Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We had a jazz gig at Sutton Coldfield FC with the seven piece last night. It all went very well and they'll probably have us back although we are booking on a two -year cycle these days. I'm having a bit of trouble with my new gear, AI Clarus, 12" Wizzy, Fishman Pro EQ preamp from Underwood pickup. I'm getting too much lows and not strong enough highs. To make matters worse our front speakers won't handle the bass at my volumes so it's all having to come 'from the back'. I'm rolling bass off from the two preamps and just about getting something passable.

Tomorrow Chipping Ongar, Monday Rotherham - it's a good life.

PS (Mr Angry mode) why do punters always hang around the exit at the end when you want to get the gear out?

[quote name='bassace' post='173676' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:24 AM']We had a jazz gig at Sutton Coldfield FC with the seven piece last night. It all went very well and they'll probably have us back although we are booking on a two -year cycle these days. I'm having a bit of trouble with my new gear, AI Clarus, 12" Wizzy, Fishman Pro EQ preamp from Underwood pickup. I'm getting too much lows and not strong enough highs. To make matters worse our front speakers won't handle the bass at my volumes so it's all having to come 'from the back'. I'm rolling bass off from the two preamps and just about getting something passable.

Tomorrow Chipping Ongar, Monday Rotherham - it's a good life.

PS (Mr Angry mode) why do punters always hang around the exit at the end when you want to get the gear out?[/quote]

Have you tried putting just a little of your bass through the PA?
I find just a smidgen is enough to throw it a long way into the auditorium so the people at the back can hear it but without blastig the front row and without doing any sonic damage to the rest of the stuff going through the PA -ie real "sound re-inforcement"

[quote name='bassace' post='173676' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:24 AM']PS (Mr Angry mode) why do punters always hang around the exit at the end when you want to get the gear out?[/quote]

Tell me about it.

We played a small WMC in north London last month. Get in wasn't the best but easy enough as the place wasnt open. come the end of the night there was a fight in the rear exit (ooo err) so there was no way of getting out that way and the way the tables had been moved during the night (it was a diner and dance of some sort) there were now people leaning across both tables talking to each other and blocking the only other way out. These were all over 50 and pissed up. We ended up having to put our gear on the tables and slide them across and not one of the F@~@ers batted an eyelid other than to make sure their pints were spilt.
It was a good gig and we were willing to cut our price and go back but after having to wait nearly an hour to get out we wont bother going back for those ungrateful gits unless they pay the going rate.

Ah, i feel better now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OldGit' post='173682' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:31 AM']Have you tried putting just a little of your bass through the PA?
I find just a smidgen is enough to throw it a long way into the auditorium so the people at the back can hear it but without blastig the front row and without doing any sonic damage to the rest of the stuff going through the PA -ie real "sound re-inforcement"[/quote]

Thats what i do now. Its only a vocal PA but we mic the guitars and DI the bass just for a bit of throw. Our PA wouldn't be able to handle the bass at full volume but it does help get the bass out to people further back without me having to blast it out on stage.
Its almost like Bi amping as i keep the low end backed off a bit in the PA.

[quote name='OldGit' post='173682' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:31 AM']Have you tried putting just a little of your bass through the PA?
I find just a smidgen is enough to throw it a long way into the auditorium so the people at the back can hear it but without blastig the front row and without doing any sonic damage to the rest of the stuff going through the PA -ie real "sound re-inforcement"[/quote]

OG, Im finding that even a small bit of vol rattles the cones. It's these speakers; I never had the problem with the last band. The trouble with jazzers on the road is they like to keep the gear on the smallish side.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='173690' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:40 AM']Thats what i do now. Its only a vocal PA but we mic the guitars and DI the bass just for a bit of throw. Our PA wouldn't be able to handle the bass at full volume but it does help get the bass out to people further back without me having to blast it out on stage.
Its almost like Bi amping as i keep the low end backed off a bit in the PA.[/quote]

Yup That's it, and a tiddly bit of bass drum too for the same reason.

Actually since I got the MarkBass/Schroeder rig I've generally stopped doing it unless the hall has odd sound as it's very audible all over now just from the cab. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='173700' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:46 AM']Yup That's it, and a tiddly bit of bass drum too for the same reason.

Actually since I got the MarkBass/Schroeder rig I've generally stopped doing it unless the hall has odd sound as it's very audible all over now just from the cab. :)[/quote]

yeah, having the bass drum in the PA (and up quite loud) really helps the overall sound.
Like you my rig really doesn't need any help but at sound check i wander around the room and sometimes it does feel that the bass is a bit lacking over the guitarists side of the room. just a hint of bass in the PA helps even it out.

I have noticed recently that one of the PA speakers is on its way out and i have to keep the low end backed off otherwise it makes a buzzing sound.

Edited by dave_bass5

Last Saturday at local hockey club Annual Presentation night.

Started at 9pm after a few drinks and a nice 3 course sit down meal (all in!!!!).

Guests up and dancing from second song, always girls!!! Nice.

Sound good, but decided I need a bigger cab, on stage volume was a little thin with my 2 x 10 (DI'd into PA).

GAS for a 4x10 now!!!!!

Nice night, punters enjoyed it and we are booked for next year already. £100 each plus dinner. Cant be bad for an evenings work.......and loads of totty to bog at.

Last night... up to Edinburgh - the Jam House in the City Centre.

The promoter put us in to replace Hogan's Heroes 'cos poor Albert has injured his hand.

As a result, there wasn't too much promotion. There were quite a few in, but the gig is HUGE so it still felt quite sparse. Good fun, though.. nice house PA, good fee and a lovely wonder around Auld Reekie beforehand.

The FOH guy couldn't cope with my Tubepath's scorching hot DI, so I used my EBS Microbass II pre (probably for the last time before I sell it :) ). It worked a treat.

The Tubepath is in with a tech now to get a mod which will calm the DI down to a more manageable level.

Here's a photo of the stage from the balcony:

Our next gig is a theatre in Bridgewater, Somerset. It's a seven hour drive, but.. it's sold out. So it'll be worth it!

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='neilb' post='173770' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:05 AM']Last Saturday at local hockey club Annual Presentation night.

Started at 9pm after a few drinks and a nice 3 course sit down meal (all in!!!!).

Guests up and dancing from second song, always girls!!! Nice.

Sound good, but decided I need a bigger cab, on stage volume was a little thin with my 2 x 10 (DI'd into PA).

GAS for a 4x10 now!!!!!

Nice night, punters enjoyed it and we are booked for next year already. £100 each plus dinner. Cant be bad for an evenings work.......and loads of totty to bog at.

[/quote]

OK so when did Bill Murray take up bass :)

we played the Cambridge battle of the bands. Great audience, including our own Charic.

We got the highest AND the lowest score of any of the bands - one judge gave us 7 out of 40 and another 30something. We are Marmite! dead chuffed that we are officially not mediocre.

We didn't win. Good laugh though, played to a new audience and made some new friends.

Richmond Arms Bournmouth last night with the Ben Fletcher band. Nice venue with access straight onto the stage from the car park. Good crowd very receptive.I tried out my Presonus tube pre with my Markbass LM2 and it made the fretless sing. I really need to get my hearing checked out though, it seems after 43 years of bass playing Ive lost a lot of upper frequency. I think also that I need a Neo cab....here we go...its gas time again!

Light cabs and combos have to be a must have. Same with a good crowd.

We played at the Water Rat, Kings Cross, London last weekend. Great venue with a good stage and great sound guy - 'if the next bands isn't here F@#k em'. The band was Live Wires - a three piece originals outfit so lots of scope for bass end rumble. Sound on stage and out front was fab and we got rebooked despite having the after work 7.30 spot. Next is the Spice of Life, Cambridge Circus - 3rd May.

Stevie B

I played the first gig with my Pbass that i bought off dylanb last night. what can i say! i'm a convert. a great sound and a treat to play. the pub we played at used to be a house i think rather than the other way around. very small room. started off at low volume but when it filled up and people got dancing we turned it up. i'm getting payed for this. great stuff.

Bridgwater Arts Centre, Somerset..

A six and a half hour drive(!) which, thankfully, was faiirly uneventful. The gig is a small theatre on a really impressive Georgian street in the town.

The load-in was a pain... just as well the PA was provided. Still.. lovely people and a sell-out at 170.

The stage volume was very manageble so I took the plunge and used my Mesa Scout combo for the first time. Holy crap.. it's fab! How it puts out tha volume is a mystery.

So.. it was a great night. The only downside is that our travel tavern is in the middle of nowhere and we're not leaving until ten o'flippin'clock.

Time for a walk around the car-park...

I had two, friday was a boozer in kent, that was a really cool gig, and saturday was in burnham on crouch, essex, that was a birthday party, the birthday girl was trashed from the moment we got there, but it was also a really good night! I also used my levinson blade 5 for the first time, with my new korg ax3000b fx, great sound. Very different to the fender jag and corvett that i use. Its cool to have 3 basses that sound so differewnt.

The Deer House in the caravan park at Rudding Park in Harrogate which is a regular venue for us. Another great gig with lots of dancers as everyone is either on holiday or having a weekend break so we always go down well.

Two more gigs this week to look forward to plus third rehearsal with my new band.....excellent week of music....I love it !!

40th birthday party in a hotel. All went off really well, played three or four encores, everyone leaping around. Room big though and I struggled all night getting a good tone. Too boomy/too thin/too boomy etc. It was one of those set-ups where you sound really "clacky" on stage and really "woofy" off stage. It goes like that sometimes. Great gig though and we handed out loads of cards afterwards so may get a gig or two off the back of it.

Edited by stingrayfan

It was on Wednesday... but I've 'forgot' this thread for some time, lol.

So, "Combo" music club, here in Kaunas, probably the best sound operators in whole country - sound was awesome.
I don't have a spare compressor, so, when I got into the place, noticed that Trace's combo's without one. Asked a friend ( and probably a tour mate from other band ) to come and see us, and bring a comp, of course :) Finally, he didn't make it, so I've played without one, but sound was quite good.

Show's idea was to a dozen of musicians/bands to play for about 15 minutes each. There was some pop, some funk-rap, some sh*tty punk-rock. And, of course, some 'metal'. We did three Metallica covers.

'Heating' band took all our sound-check time. They s u c k'ed.
Crowd was dead, thankfully some friends came to see us.
Sound was good.
It was a good rehearsal facing other, serious metal gig.

We'll take 'Combo' every month, just because of wonderful PA. And'll do some funky jam next time there :huh:

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='175556' date='Apr 13 2008, 10:39 AM']40th birthday party in a hotel. All went off really well, played three or four encores, everyone leaping around. Room big though and I struggled all night getting a good tone. Too boomy/too thin/too boomy etc. It was one of those set-ups where you sound really "clacky" on stage and really "woofy" off stage. It goes like that sometimes. Great gig though and we handed out loads of cards afterwards so may get a gig or two off the back of it.[/quote]
I had that problem last week Matt - very frustrating! Glad to hear it was a good gig though.

Which is more than I can say for ours last night at the Labour Club in Brighton.. Grim place with a Karaoke bar upstairs, intervals in the evening for Bingo, the Raffle and Play Your Cards Right, lots of brylcream and blue rinses on view;I'm sure you know the kind of place.

We were constantly being asked by the audience to turn down so, instead of going all the way up to No.11, the volume ended up on -11! Requests for 'New York, New York' all evening from an old dear who looked like the twin-sister of the nasty gran in Catherine Tate's show. She kept saying to our singer:

"Come on, fu*king play it, play it! I asked yous nicely first time, just fu*king play it! blink:

So in the end, we dug very deep into our seriously unrehearsed 1950s reptoire so the audience could have a little dance.... All in all, very scary! Music may be the food of love but gigging in places like that is like a sh*t sandwich! :)