Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played my first gig with a 4 x 10 AND a 1 X 15 and f**k me did the 15 make a difference my tone was clear yet trouser flapping, I'm very happy with my set up at the moment :)

The gig itself was a lot a fun, we played to 7 people plus the bands but it was a good atmosphere, the first band was a 7 piece Ska band scaled down to an acoustic guitar and a sax, now they haven't played for 2 years and kept on forgetting songs halfway through, it was very,very funny. The second band were called The Submission they were very Rancidy they were incredible, they had a 17 year old girl on bass and she was a cut above, hugely talented.

Then we played and we had a lot of fun, not sure how good we are but who cares.

Last night was a wedding gig with my function band and it was a cracker.

Everything ran over as seems to be the norm for weddings but we had time to sit and chill out and decided on a ten o'clock start one long set.

We were less than 20 seconds into our first song, Valerie, and the dance floor was rammed and stayed that way until we played our last note at about 12.15 !!

Brilliant gig with superb "up for it" guests

Another wedding tonight so hoping for more of the same

PS We also broke our "amount received" by a £100 so good news all round

Really enjoyed our gig last night as support to the mighty Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell).

The only negative was the promoter cocked up the timings and we only had a twenty minute slot.

It was great to see some pro musicians in action.

Andy Powell came over as a decent bloke, he signed my original Pilgrimage LP from 1971.

The bass player had a nice sound with a Musicman five string, Hartke head and 1x15, 4x10 Galien Kruger cabs.

Played at Groove on the Green yesterday afternoon. To be honest I didn't feel great about it. Typical sound man doing a lightening quick soundcheck and then when you ask for more of a particular thing in the monitors he pretends to be turning the knob on the desk and then as soon as you start playing he turns all the monitors off! What is their problem?!?! Why do they have to be the stereotype arse with musician envy and screw up your live sound so you sound crap! At one point a techy actually crept up behind me and turned my amp off! I nearly punched him! :)

Played Holloway rd,Londoncestershire...The Gaff.

Turned up REALLY early,it played to our advantage,Only band to get a full soundcheck....asked if the soundguy wanted a line out from the house rig,or the DI..(His eyes lit up).."The Sansamp man..Best thing for Metal"...so 1: nil there...

Soundcheck...

Scott brought the geetar I had Jim modify...Invader P/U...and a set of 12s,it made a big (read--better) difference. Had a half hours worth but was all done in 20 mins,we work fast us northern WMC types...

GIG...

Took the room by the balls and squeezed.....We took the place apart,the sound was phat,I am SOOOOO happy that Larry DiMarzio and Tech 21 exists,the Sansamp did its bit and my sound thundered....Tight,heavy....good..and most of all entertaining.

Aftermath...

Lot of nice words...definite rebookings promised...sow'd the seeds of a fanbase in London....

In short ...JOB DONE!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='490411' date='May 17 2009, 11:30 AM']There's a society of Pirates?[/quote]

Yep.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2222838880"]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2222838880[/url]

Heres a pic at the gig, I had the glasses put on me mid-song.

[quote name='Clarky' post='490590' date='May 17 2009, 03:26 PM']Don't you mean glaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrses?[/quote]

Ha!

Gig last night was the monthly "I Love West Yorkshire" night at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds. First gig with a brand new guitarist so was a bit edgy, true to form with this band, absolutely nothing went right in the logistics of getting there and getting set up but gig itself was ok.

I live pretty close to the venue so foolishly decided that I could walk there with 2 basses, a backpack of bits and a combo on a handtruck (has worked really well in the past. As I was halfway up the road the wheels on the truck decided to fold inwards making the whole load unmovable, it was at this moment that I spotted a policeman walking behind me giving me some suspicious looks. attempted a quick fix but just wasn't happening, so had to hail a taxi and pay him 5 quid to take me 5 minutes up the road, very frustrating.

Anyway turned up at the pub where the band were meeting and no sign of the new guitarist. Headed over to the venue in time for the soundcheck, still no sign of him. Couldn't get him on the phone so had to soundcheck without him and prepare to play as a 3 piece. The guy turns up with 10 minutes before we go on, didn't have the time or inclination to discuss it so just prepared the best we could.

The super friendly soundguy did a brilliant job of a basically live mix of the band, the show went down pretty well with the small audience and we got through without any glaring problems, think we gained a couple of new converts, got rid of loads of CDs and quite a few came up to us after saying they enjoyed it. Will have to have a chat with the new guy about timekeeping but was pleased with the gig once it got underway.

Very impressed with the soundman and the other bands playing.

First two gig weekend for me for some time. Friday night was a May ball at a rugby club, marquee with 250 guests who were all up for having a good time so the dancefloor was crowded throughout. Mustang Sally and Valerie were our most popular songs :wacko: Free food and bar tab for the band and we got paid well, all in all a good night.

Saturday was a local pub gig and was just as enjoyable even though we only ended up with £20 each, when there are 9 of you in the band pub money doesn't go very far. This was the first gig I can remember for about 10 years where I didn't play Mustang Sally :rolleyes: Still played Valerie though :)

[quote name='rOB' post='490884' date='May 17 2009, 09:28 PM']Gig last night was the monthly "I Love West Yorkshire" night at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.[/quote]

Aha! Wondered why Brudenell sounded familiar- I helped draw some plans for a house in Brudenell court- must be nearby?

That was driving me nuts. Phew! :)

the umpteenth high class wedding function..... an hour before the gig..... guitarist managed to slam the boot of my Audi shut on his fingers (pick hand) several black finger nails later and several pint glasses of ice.... he is still trying to play guitar.... I've never seen an 19 stone welsh guy cry before..... and all this for playing a Bryan Adams 'fist dance' number...
anyway good night..... more gigs from it and a decent gash of MILF!!!! More reports coming....

the umpteenth high class wedding function..... an hour before the gig..... guitarist managed to slam the boot of my Audi shut on his fingers (pick hand) several black finger nails later and several pint glasses of ice.... he is still trying to play guitar.... I've never seen an 19 stone welsh guy cry before..... and all this for playing a Bryan Adams 'fist dance' number...
anyway good night..... more gigs from it and a decent gash of MILF!!!! More reports coming....

Played the Dublin Castle tonight as part of a punk evening. I like the venue but the crowd was thinner than usual and the on-stage sound was not up to much (could barely hear the guitar). Plus they had the ubiquitous cheap combo I keep encountering in London gigs - an Ashdown MAG, which I hate the sound of. Next time I will bring my MarkBass combo, even if it makes travel slightly trickier than simply slinging a gig bag on your back.

Slight tangent as I was listening.

Anyone played The Fleet in Pompey on Sunday the 24th May? If so, like I said while drunk, props to using a Chapman stick live and the Eden 4x10 and 1x15 stack sounded lush out in the audience.

Edited by Buzz