Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Nothing fancy last night, a well to do pub in Alcester, it felt like a jazz gig, we were playing to terribly middle class people sat around little tables. They enjoyed and so did we, but it was very different! Playing my local tonight for the first time with this band. 

IMG_8192.jpeg

• Like 9

Landed Festival, Mid Wales, Friday night.  Excellent PA and really well mixed.  The stage (trailer) seemed to absorb the sound and for the first time ever, BF Dubster and Peavey Tour 700 required PA support as well.  Chowny fretless (another BC purchase) worked really well.  Band is called Glyderau (a Welsh mountain range), all original material. Magus is Ben Grant, Freelance sound engineer, PA Hire & Location Recording, who ran the sound system - really good.  The chappie on the right clearly enjoyed himself.

landed.thumb.jpg.7337f23b2f551f93c98eb7ac12f1dee5.jpg

Edited by 3below
  • Like 12

Today at a festival in Dorset, gagglefest (due to it being the gaggle of geese).

Did an hour between 2-3pm, when it threatened to rain but didn't so people could sit out. it was a bit early, had some dancing but not as much as you would get later.

Were told that the venue were laying on a PA with a sort of implication it was a PA company, but turned out that one of the other bands from later were putting on the PA, and it was considerably smaller than ours! Last year a group laid the PA on and it was massive. this time there wasn't any micing for the drums and no monitoring, so couldn't hear anything. Sort of sounded ok out the front with no real drumming. Still, I didn't have to worry about it and it was nice being like the guitarist for once and just turning up with an amp, pedalboard and bass.

But my bass was pretty clear, so that was nice!

Still, got to love a full paying 1 hour gig in the afternoon where you can get home before the shops shut and have food at home!

rexesgaggle.jpg

• Like 15

An old friend that’s been living in Paris is back for a visit and a jam was organized. Unfortunately his daughter has come down with something and they are quarantined. So he was a no show for the party. I’m hoping he might be free Sunday for our regular gig in the old blues dive downtown. Fingers are crossed.
The venue was once an old stone church that’s been converted to an Arts Center. Very boomy acoustics , an old friend that organized the jam supplied the night’s back line. An Aguilar TH700 powering a couple of Markbass cabs. Not the best sounding room for any amp. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Today at a festival in Dorset, gagglefest (due to it being the gaggle of geese).

Did an hour between 2-3pm, when it threatened to rain but didn't so people could sit out. it was a bit early, had some dancing but not as much as you would get later.

Were told that the venue were laying on a PA with a sort of implication it was a PA company, but turned out that one of the other bands from later were putting on the PA, and it was considerably smaller than ours! Last year a group laid the PA on and it was massive. this time there wasn't any micing for the drums and no monitoring, so couldn't hear anything. Sort of sounded ok out the front with no real drumming. Still, I didn't have to worry about it and it was nice being like the guitarist for once and just turning up with an amp, pedalboard and bass.

Still, got to love a full paying 1 hour gig in the afternoon where you can get home before the shops shut and have food at home!

rexesgaggle.jpg

What’s your band called - I take it not Self Drive Dorset?!

13 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Did you use the Dwarf?

Yep, always, its my only thing on my pedalboard these days (and the keyboard). I did a new patch last night as the sample player used to come out of channel 2 and bass came out of channel 1, but I thought as someone else was doing the sound, I would put the output of the sample on 1 as well to go through my amp, and at the same time, I put a chorus on there for 'Who knew' as well.

5 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

What’s your band called - I take it not Self Drive Dorset?!

Well, our full name, self drive plant hire dorset! No, we tend to go by our shorter name of Rexes Hollow.

I would have taken the sign but I am waiting for some fixings so we can hang it up somewhere!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Ya. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to not have earthquakes. Most of our old grand theatres are are condemned because nobody has the coin to bring them up to where they need to be to not fall on top of 500 people in a quake.

The only reason they are still standing is they haven't had a proper quake yet. The empire builders who got them built were long dead before seismic engineering was invented.

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

We have earthquakes in Wales. Just small, civilised ones.

So, in NZ and Wales, sheep have another thing to be nervous of.

Sorry

Edited by BillyBass
  • Haha 3

It was ok! First one since 17th June with 4 Play (🙈). Black Bull, Kirton. Landlady wants us back next year. Crowd seemed happy enough, but some rust showing in places - the guitarist doesn’t play in other bands whereas the rest of us are out most weekends with other bands and it shows. But overall, ok! Some sort of pub slash caravan site next. Hellooooo Holbeach Hurn! Beer and nuts time now 👏🏻

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

rexesgaggle.jpg

That’s a Bongo into an Ashdown into a Vanderkley, right? Yeah, that’ll cut through the mix. Love that red!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

We played the same gig later in the evening (just got home now at 1:30am) shame we missed you.

It was a really nice place, hopefully we'll get invited back next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 3below said:

Landed Festival, Mid Wales, Friday night.  Excellent PA and really well mixed.  The stage (trailer) seemed to absorb the sound and for the first time ever, BF Dubster and Peavey Tour 700 required PA support as well.  Chowny fretless (another BC purchase) worked really well.  Band is called Glyderau (a Welsh mountain range), all original material. Magus is Ben Grant, Freelance sound engineer, PA Hire & Location Recording, who ran the sound system - really good.  The chappie on the right clearly enjoyed himself.

landed.thumb.jpg.7337f23b2f551f93c98eb7ac12f1dee5.jpg

Nice to see the Chowny getting an outing!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, casapete said:

Last night we played at Manchester Opera House, which is a magnificent Edwardian theatre right in the 

heart of the city centre. Had a nightmare journey up from Swindon - a major accident turned the M6 

into a car park - so arrived very late after a five and a half hour journey. Fortunately our sound and 

lighting guys had got there on time, having travelled up the night before. Had a fairly quick sound 

check, despite having more PA than usual due to the size of the theatre (around 1,900 seater), and

sounded fine. Lots of bass bins meant I was very happy!
The gig went well - had over 1,400 people in so it felt quite full. Lots of audience singing and dancing

which is always a good sign. People doing this in the upper balcony looked quite dangerous from 

the stage! Got another big theatre today at Sunderland Empire so looking forward to that one too.

( just noticed our PA guy Rik photobombed the 1st pic - looks like he’s praying!)

IMG_3322.jpeg

b359b5d9-9e15-4b53-8a38-c18458510b17.jpeg

Nice! I can't believe the high level gigs some of you guys are playing.

Blue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

Nothing fancy last night, a well to do pub in Alcester, it felt like a jazz gig, we were playing to terribly middle class people sat around little tables. They enjoyed and so did we, but it was very different! Playing my local tonight for the first time with this band. 

IMG_8192.jpeg

Nicecto see a regular gig. I was starting to think all you guys were playing upscale theatre gigs and arenas.

Blue

• Like 1

Did our final gig last night before a 3 week summer break at Sunderland Empire theatre.
It’s another great old place, opened in 1907, which has retained all of it’s period charm in

the theatre itself whilst having modern backstage facilities, making it probably my favourite

venue we are lucky enough to visit.

The crew and staff here are the best , and always a pleasure to work with. 
The theatre has a capacity of nearly 2000 (seated over 4 levels), and we had around 1500 in so a

good atmosphere, especially since a few punters had been to the nearby football stadium to 

watch their team play in a friendly match against Majorca, and had a few drinks afterwards.

The gig itself was fine, good sounding room and band played well too. Back home for 1pm with no

travel issues, getting to be a rare occurrence. 

d90fe689-79b4-433b-b8bc-a7a9c2476cfd.jpeg

a9fa7522-61b5-45f1-ac6e-65a71023814a.jpeg

Edited by casapete
Speling
  • Like 17

8 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

That’s a Bongo into an Ashdown into a Vanderkley, right? Yeah, that’ll cut through the mix. Love that red!

That Bongo was the first thing i clocked when looking at that pic too. Gorgeous looking bass.

Dave

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Nice! I can't believe the high level gigs some of you guys are playing.

Blue 

Pete's band are at the top of their game and playing some of the best gigs in UK. Afraid the rest of us are doing similar things to you Daryl.

Other than the HD Museum of course you lucky sod :biggrin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Four gigs in four days. All weddings and a ton of driving involved.

Weds - (Kent) really uneventful and reserved with most people thinking about work the following day.

Thurs - (Manchester) Friendly and enthusiastic crowd. LGBTW wedding with a really cool vibe. Had a lot of fun.

Fri - (Stratford On Avon) Bride was lovely, Groom was a grade a **** who was far more interested in getting hammered with his football mates and being as obnoxious as possible. Completely ignored his new wife all night and at the end of the night had to be carried out of the venue.

Sat - (Cambridgeshire) everything that's good about being in a wedding band. Lovely couple, great food (proper wedding cake), big enthusiastic crowd and a friendly venue. Also got to meet basschatter @silverfoxnik on the way up who has been an absolute legend and is helping me get a few (rather heavy) bits to another basschatter this week.

Time to reintroduce myself to my wife and kids today and cook some nice food and enjoy some family time.

Edited by mrtcat
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Pete's band are at the top of their game and playing some of the best gigs in UK. Afraid the rest of us are doing similar things to you Daryl.

Other than the HD Museum of course you lucky sod :biggrin:

Dave

Cheers Dave, we never take doing great venues for granted though. The band has now been going for

over 17 years, and I’ve been with them for over 12. During that time we’ve done a fair few dives and 

places we’d rather forget, so it is nice to be able to play gigs which are better suited now to a bunch

of old geezers ( not including our string section in that of course!).

Having said that, I’m playing at a nice old music pub in Beverley later today with my acoustic duo.

Still get a massive buzz from doing small gigs where the audience are near, and can see myself

doing that for as long as I continue playing.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

close, it's a bongo into an ashdown into a basschat 1x12, and it really did!

9 hours ago, TheRev said:

We played the same gig later in the evening (just got home now at 1:30am) shame we missed you.

It was a really nice place, hopefully we'll get invited back next year.

yeh, I asked when you were on but the people with the PA were on at 4 and they didn't know. We were the second on the truck. You will probably get asked back, that's why we are there, we did last year gagglefest and played there another two times. It's been good each time (last years weather was better!) and my wife is happy to come along as she can play with the goats!