Why become a member? ×

bands with two bassists

toneknob

Last week I saw The Humans play at the Scala in London - the line-up was Toyah Wilcox on vocals, Robert Fripp on guitar, Bill Rieflin on bass, and Chris Wong on bass (see www.myspace.com/wearethehumans for more info). All drum parts (not every song had them) came out of a magic box.

What other bands have two bassists? The only ones I can think of right now are Ned's Atomic Dustbin and T*ts Of Death.

Ohhh wow, they sound fantastic! Best version of These Boots I've ever heard, damn Toyah sounds about a million times better than ever before. Cool!

Only thing that springs to mind is a lot of the tracks on My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts have multiple bass parts

Other than that "interesting" Green Day + U2 collaboration, I've never really thought about two bassists playing together. Interesting concept, I guess you could argue there's no difference between having two bassists than having two guitarists. Rythm & Lead Bass? Perhaps not. As long as they stayed out of each other's frequencies I guess it would work. Bands with two drummers work, so why not two bassists?!

[quote name='51m0n' post='760545' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:15 AM']Ohhh wow, they sound fantastic! Best version of These Boots I've ever heard, damn Toyah sounds about a million times better than ever before. Cool!

Only thing that springs to mind is a lot of the tracks on My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts have multiple bass parts[/quote]

the bass on These Boots reminds me of one of the tracks on Sheep Farming In Barnet

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jopci9kzoU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jopci9kzoU[/url]

Edited by Paul_C

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='760550' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:20 AM']Monkeyboy... and err... showaddywaddy?

Havent I seen some of the bigboys, like Marcus for example, have a bassplayer play bass whilst they do their thing!?[/quote]

Good point. Last time I saw Victor Wooten (at the Jazz Caff a couple of years ago) he had Anthony Wellington on 6-string. It may well have been this gig actually:

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='Paul_C' post='760579' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:42 AM']the bass on These Boots reminds me of one of the tracks on Sheep Farming In Barnet

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jopci9kzoU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jopci9kzoU[/url][/quote]

Should be a big 'here's how to use it' sign on all fuzz bass fx pedals pointing at that track :)

Is It Wrong reminds me of Danielle Dax a bit (not entirely sure why) - who is IMO criminally underrated, and utterly, wonderfully bonkers!

How about Big Bottom by Spinal Tap, that has three bassist, plus Derek Smalls on a twin neck.

At a gig a year and a bit ago in Cardiff The Damned ended up with three active bass players on stage, Stu (current), Paul Gray and Bryn Merrick. You could say that four of their bass players were on stage though as Captain was their original bassist, but he just stuck to his guitar duties for this.

The band I was in back in the earlyish 80's had two bass players. We swapped roles in songs with backing or lead vox and extra percusion, but we certainly played a few songs together.

I love seeing two drummers play, that synchro thing just looks so good.

Edited by Marky L

[quote name='Marky L' post='760674' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:05 PM']How about Big Bottom by Spinal Tap, that has three bassist, plus Derek Smalls on a twin neck.[/quote]

Heh, at Live Earth they had most of the bassists from the entire day on with them, as well as all of Metallica and a few others.

I swear there was TV footage of this but I can't find it on youtube.

Edited by Maverick