Why become a member? ×

How Can You Justify Spending £5,350 on a New Bass??

xilddx

I've just read the Gus G3 review in this month's Bass Guitar Magazine.

I simply can not understand that its aesthetics and the minor advances in ergonomics, build quality, and tonal quality and variety is worth spending about THREE AND A HALF THOUSAND QUID extra than your average high end Warwick or some such. I understand how much it costs to build it, but that does not justify its "core worth" as a bass.

If you have money to burn, no problem, I still think you would be totally wasting it on something providing so little extra benefit, and with two chrome saveloys attached to it.

I'm sure it's fabulous, but it is certainly not £4,000 more fabulous than my Corvette $$.

How is it possible to justify that spend on a new bass? And how in the name of Enid Blyton can BGM give it four out of five stars for Value For Money?

Bloody ridiculous.

Edited by silddx

I've not seen the review myself - but I agree - having found one of the best luthiers who in my opinion is creating his own masterpieces without the ridiculous price tag - I see no reason to spend that kinda money on an 'off the hook' bass.

However, if I were just burning money, then I'd like to own John Deacon's 68 P Bass please :)

I can only agree. I used to sit around the £500 figure with gear & it was only last year that I went as high as £1700. I think it depends on your useage though. I'm semi-pro & play a lot. If I was full time perhaps I'd justify a more expensive bass. I'd worry about it being knocked or stolen more though

I can agree too.

Basses like that are purely a luxury, like saying how can you spend X amount on a car when you can get one for half the price, it's being a member of an elite club whilst at the same time paying a master craftsman a lot of money for building you an excellent example of a product.

I have 3 great basses, all worthy of big gigs. One was £598 new, the others were £250 and £750 2nd hand.
I tend to lust after more standard basses (Warwicks, nice Jazzes etc.) and personally think Gus basses are ugly as hell, i wouldn't play one if they were £400 because i'd look a tw@t.

For those that like 'em though nothing else will do

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='752028' date='Feb 20 2010, 06:35 PM']If I was full time perhaps I'd justify a more expensive bass. I'd worry about it being knocked or stolen more though[/quote]

Even then is it worth spending 5k on an instrument?
I'm a pro player and I'd never dream of spending that much on an electric bass. I own some expensive
instruments,but have never paid stupid money. The secondhand market is great-I've never spent over a grand
on a bass guitar.

This is an argument which will always exist, and will never be decided one way or the other as it is based so much on personal opinion. I own a Fodera, which would be a very expensive bass new, and cost me a fair few bob second hand. To me it was worth it - it gives me everything I want it to and is a joy to own and play - although it definitely isn't "perfect".

I personally think that us electric bass players have it pretty good given the amazing selection of top quality instruments available at very modest prices. Perhaps it is not the best comparison, but what would a classical guitar player pay for a top-of-the-line guitar built to their specification from one of the top luthiers in that field? Orchestral players too - have you seen the price of a bassoon lately?! lol!

I think if you were to buy this you would have to be honest and say 'no it's not worth 2 or 3 times a MM, top Fender or Warwick or custom build but I'm buying it for kudos, because i like it, because I have the money and I'm being thoroughly self indulgent and opulent'.
I haven't a clue who it would appeal to though at that price. Pro players aren't interested in basses to show off with, they want 'tools of the trade', something that plays well sounds good and is reliable.

Edited by Marvin

Another thing to bear in mind is personal priorities. Some people like to spend large money on nice cars with all the extras. Me, I'm happy driving my 10 year old Polo that gets me from A to B. If the spare cash becomes available I would sooner put it towards a bass, for example, than towards a car.

Edited by Mokl

I agree it's far too much.

Let's put the whole 'reasonably priced basses perform perfectly well' argument... I have 2 basses, both Luthier build, both with luxury options, one basically built to my exactibe spec from the cut of wood I chose to feel and perform just for me... It cost £3,000 LESS than the G3...

If I can get the bass of my dreams two and a half time over for one G3... You do the maths!

Edited by pantherairsoft

I don't know. It's all relative really IF (and I can't stress enough the IF in this statement) you think it's worth it. I spent 4K on a buzzard and that to me is the best bass ever made as I've always found graphite superior to wood in terms of stability and tone. Sod the fact that I had to give up smoking/drinking/eating for 9 months whilst I was skint to get this. To me it's worth every penny. I'm sure loads of folk will disagree.

However, I'm just as sure that there are folk who think that their beat up Precision copy from Indonesia is the best bass ever. It's what works for you and what sound you want.

Would I pay 5K for the G3? Er, no. Nothing to do with looks, it's just the circuit. It's all boost. What? No cut function on a bass that costs as much as a 2nd hand BMW?!! I think not. NEXT!!

A Corvette is a very nice bass though I've never got on with Warwicks at all due to the neck profile. A bit too chunky for me.

I'm sure that there are just as many people who think that say an Alembic or whatever isn't worth 3 or 4 Musicmans or Fenders. That's not my opinion, just a statement of what I'm sure is fact. I would imagine my profile signature says what sort of bass I like. Just choice really. But a personal one nontheless.

[quote name='Marvin' post='752188' date='Feb 20 2010, 08:38 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66328&hl=bigredx"]BigRedX's basses[/url]
He is a self professed purveyor of the unusual.[/quote]

Like a lot of things, it looks much better in black... :)

Edited by discreet

I doubt it has too much to do with how much it costs to make. I doubt a US fender costs as much to make yet they sell for a grand now new? If the market will support it then they will sell at that price.
Also in a lot our minds more expensive = better. It's not in the manufacturers interest to dispel that. You market a bass outside most people's reach suddenly you have a luxury item, it may only cost you under a grand to make and cover costs but sell it for 5 times that and it is worth more. Your brand is 'worth' more.
You only need to make 10 of them stick them on your website, sell a few if you can. And watch how everyone elsewho can't afford this desirable 5k bass suddenly wants your cheaper basses. Sales go up.

Buy from your local decent luthier and you wont be paying for any value added from the brand. Im sure you could make an identical bass to a fodera or something, just without the butterflies

Its too much for a Bass,,,

But check out how much some folk spend on extras on cars,,, friggin thousands for sports packs, upgrades etc,,, must be 100 top end cars in this village alone,,and to boot,,, gigging over xmas with the snow,, its was all the expensive cars which seemed to get stuck...

I guess some people just have cash to blow on what they are into..,, this would cater for that crowd... :)

[quote name='Toddy' post='752258' date='Feb 20 2010, 09:45 PM']Its too much for a Bass,,,

But check out how much some folk spend on extras on cars,,, friggin thousands for sports packs, upgrades etc,,, must be 100 top end cars in this village alone,,and to boot,,, gigging over xmas with the snow,, its was all the expensive cars which seemed to get stuck...

I guess some people just have cash to blow on what they are into..,, this would cater for that crowd... :)[/quote]
Precisely. Another bass for an idiot from Staines with a management position at Netto.