Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

'Cross stage' monitoring only, how was that? Or were you wearing in-ears?

The front row were on in-ears (2 x wireless, 1 x wired) me, drums and keys were on wedges.

It's the best compromise for us at the moment, until I win the lottery and can afford a full rack of sennheiser IEM's! 🤣

31 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Ach not far from me, I’d have come said hello

1st time was fairly quiet on a Sat night but the staff said it was same every weekend. This time it was pretty full which made all the difference.

Have to say i enjoyed this one a lot.

Easy load in from side door car park too.

To be honest i don't really get much time to talk with people as we can't really mingle between sets with the gear changes taking up our break at some venues. Did get a lot of requests for pics with the band at end of the show which was a really nice end to a great day out.

All that and finished at 6pm loaded by 7pm and home for 9pm via kebab shop. What more do you need from a gig other than paid too. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

Bit of a trek down to Swindon Wyvern Theatre today. Air con in the band bus a bit intermittent but

we managed to get there without too much grumbling. Good gig to a full venue, hot on stage though

even with two big fans on full. Up to Manchester tomorrow, so hope it’s a bit cooler.

IMG_3313.jpeg

a8cd3995-bfab-4d3a-8e7c-30393e2fa6b7.jpeg

• Like 17

On 24/07/2023 at 13:21, Bluewine said:

"Hi Gang

Maple  Road will be performing this week on Thursday 7/27 @ The Washington County Fair.

We'll have Tim Sardina on drums. We'll be on the Do Drop In Stage. We start at 5:00."

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Access to the stage might be tricky. I hope we draw a cool engaged crowd 

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

IMG_20230724_134504.jpg

Not good, the whole thing really bad. Nothing clicked . I've nothing more to say.

Blue

FB_IMG_1690511902637~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not good, the whole thing really bad. Nothing clicked . I've nothing more to say.

You have to have the bad ones to appreciate the good ones. Most of my 'bad ones' (and there have been more than a few) have turned into anecdotes and stories we now laugh about. Even if it is a kind of hysterical 'glad that's over' kind of laughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

FB_IMG_1690511902637~2.jpg

Ouch sorry to hear Daryl. Sometimes it happens.

Forget it and move on to next great gig.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ouch sorry to hear Daryl. Sometimes it happens.

Forget it and move on to next great gig.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

We'll  get the next one. Yeah, after the first set Jenny looked at me and said

" nothing is working for me ".

Next week we have the Wisconsin State Fair.

Daryl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

You have to have the bad ones to appreciate the good ones. Most of my 'bad ones' (and there have been more than a few) have turned into anecdotes and stories we now laugh about. Even if it is a kind of hysterical 'glad that's over' kind of laughter.

Agreed, the high point of the night was being approached by a lady who had seen me  in the video shoot I did with Terry Sweet.  The " Days Of Dyanna" video .

She was very nice. My response;

" I can see that it's hard for you to believe your actually standing here talking to me" 😆 

Blue

• Haha 5

We played at a small festival at the weekend (split across multiple venues in a local town). First gig was awful due to a terrible sound person. I turned round during our set and found him looking through the instruction manual for the mixing desk... tbf that was an improvement on being at the bar drinking! Tbf, our guitarist had knocked the bass control (and his volume 🤔) on one of his presets on his pedalboard so I actually turned off during one song to make a point.

Second gig was much better, sound engineer was brilliant, no over loud guitarist issues (turning my bass off did the trick here).

Mixed weekend but got to take the bad with the good. Annoyingly only got a single gig in August due to band member holidays so if anyone knows of any dep gigs going in the Portsmouth area give me a shout :D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

We'll  get the next one. Yeah, after the first set Jenny looked at me and said

" nothing is working for me ".

Next week we have the Wisconsin State Fair.

Daryl

I've had gigs with both bands that i thought weren't working whether that was the on stage tone, making mistakes, lack of a decent sized audience to encourage you, lack of dancers but at the end of the songs we get good applause and good feedback at end of the night.

What was it that made you feel it wasn't a good gig ? Anything specific or just a combination of little things. ?

Dave

• Like 2

I had one the Weds before last; usual jam night, same setup as always, same kit, same room, same people (well, our hosting trio, at least)...just couldn't get out of first gear. Nothing definite, nothing like a 'disaster gig', but it just sounded mostly rubbish - I was faffing about with the bass tone for about ten minutes to no avail (and I'm normally about two and a half minutes from walking in the door, setting up, getting a tone and going to the bar), and the harder I tried to bring it back, the more it persisted. Last Weds was night and day better (as it usually is), for no reason...it just happens sometimes...

• Like 4

Pretty good. Played at an open mic/Jam night as part of the house band. Busked my way through a good few songs that I've not played before, but with musicians that I knew, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Didn't take an amp, so was reliant on the house PA; I reckon next time I'll take a feed from the mixer into a set of IEMs.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've had gigs with both bands that i thought weren't working whether that was the on stage tone, making mistakes, lack of a decent sized audience to encourage you, lack of dancers but at the end of the songs we get good applause and good feedback at end of the night.

What was it that made you feel it wasn't a good gig ? Anything specific or just a combination of little things. ?

Dave

We had nobody dancing. Sound on stage was awful and I know Jenny and Rory couldn't hear any bass.

Blue

• Thanks 1

We had nobody dancing. Sound on stage was awful and I know Jenny and Rory couldn't hear any bass.

Blue

It sucks when you have a frustrating night like that, I hope you get a better experience next time around. 

• Like 2

Blue

Gotcha i can see how that sucked. (thats me using American twang to put you at ease there Daryl 😀)

Sure you'll bounce back next one. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

Last night we played at Manchester Opera House, which is a magnificent Edwardian theatre right in the 

heart of the city centre. Had a nightmare journey up from Swindon - a major accident turned the M6 

into a car park - so arrived very late after a five and a half hour journey. Fortunately our sound and 

lighting guys had got there on time, having travelled up the night before. Had a fairly quick sound 

check, despite having more PA than usual due to the size of the theatre (around 1,900 seater), and

sounded fine. Lots of bass bins meant I was very happy!
The gig went well - had over 1,400 people in so it felt quite full. Lots of audience singing and dancing

which is always a good sign. People doing this in the upper balcony looked quite dangerous from 

the stage! Got another big theatre today at Sunderland Empire so looking forward to that one too.

( just noticed our PA guy Rik photobombed the 1st pic - looks like he’s praying!)

IMG_3322.jpeg

b359b5d9-9e15-4b53-8a38-c18458510b17.jpeg

Edited by casapete
Photo
  • Like 19

57 minutes ago, casapete said:

Last night we played at Manchester Opera House, which is a magnificent Edwardian theatre right in the 

heart of the city centre. Had a nightmare journey up from Swindon - a major accident turned the M6 

into a car park - so arrived very late after a five and a half hour journey. Fortunately our sound and 

lighting guys had got there on time, having travelled up the night before. Had a fairly quick sound 

check, despite having more PA than usual due to the size of the theatre (around 1,900 seater), and

sounded fine. Lots of bass bins meant I was very happy!
The gig went well - had over 1,400 people in so it felt quite full. Lots of audience singing and dancing

which is always a good sign. People doing this in the upper balcony looked quite dangerous from 

the stage! Got another big theatre today at Sunderland Empire so looking forward to that one too.

( just noticed our PA guy Rik photobombed the 1st pic - looks like he’s praying!)

IMG_3322.jpeg

b359b5d9-9e15-4b53-8a38-c18458510b17.jpeg

Looks an amazing venue.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, alant said:

Looks an amazing venue.

It’s one of the most impressive theatres we play. Built in 1912, it later lapsed into being used as a bingo hall-

unbelievable! I’ve attended a few gigs there since it reopened in the early 80’s, best one being a Steve Winwood

concert recorded for the BBC. You know it’s got history when it has special rooms allocated for stuff like this - 

IMG_3321.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, alant said:

Looks an amazing venue.

Ya. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to not have earthquakes. Most of our old grand theatres are are condemned because nobody has the coin to bring them up to where they need to be to not fall on top of 500 people in a quake.

The only reason they are still standing is they haven't had a proper quake yet. The empire builders who got them built were long dead before seismic engineering was invented.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1