Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Heads

neptunehealer

I seem to see a lot of these frequently coming up for sale. A lot of the people selling haven't long purchased one either.
As i am in the market for a new head, it has made me rule these out purely because these are for sale quite regulary.
Are they popular puely because they are lightweight, and are they not being sold on because the tone is too muddy and bland?

Just i am after a decent head with a good versatile tone for a cover band, which can cut through the mix, suggestions welcome.

probably not the best person to reply as I use the LMll in a 2x10 combo config only. I like the amp pretty flat with just the filters working and the cab is deep enough sounding.
Not generally a fan of some of their other cabs
though in terms of looks or sound.. to me they can sound a bit fabby...but I haven't really explored this so maybe
I would have to spend more time with them, but as I have decent cabs, I am not inclined to want to do this for louder gigs

I only use this for small gigs and it is a lightweight but quite powerful solution which is their forte, IMV.

I don't know why they change hands on here a lot...but then I could say that about a lot of kit on here..maybe some people just like to try out lots of gear and then trade it on. Some kit has been through a lot of hands here, doesn't make it neccesarily bad and but does indeed make you wonder.

If 'a lot' appear to be moving around, then that is partly because they were the hot ticket for a long time last year, inevitably in search of tone nirvana, or out of boredom of whatever people move gear on to try the next best thing. Personally I have no reason to move my sa450 at all, it performs perfectly for my needs.

The MB range has some pretty different sounding heads in it, none of which I would describe as bland or muddy. If you love a real fat warm tube overdrive you are probably out of luck (although they have a new head out which is intended to cover this too), but if you want clean and warm or clean and fast (and less warm) you will find something you like.

The LMII and LMIII and F1 and F500 all put out 500w into 4Ohms, and into a reasonably efficient cab with enough cone area you will be fine (into my ae410 it fills an at least 300 capacity room at under half way on the master volume with an appropriately set gain stage). If your cabs arent very efficient then you may need more power (but they go up to 1200 watts, so you should be ablt to find something that will cover it).

Only a personal opinion but some people seem to change their gear more often than their underwear!
I have 2 Markbass heads that i've used for the last 4 years (LM11 & LMK) & think they're great, Absolutely perfect for my requirements & have a very clean, true tone.
And there-in lies the problem, i think, for some people.....
My MB tone is fairly 'transparent' as i rely more on the individual tones of my basses...
i.e my Alembic sounds like an Alembic, my Warwicks have 'that' growl etc. if that makes sense?
I'm not suggesting that others are playing basses of 'lesser quality or tone' but, you kind of know what to expect when you plug a 'Precision' into a SVT (Bad analogy i know but you understand what i'm getting at?).
One thing that took me a long time to understand was personal tone, everyone's is different, even using the same gear as a 'hero', what works for one player sounds like a wasp in a dustbin to someone else.
Also there are a few manufactures out there now making these small/powerful heads, each with a different tone i.e a G.BENZ shuttle sounds different to a Eden to a MB etc with various extra functions such as comp/limiters, valve inputs, 3 band/4 band or graphic eq.
I suppose it's what works for your bass & tone (whatever sound that is?, in your head or through your choice of cab)
Other than that, i think we're all a bunch of fussy b*%$+#@'s with tone paranoia, when half the time we just need the one big volume knob on our amp to hear ourselves over the rest of the band!

[quote name='Bassman68' post='746138' date='Feb 15 2010, 05:24 PM']Other than that, i think we're all a bunch of fussy b*%$+#@'s with tone paranoia, when half the time we just need the one big volume knob on our amp to hear ourselves over the rest of the band![/quote]

Just because we've got tone paranoia doesn't mean our tones aren't crap... :)

I sold my first LMKII because I wasn't gigging, not because it wasn't a great amp.

I traded my second, bought when I started gigging again, for a Markbass combo which has proved the perfect gigging setup for me.

None of them have ever given me a hint of trouble and do everything I want from a bass amp.

If I find myself looking for a new setup in the future then I won't be looking for anything other than a MB amp.

Aye, the LMII was an incredibly popular head and sold bucketloads, combine that with the constant longing for bass gear that most of us have and it's not surprising that there's quite a few floating about in the FS section.

I would say that for every person who sells one there are many more happy users who gig with their's week in week out and have no desire for anything "better"

I love mine, it's going nowhere!

I would hardly say there were loads for sale. I have struggled to find mine. I bought a 250 first, to get on the ladder, and sold it for the F1. That is a keeper.
It is, in part, due to them being so good and sucsessful, there are a "few" nocking around for sale with people who just prefer something else

I'm well happy with my LMII set up, so much so that I hardly bother to read any new amp reviews. Conversely I've had at least 3 new basses in the time I've had the amp, doesn't mean the ones I also sold in that time weren't any good. I have noticed that gear being off loaded on BC goes in waves, currently there seems to be an awful lot of Stingray5s changing hands and no one would say that that is a poor bass.

[quote name='redstriper' post='746360' date='Feb 15 2010, 07:35 PM']Don't buy a jazz or precision bass either - have you seen how many come up for sale on here ? :)

I bought an LM11 after trying a LOT of other amps to replace my old Trace Elliot and I love it, but the best advice in all honesty is to try one for yourself.[/quote]

+1 for that - I thought I'd never sell my us jazz, but I found another bass I wanted so something had to go.

I love my MarkBass F1 - small, light and plenty loud enough

[quote name='discreet' post='747188' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:18 PM']Just out of interest, what do you think [i]are[/i] the best out there? :)[/quote]

I dont really think there is a best. Its all down to what you want and expect from an amp.

For me my MB heads are almost the best. I would prefer a F500 over either of my MB heads but for the very little the F500 would offer i cant justify the cost.
I would also like a SD1200 but thats too much money.
I think the MB heads look pretty ugly and cheap but that doesn't stop them doing the job.

Until one breaks down ill stick with what i have but if i did have to replace one then i guess ill look around for something else but probably end up with a F500 or a LMIII800

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='747221' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:48 PM']I dont really think there is a best. Its all down to what you want and expect from an amp.[/quote]

Thanks for that... looks like it's MB for you whatever happens!

I'm beginning to think maybe a LMII is the way to go... :)

[quote name='discreet' post='747237' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:59 PM']Thanks for that... looks like it's MB for you whatever happens!

I'm beginning to think maybe a LMII is the way to go... :)[/quote]

To be honest i just cant see them breaking down. And as i have two i think these will last me for a long time.

Saying that, i have had other heads since i got my SA450 but they never lasted long. Just something about the MB heads that sounds right to my ears, plus they are loud.
I got a GK 1001RBII to replace the SA450 but it turned out to be not quite as loud, even though its rated slightly higher, and wasn't as full in the low end.

I do quite fancy a TC head as i like the idea of a built in tuner, and even trying a GB head but i have no need to at the moment.
one thing i do notice is the MB heads cost more now than they did when i got mine. That might be a issue if i had to get another one.

[quote name='discreet' post='747188' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:18 PM']Just out of interest, what do you think [i]are[/i] the best out there? :)[/quote]

Honestly?

IMO (and thats all it is) a Bergantino IP112ER and HT112ER with assorted pres to get whatever tone I wanted (Summit TD100, JoeMeek 6Q, a Neve something, an Avalon, some kind of fuzzy tubey thingy).

I am not able to justify the cost of that collection given what I have now, unless I win the next biggest EuroMillions draw, in which case, I'll get out the credit card tootsweet :rolleyes:. Only I'd go for the IP double stack, run in stereo and to hell with the phase issues!