Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh one thing that was not so great. I forgot the riff to poker face, which wouldn't have been an issue except I was already half way through it. Yes, I had played half of it fine, and then just boom - came out of the chorus and couldn't remember how it went. Isnt the brain a great thing :/

That's the kind of thing I can do quite easily. So far only during rehearsals, thankfully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Used my wireless and went and had a boogie on the dancefloor during the last song - I can heartily recommend it!

Seconded. I always go out and bounce about with the punters during the second solo in Night Boat To Cairo, our last song. Great fun and they love it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

apparently he’d tried to get another Glam Rock band but they were unavailable, fortunately he wasn’t disappointed. 

It wisnae us Mart. :laugh1:

Oddly enough i've had that feeling where things sounded a bit out  of tune and when i check its fine. Weird.

Dave

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh one thing that was not so great. I forgot the riff to poker face, which wouldn't have been an issue except I was already half way through it. Yes, I had played half of it fine, and then just boom - came out of the chorus and couldn't remember how it went. Isnt the brain a great thing :/

Oh if only I had a crisp tenner for every time I’ve done that… :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Night two depping went well. One of wifey’s mates decided she’d like to go to the gig so wifey came out of recluse mode and I played taxi driver, so there were two dancers all night but the crowd were good.

Got chatting to another bass player in the break and compliments on the bass sound which was nice 🙂

Managed to get the IEM’s working tonight and ran one in and one there or thereabouts which helped as space was tight so I was right on top of the amp but had one plug giving me a good solid bass feed plus some keys and vocals.

Good fun night playing different stuff to usual 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, UglyDog said:

Mrs Dog is from Sutton Coldfield, and I can heartily endorse this statement :lol:

Again i'm laughing but don't know the area but your comment also made me laugh a lot. 

I can only assume your wife isn't on BC after that comment :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

It wisnae us Mart. :laugh1:

Oddly enough i've had that feeling where things sounded a bit out  of tune and when i check its fine. Weird.

Dave

I’m putting it down to my hearing mate, I’ve lost a bit at the mid/hf through Menieres. It’s one of those where the louder it is the worse it gets as other ‘noise’ interferes with  my perception. If it’s a venue where the sound bounces around the stage it’s a nightmare. Gonna have to look at iem this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Again i'm laughing but don't know the area but your comment also made me laugh a lot. 

I can only assume your wife isn't on BC after that comment :laugh1:

Dave

No, but she's an admin on Nagchat :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Had a wonderfully time last night playing at The Wheatsheaf in Banbury despite having a stinking cold. Turned up to find the first band had unfortunately pulled out, which meant we and the other band were asked to play longer. I am happy that I am in a band that actually can just pop a couple more songs into a set without hesitation, which is lovely as an original band.

Sound tech was brilliant, really nice guy and knows the room, especially as only kick and vocals were mic'ed. He was happy with tones of amps and levels. We played about an hour set and I ended up recording it on my recently purchased zoom H2n placed by the sound desk.  listened back today and very happy with the performance and the sound we achieved.  

The band headlining Voidlurker were an excellent sludge band and thoroughly nice lads to boot. all in all a great night even with the cold! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

An awkward stage area to get a good sound in. With an amount of fiddling about, we did our best.
The crowd had been slightly worn out by an afternoon of karaoke which finished at 8pm.

Curious why the drummer has an all black vinyl strip round his drumkit ?

Other than that i really enjoyed the two vids.

Those Hartke rigs have a nice clank to them too.

Singer has a cracking gruff voice that suits Roadhouse perfectly for me.

Great band and cheers for sharing.

Dave

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

10 points to anyone who can name last night's venue :D 

20240127_113058.thumb.jpg.831385247a4f2a840a5c501163697080.jpg

Blackpool Winter Gardens?

Edit to add, that was before I noticed the really big clue!! 🤣

Edited by jimmyb625
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Blackpool Winter Gardens?

Edit to add, that was before I noticed the really big clue!! 🤣

Didn't even notice that haha!

Yes, it was rather fun!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, markbunney said:

Played at The Penny Theatre in Canterbury tonight for the first time and it went really well.

They usually have tribute acts on a Saturday but the manager wanted to try a covers band and so we managed to get a slot. Wasn’t sure what to expect as we were told it emptied out by 10pm. We were a bit late on due to various issues and didn’t get going until 8.30 and then we had wireless and Wi-Fi issues but on the whole the gig was great and the manager said it was the busiest Saturday that they had had for months.

I used my @Tech21NYC Steve Harris pre amp tonight. I saw the great man himself playing in British Lion on Sunday and so thought fit to use it.

Unfortunately our drummer announced he was quitting after the gig, and said he would only do one more gig in a couple of weeks and that is it. Quite annoyed to say the least, as we have quite a few decent gigs booked this year including a wedding, and he has really dropped us in it.

1DBF8B30-6E94-419D-9AB9-3F1B42EEEE3D.jpeg

Wow, not much notice from the guitarist.  If I ever give notice,  I'll play gigs until they have  replacement up and running. 

Daryl

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Wow, not much notice from the guitarist.  If I ever give notice,  I'll play gigs until they have  replacement up and running. 

Daryl

I am really annoyed. I understand that someone wants to move on, but to give three weeks notice is not cool.

we have been together for over a year and he has really dropped us in it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Last night I had my first ever paying gig as purely a soundman. A friend of mine is in a band that was hastily put together to play one of their other friend's 50th birthday party. The entire band were amazing musicians, but they have about 4 gigs total experience between them. I was asked to come along and provide some direction and a lot of plugging in advice as well as sound duties. Rig for the evening was an Allen and Heath desk, Martin Audio PA, lots of Sennheiser vocal mics, an e609 on the guitar amp, Radial stagebug on the bass, and whatever drum mics the drummer brought.

PXL_20240127_195239736.MP.jpg

• Like 16