I own quite an array of quality basses, as follows:

1 PRS pre-90 4 strings - I paid loadsa money for it back then
1 PRS pre-90 5 strings - I paid loadsa money for it back then
1 Stingray 5 - paid £1150 in 2002
1 Bongo 5 - paid £1299 in 2009
1 MusicMan 25th Anniversary - ashamed to admit how much I paid for that one

and...

1 Squier Classic Vibe 51 Precision Bass - paid £234 in Jan 2010

I admit I swapped the original crappy pickup in the Squier for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.

All of the above basses are fantastic and super duper, they all do things that make them them exceptional in one way or another but...

...my question is: why is it that I am having so much fun with this cheapo Squier compared to all of the other more expensive ones listed?

I fear this little thing is slowly becoming my go to bass, it does a lot with that one single pickup, except for harmonics which due to the odd pickup placement only come out on 5th 7th and 12th fret, any in between ones forget it. But still, playability and sound wise, it's so spot on, I just can't put it down!!

Any idea why? I am bu55ered if I know why, but I am just enchanted by it.

Cheers

I know what you mean but it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Bass players can be so wrapped up in having to spend a fortune on a bass that they sometimes forget that you can quite easily get something fantastic for a 1/3 of the price of these boutique basses they have to have.

I know a lot of it is down to workmanship and the materials used but how much this really matters i have no idea.

Then again, this is your only P bass so maybe thats its appeal. Its bound to sound different form your other basses. Something new to you.

No offence meant to anyone, just me thinking out aloud.

Mmm, a question often asked, I'm sure.
I have a similar thing going and I supose it's not recent.
I am lucky enough to have all sorts of things to play but I have learned
over the years that £$£$ doesn't always mean something that you can
bond with. I have mentioned this in another thread, in the past so sorry
if I am repeating myself.
I have only ever bought 4 new basses, all of the others are used.
I spent quite a lot on one of the first Sunburst Jaguars - just couldn't get
on with it.
Some of the used ones I enjoy most, were less than £400 but amongst
some of my favourties, there are some cracking basses at less than half
that and a few at less than that.
As always, best thing to do is, pick it up, play it accoustically, stand up with
it, is it comfortable, pug it in, fiddle with the controls to get a sound you play
play a couple of favourite pieces. :)
Light your fire? Great! If not, move it on.
I too, am enchanted with some really nice instruments that cost me very little.
Enjoy it. :rolleyes:

I know that sometimes I find cheap gear more appealing. If I spend a lot of money on something, it sometimes seems like it's something to be proud of and to admire. Something cheap just seems like more of a work horse and if it gets the job done, the feeling of excitement is as much fun as playing a more expensive bass.

There's also the fact that you've put a new pickup in it. A stock £3k bass might be nice, but if you have a pickup in a squire that gives you the exact tone you want, the squire will be a better bass for your purposes regardless (assuming it plays well, of course :) ).

[quote name='bass5' post='742959' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:03 PM']...my question is: why is it that I am having so much fun with this cheapo Squier compared to all of the other more expensive ones listed?[/quote]

A. It has exceeded your expectations.

B. You've realised you don't need 'bells and whistles' to have a great bass (it's a precision after all)

On a related note, I feel I've reached a point of diminishing returns for the extra money it would take to "upgrade" some of my basses.

Case 1: My Epiphone Les Paul

I got the bass for £170 and spent same again on EMG pickups and EQ. So now I have something which cost me £340 total but is probably only worth £200-250 to sell. What benefit will getting a Gibson Les Paul bring? A name? A better bridge, a selector switch? Nicer wood? It's black, who's going to see it? Not for a net difference of around £500-700, thankyouverymuch. It's just a (I think rather pretty and unusual) container for an EMG suite of products after all.

Case 2: My G&L Tribute L-2000

It has the same pickups as a US G&L, the same design of bridge, better shielding (I'm told) than a US G&L. What benefit will spending another £4-500 on a US G&L bring? A name? More expensive tuners which were put on by someone who didn't forget to take their glasses to work? :) Nicer wood? Body binding? Oh big wow. No thanks.

Just how much of an "upgrade" is it when the "budget" bass is everything the "premium" make/model is in terms of sound if not fit and finish? I'll bet some people stick at this point with Lakland Skylines, the new Warwick Rockbasses and other "top end budget" models.

Edited by neepheid

I think a lot of it comes down to the pure comfort of it, and the attitude in which you play it.

I love my musicman, it's definately my go to, it plays like a dream and just feels right, the action is perfect it sits on my knee nicely, it's comfortable around my neck, not too heavy, the neck slides well, and it's now got enough bumps and scrapes that I've not got the over protective fear you get with new/expensive gear.

My other basses just feel wrong by comparison, not enough space to pop, pickup in the wrong place to rest my thumb, action not set quite right, all those little things that make the MM feel like mine.

I guess you could put some time into making sure all the others are set the best they can be to increase comfort

Expectations, you get a cheap bass and you make allowances, an expensive is expected to be perfect, and everybody likes to convince themselves they've got a bargain. I've got an old Hondo that I like to play but when playing in a band a MIA P justs cuts through better and has a tighter low end

[quote name='Terra' post='743053' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:30 PM']I think a lot of it comes down to the pure comfort of it, and the attitude in which you play it.

I love my musicman, it's definately my go to, it plays like a dream and just feels right, the action is perfect it sits on my knee nicely, it's comfortable around my neck, not too heavy, the neck slides well, and it's now got enough bumps and scrapes that I've not got the over protective fear you get with new/expensive gear.

My other basses just feel wrong by comparison, not enough space to pop, pickup in the wrong place to rest my thumb, action not set quite right, all those little things that make the MM feel like mine.

I guess you could put some time into making sure all the others are set the best they can be to increase comfort[/quote]

Yes I understand precisely what you are saying but unless I had not explained myself correctly (often happens with me being foreign), I did say I love and feel comfortable with all the other basses, and they all serve a specific purpose, and the money I've spent on them doesn't make me regret any of them. I have had the Stingray5 for almost 10 years and thought I was settled with it, done, dusted no more basses needed, end of story so to speak, but then, the kids grew up and went to college, the wife I sent her on her way, the new prettier and younger girflriend comes in, and midlife crisis was easily over and done with, I've learnt about the Bongo and thought that was the dog's blx, and shortly after I was hooked and along came the 25th, then one day someone got me to try the Squier and I though wow, must get! At that price I couldn't believe with little cash so much bass was to be had.

Here it is:

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='743063' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:37 PM']Expectations, you get a cheap bass and you make allowances, an expensive is expected to be perfect, and everybody likes to convince themselves they've got a bargain. I've got an old Hondo that I like to play but when playing in a band a MIA P justs cuts through better and has a tighter low end[/quote]
Ever tried swapping the pups & taking the Hondo out? That'd be an interesting experiment.

Pretty much all of my basses are cheapos (mostly under 3 figures) and I have some absolute stunners. When the bottom line is simply wood & wires - which it is - then it's hard not to end up having the broad impression that big-money basses are more about what they [b]are[/b] than what they [b]do[/b].

I played a Squier the same as the one being discussed & it was lovely - didn't want to put it down. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='743126' date='Feb 12 2010, 02:34 PM']Ever tried swapping the pups & taking the Hondo out? That'd be an interesting experiment.

Pretty much all of my basses are cheapos (mostly under 3 figures) and I have some absolute stunners. When the bottom line is simply wood & wires - which it is - then it's hard not to end up having the broad impression that big-money basses are more about what they [b]are[/b] than what they [b]do[/b].

I played a Squier the same as the one being discussed & it was lovely - didn't want to put it down. :)

Jon.[/quote]
Yeah I put some quarter pounders in it and it didn't make any difference, then I found out mine had been fitted with dimarzio's from new :rolleyes:

[quote name='neepheid' post='743027' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:11 PM']snip

I'll bet some people stick at this point with Lakland Skylines, the new Warwick Rockbasses and other "top end budget" models.[/quote]

I also love my Skyline because it seemed to actually feel better than an American Lakky.
Not to mention the DJ4 only seemed to have dot inlays on the American as opposed to the skyline with the blocks. I think thats the case - I could easily be wrong.

[quote name='bass5' post='742959' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:03 PM']1 Squier Classic Vibe 51 Precision Bass - paid £234 in Jan 2010

I admit I swapped the original crappy pickup in the Squier for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.[/quote]

I am a fan as well and I think mine is pretty darn good. what difference has the SD pick up made compared to stock?

[quote name='bass5' post='742959' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:03 PM']I admit I swapped the original crappy pickup in the Squier for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.[/quote]

I too have a very similar bass, and I also replaced the stock pickup wth the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound.

These are outrageously good pickups - I swear they'll work for anything.

Jennifer

[quote name='bumnote' post='743231' date='Feb 12 2010, 04:05 PM']I am a fan as well and I think mine is pretty darn good. what difference has the SD pick up made compared to stock?[/quote]

Sure... let me explain then:

Original pickup: BOOM BOOM DOO-DOO BOOM

Seymour Duncan: [size=5][b]BOOM BOOM DOO-DOO BOOM[/b][/size]

Simple! :)

Edited by bass5

Price is relative to what you can afford - I'm broke and a cheapskate to boot.
My 2 main gigging basses are both old Tanglewoods, one a Warrior fretted that I got on freecycle and the other a Rebel fretless that cost £23 delivered off ebay.
I'd love a Squier CV jazz and a VM fretless, but can't justify the outlay for new ones.
And the Tanglewoods are both very playable, lightweight with the right sounds for the job in hand.
I've played some expensive bass and they don't make me play, sound, look or feel any better - so what's the point ?

Expensive basses are often expensive because a lot of time and money has gone into making them [i]look good[/i], both from a design point of view, and fancy pieces of timber, expensive and complex finishes etc.

You don't need a bass to look good when you are playing it on your own, only when other people are watching you play it !

[quote name='chrisba' post='743307' date='Feb 12 2010, 05:19 PM']Expensive basses are often expensive because a lot of time and money has gone into making them [i]look good[/i], both from a design point of view, and fancy pieces of timber, expensive and complex finishes etc.

You don't need a bass to look good when you are playing it on your own, only when other people are watching you play it ![/quote]

Why ?

Whoever enjoyed a gig because the bass looked pretty ?

..................................[u]Not[/u] including memebers of this forum ! :ph34r:

Edited to make more sense.

Edited by redstriper