Why become a member? ×

Spector thread

alanbass1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m quite particular with necks, it’s not nut width I struggle with as I have an ns5crfm that is fine, but it’s the thickness front to back that bothers me. The ‘77LE is absolutely amazing and by far my favourite bass at the moment. Trying to find an Ian hill or Kramer era to try and see if they are more comfortable than my euros. I’ve always been under the assumption that the wimbish is a little deeper than the normal euro?

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 13:23, Defo said:

It is noticeably thinner but still feels substantial - probably not for moshers and metal/crossover types. I play in a prog band and an 80s covers band and it gives me no problems

I have a Doug Wimbish Euro in Amber (didn't realise that they did other colours) but I beg to differ on the metal/crossover thing. I love mine, especially for recording, it's my go-to bass for our band's recording. The sound is immense.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I have a Doug Wimbish Euro in Amber (didn't realise that they did other colours) but I beg to differ on the metal/crossover thing. I love mine, especially for recording, it's my go-to bass for our band's recording. The sound is immense.

It is still a Spector mate 😄

• 10 months later...

My newest edition to the collection is this beauty! Bought blind online and must say I'm impressed, it has a ridiculous tone that is so clear and cuts through so well. My only gripe is that the neck is quite deep up towards the first few frets especially compared to my lakland, but a minor issue 😁 

_20220530_094614.JPG

DSC_1133.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Is it more comfortable than the Doug Wimbish Spector neck? That's the slimmest neck I've played on a 4 string Spector.

Depends what you prefer. I find the Wimbish a little too slim in the lower frets (like a very slim Jazz neck). The Hill is a nice midpoint imho between a Jazz and non-baseball bat P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:17, Clarky said:

Couple more pics of my 2011 Ian Hill (which looks like it sat in its case, untouched, bar the missing control plate screws). Enjoying the slim neck profile

20221110_111429.jpg

20221110_111355.jpg

I had a Euro LX in the same colour scheme (black and gold) a while back and miss it.  That bass of yours is a stunner!

• Thanks 1

Dont think I ever posted my RST in here did I?

IMG_4514.jpeg

Unbelievably light (less than 8lb) and sounds great. Roasted maple neck, body.. I guess carved air - actually probably some kind of paulonia like stuff as there are a few bumps on there. Agular pickups and an agular preamp - a bit confusing as the controls are different from my other Spector, with the knobs in the same place, being volume / volume / bass / treble (instead of Volume / balance / Bass-treble / Mid & freq.

Only downside was I had to replace the jack socket, which was a bit poor as it is had to be less than a year old.

Still, for the price I got it for, not complaining.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Only downside was I had to replace the jack socket, which was a bit poor as it is had to be less than a year old.

If there's one thing I'd replace or look at re-designing in the jack socket on Spectors. You really need to use an angled jack cable with these basses. I've had to replace two on my Euro LX where I've used straight cables and they've accidentality hit against my knee.

• Rich changed the title to Spector thread