Why become a member? ×

Pino with the Who.

Doddy

First of all...half time, Saints 6-Colts 10

I wasn't blown away with The Who at half time,but Pino was playing an
interesting bass. It appeared to be an unbranded (no name on the headstock-but probably
Fender) Precision with a pair of humbuckers( I think they were chrome covered T-Bird pickups).
It sounded really cool-nice and fat.

Edit......Saints win 31-17

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='738634' date='Feb 8 2010, 01:28 AM']First of all...half time, Saints 6-Colts 10

I wasn't blown away with The Who at half time,but Pino was playing an
interesting bass. It appeared to be an unbranded (no name on the headstock-but probably
Fender) Precisionwith a pair of humbuckers( I think they were chrome covered T-Bird pickups).
It sounded really cool-nice and fat.

Quick update....... Saints 16-Colts 17[/quote]

Looked Fender to me but that could be any number of basses.

N yeah the Who really weren't that great.
I'm starting to think they should quit now, Townshend reminded me of Van Morrison...(which i dont think is the look he wants)

[quote name='ash_sak' post='738636' date='Feb 8 2010, 02:55 AM']Looked Fender to me but that could be any number of basses.

N yeah the Who really weren't that great.
I'm starting to think they should quit now, Townshend reminded me of Van Morrison...(which i dont think is the look he wants)[/quote]

They weren't that great but they had fun and they played their part in the main event. It's a bit of an odd gig, playing the Super Bowl half time.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='738640' date='Feb 8 2010, 02:00 AM']They weren't that great but they had fun and they played their part in the main event. It's a bit of an odd gig, playing the Super Bowl half time.[/quote]

The medley they played, i can see why they did those songs (they're popular n all of that) but it just didn't work for me, they very much seemed like they were cut n pasted together.

Plus was it just me or was Townshend's guitar also having tech. problems n it seemed like someone was singing out of time?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='738683' date='Feb 8 2010, 08:18 AM']where's the book Pete?[/quote]

Yeah, I often wonder.
Whatever he had planned has probably been shelved as his 'research' work is now in a pile marked 'evidence'.

And yes, the Who should call it a day...

Pino is a wonderful man though...

[quote name='chris_b' post='738662' date='Feb 8 2010, 04:39 AM']I've just watched this on Youtube. What does it take to get some praise out of you lot?? It looked pretty damn good to me, warts and all!![/quote]

+1

Great for a couple of pensioners and their team of young carers :)

It's a general audience, not 100% fans as at a Who concert. They have to play a greatest hits medley, especially the TV theme jobs (biggest roars from teh audience) .. and anyway they haven't actually done much for 30 years ....

The lights around the stage were great :rolleyes:

Van Morrison? Nah ..

Because of the negative comments I checked some youtube-stuff...
Uhmmm... this sounds great to me and not at all "old". They can carry on for a long time if they keep this level up.
Weird lot, them British bass-players.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Io05fTLSg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Io05fTLSg[/url]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='738718' date='Feb 8 2010, 09:25 AM']It was great except for Pete, he looked like a drunk old man at a barn dance.

Where was Si last night? :)[/quote]

Ha ha
I checked my diary and A: I wasn't there last night and B: we are available for the gig next year if you can fix it for me, Wayne ....

[quote]I think the actual music sounds great but the vocal performances from Daltry and Townsend are dreadful[/quote]
What? You mean, that they were actually playing and singing live?

...didn't think that was allowed these days.

We played a festival in Austria 4 or 5 years ago where The Who were headliners. Being a fan of theirs since the 60s I stuck around to watch the set. Yeah, the vocals don't have the range these days... they are in their 60s ffs. And Pino and Zak are no JE and KM...Even so, they can still show a lot of the bands around now the way home.
BTW they totally screwed My Generation :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='738683' date='Feb 8 2010, 08:18 AM']where's the book Pete?[/quote]

haha

just watched it on youtube (well some of it..got bored halfway through!!)... looked like they were playing on a spaceship!! admittedly never a big fan anyway but have to say that IMHO the best thing about that clip was the cymbals!!

peace

c

[quote name='Huwberry' post='738810' date='Feb 8 2010, 12:30 PM']Seems like Pino and Zak can do really good impressions of John and Keith, respectively. Unfortunately, all Roger and Pete can manage is an impression of two tired, drunk old men. :)[/quote]

I don't see them as tired or drunk...where do you get that ?
The same attitude in the comments as with McCartney for instance : just some undefined criticism and vague references to age as the only solid reason. These "old" people certainly made my life more pleasant and still do.
Luckily they won't care less of what people think...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='738853' date='Feb 8 2010, 12:25 PM']I don't see them as tired or drunk...where do you get that ?
The same attitude in the comments as with McCartney for instance : just some undefined criticism and vague references to age as the only solid reason. These "old" people certainly made my life more pleasant and still do.
Luckily they won't care less of what people think...[/quote]

+ 1000

B

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='738887' date='Feb 8 2010, 01:07 PM']+ 1000

B[/quote]

+2000.

FWIW although I think Pino's a great player, I don't like him in the Who at all, far too safe a player. But then replacing the Ox is an impossible job IMO.

I don't think it was amazing, however, the Superbowl gig is a bit of a special case isn't it?

Not only is it a short set, but you're performing from the middle of a field to a stadium full of people. It's not what you'd call an ideal gigging venue is it?

[quote name='Buzz' post='738939' date='Feb 8 2010, 02:03 PM']I don't think it was amazing, however, the Superbowl gig is a bit of a special case isn't it?

Not only is it a short set, but you're performing from the middle of a field to a stadium full of people. It's not what you'd call an ideal gigging venue is it?[/quote]

That's a very fair point, it did seem very excessive but then again so does a lot of the superbowl.