Why become a member? ×

GAS hits of 2010

Linus27

[quote name='Spoombung' post='746284' date='Feb 15 2010, 06:55 PM']I'll come clean; I've been gassing for a 32" scale Bordwell bass for the last two years - ever since I played Davo's beauty.

Examples thus (not Davo's bass):

The smoothest fretted bass I ever played

Works out too expensive for me because of the exchange rate, bank charges, import duties and shipping, VAT etc. Shame.[/quote]

Never played one of Chris's basses but have drooled over them often. I gather they're nice then! I thought about ordering one just before the exchange rate bottomed a year or two ago; that put paid to that.

Hoping for a Rim in the near future (er, I'll rephrase that :) ), still GASsing for another Sei, an ACG would be nice (you're on the list Alan!), always for another Alembic, and flying in the face of my thoughts for many years, I really fancy a P (bass that is).

Edited by 4000

Nick (doctor_of_the_bass) made a very good point to me last year. Now that I've got my dream bass, my '95 Stingray 4 (may not be the thing of deams to most of you, but it means the world to me), I'm going to need to find myself a good P-Bass and a good Jazz...

So, this year I would love to get either a USA Fender CAR P-bass with maple board and gold plate (like a Duck Dunn - I'd never be able to find/afford a propper one) like this

or a lovely lovely lovely Lakland DJ4, preferably in natural with maple neck, black blocks and plate just like Juan Alderette, like this one one the left (that actually belonged to him apparently. I'd kill for that bass!)

:wub:

Oh, and I've now convinced myself that I need a NS WAV 4 too...

[quote name='4000' post='746397' date='Feb 15 2010, 07:53 PM']Never played one of Chris's basses but have drooled over them often. I gather they're nice then! I thought about ordering one just before the exchange rate bottomed a year or two ago; that put paid to that.

Hoping for a Rim in the near future (er, I'll rephrase that :) ), still GASsing for another Sei, an ACG would be nice (you're on the list Alan!), always for another Alembic, and flying in the face of my thoughts for many years, I really fancy a P (bass that is).[/quote]

The CB basses play effortlessly without buzzes all the way up the neck (with great intonation) and the that miraculous heel makes it feel very special.

BTW if you want a P bass go for the Squier - it's incredible.

I've got into the mindset of creating a core bass grouping of three:

- fretted bass - Custom Cliff Bordwell Ball Bass
- fretless bass - Fender Jaco Jazz (highly modified)
- fretless ABG - Godin A4 fretless

I figure that a fretted and a fretless BG is absolutely my core arsenal, but for those URBy sounds an ABG fretless is also worth having.

So, once I'm in this mindset, I think of other basses as purely GAS and so I am able to dampen the flames somewhat ...

Having said all that I keep my looking for an Aug '61 to Aug '62 Fender Jazz, because that is for me the ultimate collectable/mojo BG in the world.

Davo

Edited by Davo-London

I'm really trying for a bit of anti-GAS right now, as I've not had an income for >1 year, and need to make things last. May well be trying to move a few guitars on, although I still want to build more amps (another hobby).

On the bass front, I've not been playing long enough to know what I'd really like yet, but I'm really grateful to own a (cheap) example of THE 2 kinds of bass: jazz and precision. :) No doubt if I make reasonable progress with them there'll be upgrades, a bigger amp and possibly a nicer model or 2, but we'll have to wait and see.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='745663' date='Feb 15 2010, 11:16 AM']Surely a Carvin, not a Conklin?

Personally, I seem quite fixated on an 8 string guitar. Can I play it? Barely. Can I justify it? Absolutely not. Can I afford it? Nope. Do I want one anyway? Totally.

Disclaimer- I would get a long scale one so its practically a bass :lol:[/quote]

Yup, a Carvin :) I must have had a brain to hand malfunction there

8 strings are very cool. I can understand the GAS for that :rolleyes:

[quote name='Spoombung' post='746537' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:13 PM']The CB basses play effortlessly without buzzes all the way up the neck (with great intonation) and the that miraculous heel makes it feel very special.

BTW if you want a P bass go for the Squier - it's incredible.[/quote]

Sounds like my Sei. :)

I tried one of the Squiers in the Gallery next to the MIM 50s classic P, but I much preferred the 50s classic; the neck was wonderful and I vastly preferred the tone. I think that's the one for me, although I haven't played a Roadworn yet and I've heard very good things about them.

More of a wish list than a GAS list

A Warwick Corvette, a Hohner B2A to replace the one I sold many years ago, Epi EB3 ( for my Andy Fraser impressions ) and a Fender of some kind, just to say I had one, probably a Jazz.
I know its Bass Guitars, but a really top notch rig :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='749776' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:49 PM']My GAS is for a Canon 550D and to pay off some of the past two years GAS.

The first is achievable, the second is living in dream land ;-)[/quote]

Dave, my girlfriend is currently going mad about that camera. We are looking for the best deals on it. She had a hit in her car from some idiot who drove off but the MIB have paid her for the damage and all the stress/messing about.

I think shes getting it soon....but she has to sell her older model first.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='749781' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:51 PM']Dave, my girlfriend is currently going mad about that camera. We are looking for the best deals on it. She had a hit in her car from some idiot who drove off but the MIB have paid her for the damage and all the stress/messing about.

I think shes getting it soon....but she has to sell her older model first.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your GF's accident. At least something good will come out of it.

I also need to sell my 40D to fund it but im really excited about this camera. Mainly for the video side.

The last couple of weeks I've had some serious GAS for a Fender Precision - driven in part by listening to Queen Live at Wembley, and just digging John Deacon's tone. I'd love to get back the blue foto-flame MIJ Precision I had waaaaay back - that was a stunner!

More recently I've been gassing for a G&L of some sort. I'm in need of release, but living in a flat I'm very short on space :)

[quote name='M-Bass-M' post='750766' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:27 PM']The last couple of weeks I've had some serious GAS for a Fender Precision - driven in part by listening to Queen Live at Wembley, and just digging John Deacon's tone.[/quote]

Funny you should say that as that gig spurred me on to get back to a 4 string P and also to check out a MM. I watched it for the first time in years over Christmas.
I had never noticed he swapped basses before. I was sitting there thinking how great the P sounds and how good it was that he just uses the one bass, went to the toilet, came back and he was playing a MM.

EDIT: Actually it might have been a different gig come to think of it, still, it was JDs influence.

EDIT2: It was Live in Rio i think. great gig.

Edited by dave_bass5