Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I think there's a place for " loud" as long as it's  good "loud".

Blue

I agree but I don’t want loud, I just want audible. The blues band I play in is too loud; mostly driven by the drummer, who also suffers from tinnitus LoL. I wonder why? I would like a happy medium: audible but not deafening. Anyway, I’ve hijacked the thread. Let’s see how the next gig goes!

• Like 1

Thursday supporting Terrorvision at HMV Empire in Coventry. The van said 30°C when we got to the load in. There's an ancient lift to take the gear up, but people have to walk the 48 stairs up to back stage. I reckon I went up and down at least 10 times during the course of the evening and my legs are still feeling it 4 days later!

Ace venue, good sound on stage, and a great reception despite the fact most of the people there had no idea who we (Headsticks) are

WhatsAppImage2023-06-15at21_14_43.thumb.jpeg.fe890f6ef4340efc2f1c8f3f8d84de2e.jpeg

• Like 25

10 hours ago, Obrienp said:

I agree but I don’t want loud, I just want audible. The blues band I play in is too loud; mostly driven by the drummer, who also suffers from tinnitus LoL. I wonder why? I would like a happy medium: audible but not deafening. Anyway, I’ve hijacked the thread. Let’s see how the next gig goes!

Yep. Audible. Is that too much for us to ask? Apparently if you're a singer or keys player then yes it is.

• Like 5

I’m in the house band that does a weekly blues jam , and a couple of the younger regulars managed to get a gig at the old dive. One has been studying music in Boston at Berklee , the other is more of a primitive , but a nice player. They invited the Sunday rhythm section to do the gig. So we had a couple of geezers and the kids , it was a fun night.

IMG_8066.jpeg

• Like 15

5 hours ago, msb said:

I’m in the house band that does a weekly blues jam , and a couple of the younger regulars managed to get a gig at the old dive. One has been studying music in Boston at Berklee , the other is more of a primitive , but a nice player. They invited the Sunday rhythm section to do the gig. So we had a couple of geezers and the kids , it was a fun night.

IMG_8066.jpeg

Nice photo.  How are the ribs ?

Blue

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Nice photo.  How are the ribs ?

Blue

Food is really good in the old dive. It’s the local blues dive although now you can sometimes hear old time and alt country there too. Roots music. It’s a good sounding room. 

• Like 1

Jam night was fun this month.  All the bands were really on it with so great singalongs and leg shakers. Our usual singer couldn’t join us so the guitarist and I shared vocals.  I’ve done a bit of backing vocals in the past, but haven’t sung lead for over 20 years (it showed I think!).  One of the other musicians joined us for Brown Eyed Girl, so a proper jam.  Here’s a video montage of our set:

https://youtu.be/_6olto1VOLw

• Like 6

2 hours ago, msb said:

Food is really good in the old dive. It’s the local blues dive although now you can sometimes hear old time and alt country there too. Roots music. It’s a good sounding room. 

Sounds like my band would fit  in there.👍

Blue

9 hours ago, msb said:

IMG_8066.jpeg

No cover = free admission, right?

6 hours ago, tvickey said:

Our show at Mama Liz's in Stamford went really well (nice venue and really great organizers).  Someone in the crowd even posted a video of us on YouTube:

Thanks for sharing. There’s plenty of energy in your band.  The contrast between the somewhat impolite lyrics, followed by a polite “thank you very much” when the song ended made me smile.😎

Edited by Simon C
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No cover = free admission, right?

… free admission but there’s a base pay and then a tip jar , the jar was quite full ! It’s just a mid sized room but there was a good sized crowd. The kids did a good job of dragging folks out.

15 hours ago, msb said:

There used to be a No Mustang Sally sign on the side of the stage…

Blues club I used to go to had a "Strictly No Voodoo Chile" sign in the dressing room. IIRC, only The Hamsters were given an exemption... 

• Like 1

Just now, tony_m said:

Blues club I used to go to had a "Strictly No Voodoo Chile" sign in the dressing room. IIRC, only The Hamsters were given an exemption... 

The Hamsters - what a great band they were👍

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tony_m said:

So "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" is fair game? ;)

• Haha 1