Why become a member? ×

band Style

krispn

[quote name='Huwberry' post='765348' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:29 PM']Oh but that is ACE.[/quote]

It is, I think they've played my town at a similar gig to us because I've seen that photo before!!

I Honeymoon Fresh we all dress quite similarly, quite modern with a retro twist as most of our clothes actually are "vintage" rather than look it!

The only thing I think sticks out is my hair, wearing tight shirts, jeans and boots is fine but having long red dreadlocks ruins the look -- that's what BIIIIG beany hats are for though :)

One of my bands went through a suits stage but its just too hot!

Then it was black shirts with jeans, it was simple but worked, our trumpet player always wore a white tie and noone else did, looked good in pix as was just enough difference not for the whole thing to look boring

[quote name='cheddatom' post='765372' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:42 PM']I saw a band dressed as man-wolves. It was highly amusing and certainly memorable.[/quote]

I saw a band called Hotbone which are a noise-duo and the guitarist wears a fox/wolf mask and the drummer wear a sheep mask (crazy as hell!)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/hotbone"]http://www.myspace.com/hotbone[/url]

When I was in an originals band many years ago with ambitions of "making it" we had a bit of a motto...

"If you want to be a star, you've got to act like a star" This included dressing like a star, I guess.

We didn't much, thats why I drive a van for a living now (oh, and having crap songs and a crap drummer)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='764749' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:54 AM']Someone once told me that if you're mingling with the crowd, they should instantly know you're in the band.[/quote]

Exactly. In fact it might have been me that said it.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that your band should have some form of image.There are a load of bands who turn up to gigs wearing the same stuff that they
have been dossing around in all day.So you have 3 or 4 people on stage with no sense of unity-they could be anyone.You don't need to wear matching suits
and stuff-although that's cool,but there should be [i]something[/i] that ties you all together as a band throughout the gig-both on and off stage.
In the last original band I was in,we did some extensive over seas touring,and we got a number of comments about us being a band when we were just walking
around town or eating. Not because we dressed the same,but because we had devised a look that retained are individual personalities,yet gave us presence as a band. When we walked into a club,it was obvious who the band was.

'Band Look' offstage? It depends on both the band's status (pro, semi pro, amateur) and genre.

* Pro band with media exposure in a tightly-defined genre (e.g. Somethingcore) = Essential

* Amateur local covers outfit (e.g. 'Terry Bottomley's Hits Unlimited'*) collectively strutting round someone else's covers gig in their own matching logo'd t-shirts = Pitiful

[color="#808080"][size=1]* 'Hits Unlimited' is AFAIK an entirely fictitious name. In the event that there actually [i]is[/i] a band called Hits Unlimited and they see this and get a bit batey, may I proffer my sincerest apologies. No reference was intended. Happy Gigs! Unless you actually [i]have[/i] wandered round someone else's gig wearing your own Hits Unlimited t-shirts, in which case you deserve to burn in Hell, your lungs clogged by the Devil's arse-smoke.[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Ive given this some thought and Ive just started writing stuff with a mate. Ive been thinking an easy way into this kinda thing is grab 3/4/5 (delete as necessary). some paint and get creating. Keep them individual but same/similar colours. You should be able to tell pretty quick then that were as a group!

[quote name='charic' post='765868' date='Mar 6 2010, 09:59 AM']Ive given this some thought and Ive just started writing stuff with a mate. Ive been thinking an easy way into this kinda thing is grab 3/4/5 (delete as necessary). some paint and get creating. Keep them individual but same/similar colours. You should be able to tell pretty quick then that were as a group![/quote]

I've always liked the idea of using colours.
Some interesting reading here about it too: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54569&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54569&hl=[/url]

Yeah before I joined this band they kinda stuck to a theme of red, black and white colours but everyone seems to gravitate towards these colours think Green Day White Stripes etc

As for a look off stage I'm not suggesting we all walkabout looking like the next Power Rangers or the pilots of Thunderbirds 1 through 5 *(which would be an awesome band name!)

Doddy hit the nail on the head by saying and Im watering this right down doddy so forgive me....

"......there should be something that ties you all together as a band, ......devising a look that retains the individual personalities, yet gives presence as a band - it was obvious who the band was.

Cheers to all who have responded - its a great discussion and even tho I was hoping for more pic's to give ne ideas I guessing Im gonna go the the bass players go to clothing of hat (and maybe waistcoat) now if I can just make that work with the overall look!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='764749' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:54 AM']Someone once told me that if you're mingling with the crowd, they should instantly know you're in the band.[/quote]
I think that is the ideal for most bands, to stand out from your crowd without having to try too hard! Hopefully just being yourself should achieve that

That's the trouble with having an agreed band look - there's nothing less cool than looking like you are trying too hard!!

[quote name='peteb' post='766193' date='Mar 6 2010, 04:34 PM']I think that is the ideal for most bands, to stand out from your crowd without having to try too hard! Hopefully just being yourself should achieve that

That's the trouble with having an agreed band look - [b]there's nothing less cool than looking like you are trying too hard!![/b][/quote]

Amen to that!

I'm uncool, but I don't care that I'm uncool. This makes me cool, but acknowledging this makes me uncool again. And the cycle repeats forever!

[quote name='Wil' post='766195' date='Mar 6 2010, 04:38 PM']Amen to that!

I'm uncool, but I don't care that I'm uncool. This makes me cool, but acknowledging this makes me uncool again. And the cycle repeats forever![/quote]
I disagree - if you don't care that you're uncool.... then that makes you cool, acknowledging it just adds a a sense of ironic cool...!

Just the way that it works....

Edited by peteb

QUOTE (Wil @ Mar 6 2010, 04:38 PM)
Amen to that!

I'm uncool, but I don't care that I'm uncool. This makes me cool, but acknowledging this makes me uncool again. And the cycle repeats forever!
I disagree - if you don't care that you're uncool.... then that makes you cool, acknowledging it just adds a a sense of ironic cool...!

Just the way that it works....

Jesus!.......thats given me a headache.
(is that cool?)

Once did a promo where we were all painted blue and wearing loin-cloths, tribal thing, playing drums, dancing round fire, etc.

At the time I had long hair and was carrying a few extra pounds, but thought it was all fine - it was a real laugh.

When it was edited, our manager watched the vid in astonishment, immediately asked to see it again, then asked in hushed tones:

'Who the f*cking hell is that fat bird with no bra on?'

[quote name='discreet' post='766219' date='Mar 6 2010, 05:04 PM']Once did a promo where we were all painted blue and wearing loin-cloths, tribal thing, playing drums, dancing round fire, etc.

At the time I had long hair and was carrying a few extra pounds, but thought it was all fine - it was a real laugh.

When it was edited, our manager watched the vid in astonishment, immediately asked to see it again, then asked in hushed tones:

'Who the f*cking hell is that fat bird with no bra on?'[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Went to see a band called Kong (myspace.com/kongdom). Had a very distinctive look of all red with wierd doll/plastic surgery latex masks. pretty cool noise band. Not sure how this contributes to the discussion but they had changed into civvies once they came to the bar for a drink.

Ive been meaning to bring this topic up recently, my band played a battle of the bands in December, and got through to the final, but one thing the judges commented on was our style or 'image' . This has come up at a few events we've played so I was going to start a thread asking for advice, but i mays as well do it here, here is our website: [url="http://www.myspace.com/offsetonthenet"]Offset[/url]

and heres a couple of photos from said gig... whats wrong? :)

[quote name='charic' post='766247' date='Mar 6 2010, 05:22 PM']+1[/quote]

+more. Top tale. :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='768708' date='Mar 8 2010, 11:49 PM']and heres a couple of photos from said gig... whats wrong? :rolleyes:[/quote]

You look too clean. Probably partly to do with the venue which is also too clean, and you all being very young which makes you look clean. I think you'd need to make an extra special effort to look dirty to offset your youth, and practically roll in dogshit before performing at a place like that.

Looked at your myspace and there are photos from other shows on there where you look a lot less clean, and it's a better look IMO.

[quote name='Wil' post='765312' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:04 PM']I don't really rate the concept of the band having a "look", but most of the shows I enjoy going to are punk or ska. Most of the time the band are wearing pretty similar clothes to the audience and no one cares - passion over fashion :)[/quote]
Same here man, but I will also wear my bleachers and spike up my mohawk for a funk gig too.

People looked at me funny at a Maceo gig in the Jazz Cafe...