!!!!

Jez[/quote]

I should have listened to you, shouldn't I?? :rolleyes: You'd have been younger and cooler though, so you'd have been fine!!

Any good venues out your way looking for loud, uncouth bands? I have something to prove now!!

I remember when this was all fields as far as the eye could see

i used to be with it then they changed what 'it' was

etc

I've always been the youngest in all of my bands and still am at 34. One of my first gigs was a proper big band and the trumpeter was in his 80s when i was 17 - probably the youngest in that band by 40 odd years

I don't care if they have to wheel me out to play, i want to keep going as long as i am able for years to come.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777353' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:32 PM']Yeh - oh well, 46 doesn't feel quite like I'm tottering on the edge of my grave. Well, not every day anyway :)[/quote]
46!! TCHAH a mere whippersnapper!! Presumably this was guitards talking.

I did a r/h for a dep with a three piece band where I was the baby by a good 20 years a while back & I'll be 51 this year.

Your as old as you feel. My lot run up to mid 50's plus and we're still going out giving it some welly. Bit of G'n'R, Whitesnake, Foofighters - anything rawkus really.

Well I played mostly 12 string guitar in our church band until I was 62 and then the bass player left. My wife can also play 12 string so it was tactfully? suggested that one of us should learn bass which meant me because my wife is a much better singer than me, + she can't sing and play bass. So 1 year ago I bought a bass and started to learn. I'm still very much a novice but I seem to be doing ok in the band's eyes.

They are all a lot younger than me. I am mentally still 24. :)