Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 hours ago, Gasman said:

Last night’s gig was one I never anticipated, wanted, but felt compelled and eventually pleased to do. My son died three weeks ago suddenly from a second heart attack a week after having stents for the first one, seems the surgeon did half a job. Julian was 46, three kids, fitness fanatic, my best friend, top DJ and drummer

Today was his funeral. His widow had booked an acoustic duo for the wake in the local pub. However, the girl singer had to leave early for some reason; the landlord knew I played and pointed me out to the remaining guitarist/singer suggesting I might help, so as my gear was in my car I played bass and sang with him for the second set.

It was good distraction therapy, busking 15 numbers I’d never played before with a guy I’d never met. Despite this glimmer of light in a dark, dark day I’ll never be able to rationalise why I’m still here at 74 to write this while he will never read it. 

Parents shouldn’t have to bury their children...

So sad to read this, I can't imagine what that must feel like. Sincere condolences to you and your family ❤️

16 hours ago, Gasman said:

Last night’s gig was one I never anticipated, wanted, but felt compelled and eventually pleased to do. My son died three weeks ago suddenly from a second heart attack a week after having stents for the first one, seems the surgeon did half a job. Julian was 46, three kids, fitness fanatic, my best friend, top DJ and drummer

Today was his funeral. His widow had booked an acoustic duo for the wake in the local pub. However, the girl singer had to leave early for some reason; the landlord knew I played and pointed me out to the remaining guitarist/singer suggesting I might help, so as my gear was in my car I played bass and sang with him for the second set.

It was good distraction therapy, busking 15 numbers I’d never played before with a guy I’d never met. Despite this glimmer of light in a dark, dark day I’ll never be able to rationalise why I’m still here at 74 to write this while he will never read it. 

So sorry for your loss.

Just on the way home from a bloody marvellous Katy Hurt gig at the Fiddler’s Elbow in Camden. Was hot, was rocking, was great fun.

Roll on the two Northern dates in a fortnight. And hopefully many more as the summer gets into gear…

• Like 9

We headlined at a gig tonight. Not a lot of punters, mainly the other bands there, but we had a blast. I think my right arm feels a bit sore from how hard I was hitting the strings. Home now and I've had some toast and the cat has had a good fuss on the sofa. Bedtime methinks!

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Merton said:

Just on the way home from a bloody marvellous Katy Hurt gig at the Fiddler’s Elbow in Camden. Was hot, was rocking, was great fun.

Roll on the two Northern dates in a fortnight. And hopefully many more as the summer gets into gear…

Shall I tell them about your foray into playing what Charles Berthoud refers to as a "six string piccolo bass"?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Shall I tell them about your foray into playing what Charles Berthoud refers to as a "six string piccolo bass"?

Shhhhhh! (Note - this isn’t me, it’s my evil twin)

IMG_2062.thumb.jpeg.b04bf7b7f05085639e42d38edcb01929.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/04/2024 at 01:39, Gasman said:

I’m so sorry for your loss, that’s absolutely awful for you, my deepest condolences to you xx

9 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Home now and I've had some toast and the cat has had a good fuss on the sofa. Bedtime methinks!

Life in a gigging band. Cannae beat it. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

On 04/04/2024 at 01:39, Gasman said:

Wow. I can’t imagine the emotions involved there. I’m blown away by your strength.

I’m so very sorry for your loss

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Home now and I've had some toast and the cat has had a good fuss on the sofa. Bedtime methinks!

That’s the real Rock ‘n Roll lifestyle right there. Driving Rollers into swimming pools and chucking TVs out of hotel windows is very overrated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Obrienp said:

That’s the real Rock ‘n Roll lifestyle right there. Driving Rollers into swimming pools and chucking TVs out of hotel windows is very overrated!

There's only so much partying you can do when your 2 year old gets up at 5:45 and you need to walk her to nursery before starting the day job!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

There's only so much partying you can do when your 2 year old gets up at 5:45 and you need to walk her to nursery before starting the day job!

9a444ed49758fa4bc5dcac5e7b0c400b.jpg

• Haha 2

Last night we (Public Service Announcement) opened the Undercover Festival at the Holroyd in Guildford. Set time was 6.10, so we fully expected to play to an empty venue - wrong! Great crowd which just got stronger through the 30 min set.

Great stage sound, and the band played a really tight. We gave a really good account of ourselves, feedback from the crowd was superb and we sold a good amount of copies of the new album. Very happy band this morning!

• Like 14

Great night last night, not too busy, at the Horse & Jockey in Lanark. No rehearsals, just straight in and only fluffed ne song (Dakota, as I play it in a couple of bands and play different structures). However, a load in, gig, then load out, after not having gigged for two months, has taken it out of me and I’m on again in Wishaw at 16:00 today. Nothing since the start of February and then two at once. 🙄 

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Great night last night, not too busy, at the Horse & Jockey in Lanark. No rehearsals, just straight in and only fluffed ne song (Dakota, as I play it in a couple of bands and play different structures). However, a load in, gig, then load out, after not having gigged for two months, has taken it out of me and I’m on again in Wishaw at 16:00 today. Nothing since the start of February and then two at once. 🙄 

where in Wishaw Lee ? 

Found it ........ Bar 6. Have fun tonight mate and remember to breath in tight as it gets very tight in there when a band is on. Seems to be doing well and taking a bit of business away from Girdwoods these days. Mate from The Led Zep Story Jack Nimmo helps out a lot with bands in there and does a lot of jam sessions in it. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

First gig with a new singer last night for Nine Lives, at the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  It was a good gig!  Our new singer has put a lot of work in to get the songs together and she did great, if she was nervous she didn't show it. I'm really chuffed with how it all went - change is always difficult for all concerned but we all handled it like champs. Pub was lively, maybe 40-50 folk in there at the peak with plenty dancing and 1 face plant that someone is definitely going to feel today!

Kit used - the Soloking's first live outing (which also did me proud) and the Yamaha BB1200, all into a Markbass Mini CMD 121P IV plus New York 121 cab.

20240405Balaclavagear1.thumb.jpg.3d33eb23db714ed2f82437d7ff91d84f.jpg20240405Balaclavagear2.thumb.jpg.cd8addadef364c05cef5a2ab1887fefe.jpg

• Like 17

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

First gig with a new singer last night for Nine Lives, at the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  It was a good gig!  Our new singer has put a lot of work in to get the songs together and she did great, if she was nervous she didn't show it. I'm really chuffed with how it all went - change is always difficult for all concerned but we all handled it like champs. Pub was lively, maybe 40-50 folk in there at the peak with plenty dancing and 1 face plant that someone is definitely going to feel today!

Kit used - the Soloking's first live outing (which also did me proud) and the Yamaha BB1200, all into a Markbass Mini CMD 121P IV plus New York 121 cab.

20240405Balaclavagear1.thumb.jpg.3d33eb23db714ed2f82437d7ff91d84f.jpg20240405Balaclavagear2.thumb.jpg.cd8addadef364c05cef5a2ab1887fefe.jpg

Good to see Keith’s cab serving you well!

• Like 1

Opened for Queer as Punk tonight at Edinburgh's Wee Red Bar. First outing since our new guitarist joined the band.

Also the first outing for our new song, which had people singing along by the second chorus in spite of said chorus being liberally peppered with f-bombs. I think we struck a chord there with the mainly female audience.

The WRB's bass amp was bust - again - so I brought my Eden rig along. 118 and 210 cab underneath a WTP600 head. It sounded good but a sharper distorted sound would have been better, so I may drop out of the gear abstinence thread soon ☹️

But all in all, a great gig!

• Like 11