Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, King Tut said:

Played in Ramsgate last night with Verity Bromham. Had Kev Hickman depping on drums who did a marvellous job. I tried an XVive in ear unit that John lent me along with my rig. The engineer pointed me to an app to put on my phone and I set up my own monitor mix - bloody amazing. Journey home was a nightmare due to road closures, road out of Ramsgate was shut as was the M25, A1 and M1. Bolleaux! Got halfway home and realised I’d left my house and car keys at the venue. So I had to leave my car at Johns, get Del to go right out of his way to drive me home then wake the misses up at 3am to get in! Why the funk do I do this?!! Was a cracking gig though!

Can I ask what the app was, please @King Tut

• Like 1

Played tonight with the Daz Kelly blues band at The Boat Inn, Cromford, Derbyshire. A good, appreciative crowd out for a Friday night. My @Andyjr1515 Swift Lite bass through a TC Elf and Barefaced one10 was just the ticket. The landlady told us we were the first band, ever, to put the tables back in place after we’d finished. We’re not very Rock n’ Roll, but very polite boys. 😆

CD4AC05E-12FE-4305-97DC-EA14488C0120.jpeg

• Like 16

Played a village hall ‘Pub Night’ in the wilds of Dorset with the Otis Jay Blues Band.

The audience came to eat, but were in decline numbers wise thereafter which is always difficult - you’re not the main attraction! But some nice comments from those who stayed.

And what a stage! I hardly knew what to do with the room I had.

Acoustically, brought my MIJ Jazz ‘Sonic’ and GK MB200 through two Barefaced One10. Sound was so boomy I used bridge pickup exclusively, but seemed to work ok. Image is pre-gig, obviously!

1702a980-a52d-4fd4-87c6-3d7dc51316a0.thumb.jpeg.9f6e299497cbc838ae4238a921d09267.jpegIMG_7118.thumb.jpeg.e3782c28c6c0334c7b91ffeea3583868.jpegIMG_7108.thumb.jpeg.67b75046f5b465c8c70c54f7f2ca0c76.jpeg

edc82fad-636d-4b7b-a438-2962384940ca.jpeg

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 15

Sorry no pictures, WE also played the wilds of Dorset last night. The Horns Inn near Wimborne has a band on once a a month. Again pretty full when we got there with folks dining but they soon left ( before we started playing) and were replaced by a few music  fans. The Pub clear;y lost money on the gig but the Landlord told us he can "carry" the losses once per month. They have a stage in the garden and we hope to play that in the summer.

Edited by Chienmortbb
missed out "before"
  • Like 13

11 hours ago, Combed20 said:

Most compact digital mixers have a monitoring app. Soundcraft call it Me2 for the Ui series, Allen & Heath have CQ4U for the CQ  range. I am not sure about Behringer/Midas or RCF's M18.

• Like 1

Played at the cavern, new Malden, Surrey with our AC/DC tribute’BAD BOY BOOGIE’ , great laugh as usual and my ole mate Mark ( rhythm guitar) very kindly drove some of us up so it was really nice to get beered up for a change too! Worthing tonight so my turn on the wagon 😊

IMG_7849.jpeg

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Played at the cavern, new Malden, Surrey with our AC/DC tribute’BAD BOY BOOGIE’ , great laugh as usual and my ole mate Mark ( rhythm guitar) very kindly drove some of us up so it was really nice to get beered up for a change too! Worthing tonight so my turn on the wagon 😊

IMG_7849.jpeg

NICE StingRay!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Played a village hall ‘Pub Night’ in the wilds of Dorset with the Otis Jay Blues Band.

The audience came to eat, but were in decline numbers wise thereafter which is always difficult - you’re not the main attraction! But some nice comments from those who stayed.

And what a stage! I hardly knew what to do with the room I had.

Acoustically, brought my MIJ Jazz ‘Sonic’ and GK MB200 through two Barefaced One10. Sound was so boomy I used bridge pickup exclusively, but seemed to work ok. Image is pre-gig, obviously!

1702a980-a52d-4fd4-87c6-3d7dc51316a0.thumb.jpeg.9f6e299497cbc838ae4238a921d09267.jpegIMG_7118.thumb.jpeg.e3782c28c6c0334c7b91ffeea3583868.jpegIMG_7108.thumb.jpeg.67b75046f5b465c8c70c54f7f2ca0c76.jpeg

edc82fad-636d-4b7b-a438-2962384940ca.jpeg

Those kind of stages are why i always use my gramma board nowadays no matter what kind of stage. It means i can virtually keep the same amp and bass settings for every gig.

Worth every penny i paid 2nd hand.

Dave

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

IMG_7849.jpeg

That's an unusual finish on a MM Very nice indeed. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Combed20 said:

So I think different desks have different apps. His was an Allen and Heath desk and the app was SQ4You. Our drummer says he’s got about seven apps on his phone for various desks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tubbybloke68 said:

IMG_7849.jpeg

Two LFSys cabs! No trouble hearing yourself then I suspect. I’ve yet to gig mine. What’s your verdict on them in action?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Two LFSys cabs! No trouble hearing yourself then I suspect. I’ve yet to gig mine. What’s your verdict on them in action?

First time I’ve used both together last night. One is enough for theatre shows but seeing as it was balls out rock roll and not going through the desk or anything y’know 🤣. Yeah really pleased with them thanks, nice balanced sound. Funny, when i still had my super midget and I was comparing them at home side by side i THOUGHT it sounded slightly better/fuller but at rehearsals and gigs so far it’s been the complete opposite for me and the Monza has really shone through in terms of overall performance. I’m not knocking barefaced because I used them for years, and was very pleased. Great cabs too x😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How was my gig last night? A struggle. Won't disclose location, but it was in a south western city where they like to chuck statues in the harbour.

The venue was smallish, with a hollow wooden stage. The backline (provided, which was nice) was a couple of modestly sized and decent quality combos, so we thought it would be simple to play at reasonable onstage levels and let the PA take care of out front.

Afraid not. The PA cabs stood directly on the stage. No stands or isolation. The top boxes were 15s+horns and the subs were 15s. The subs made the stage resonate like a giant double bass and the result was one note bass flub. The walls were bare, the ceiling was low and it was an echo chamber. The sound was horrible.

The soundman's solution was to push the levels - out front and monitors - even harder when we explained we were having difficulty hearing what was going on during the soundcheck. Eventually, I asked politely if he could lose a lot of the low end and dial the subs right back. Everything cleaned up noticeably and we were reasonably happy.

Problem solved? If only. The minute we began our set, the sub levels went back up and all the low end we had asked to be removed re-appeared. I had to play entirely by sight. Couldn't distinguish individual notes at all. Our singer did a great job. The way she managed without being able to hear anything she was doing was impressive.

What is it about subs that causes people to crank them so hard that every bass note and kick drum beat results in a giant BOOOOOF? We wondered whether it was just a quirk of the stage sound, but when we stayed to hear a couple of numbers from the second band, it was the same out in the room. I'm getting too old for this caper.

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

Interesting one last night... The Horn in St Albans doing a 00's night. I get on well with the soundman, he's a former bass player and knows his stuff. I told him I might like to go DI pedal into the PA and no amp, he persuaded me to keep using the amp and I'm glad I did, fantastic sound. 

Gig-wise it was one of those where all the songs we never mess up we really messed up! Lots went wrong, I missed loads of cues, guitarist did also, drummer did... Singer broke two guitar strings... But, the place absolutely rocked. We were recording the gig and we don't really want to listen to it, very few songs were performed without fault, but we had a good time.

• Like 11

Played the cart and horses, Stratford, again last night. Really like the venue and sound.

Bits that kept the night 'interesting' was 2 out of 3 bass cabs died during checks/ first band...really odd...and we didn't get to the bottom of it. We also had a ground loop problem during line check that was fixed through more luck than judgement I think.

Anyway, performed reasonably, played pretty well, everyone seemed to have fun ✌️

_20240324_092809.JPG.903aeddb9915051bc639c64038a53f6f.JPG

_20240324_092739.thumb.JPG.e82ee753c7802de7d632e2e66b925bf9.JPG

_20240324_092830.JPG

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Played the cart and horses, Stratford, again last night. Really like the venue and sound.

Bits that kept the night 'interesting' was 2 out of 3 bass cabs died during checks/ first band...really odd...and we didn't get to the bottom of it. We also had a ground loop problem during line check that was fixed through more luck than judgement I think.

Anyway, performed reasonably, played pretty well, everyone seemed to have fun ✌️

_20240324_092809.JPG.903aeddb9915051bc639c64038a53f6f.JPG

_20240324_092739.thumb.JPG.e82ee753c7802de7d632e2e66b925bf9.JPG

_20240324_092830.JPG

I always live in fear of cabs dying. I take a spare head but usually it’s just the one twin, or single cab depending on the venue. If the cab goes, I’m left with just a DI to front of house. Having two cabs go is really bad luck!

Good to hear the gig went well despite the technical issues!

• Like 2

The Rock Formation returned to The Ashton Club in Bicester last night. Delayed start due to the football but all seemed to enjoy themselves. Dep drummer had a new kit which sounded good. We messed up All these things by The Killers somehow which is odd as it's always in our set list. Don't think the well oiled punters noticed though!

• Like 10