Why become a member? ×

Bass for a bad back....

tom1946

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='738189' date='Feb 7 2010, 04:26 PM']If you can find a Fender Precision Lyte, they REALLY are marvelous.
Lightweight, thin neck, huge sound.

Also Danelectro Longhorns weigh nothing, are quite cheap and
have a good sound - worth looking for one of the new ones.

I suffer with a crap back too, by the way - happy hunting.[/quote]

+1

I came within a gnat's crotchet of trading mine to fund a bit of gas, but just couldn't let it go- wonderful instrument.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='738728' date='Feb 8 2010, 09:41 AM']The Status Streamline was made for your back problems - Only a shade over six pounds and such a massive & clear sound. Ergonomically perfect as well as still using a 34" scale. 32" with bendwell is available as well. Used ones come up around the £1000 mark.

[/quote]

I'd really love to try a Streamline in the band as it may be the answer to many of my problems too. My main issue is that I've had 4 Statii in the past and haven't really got on with them sonically; I play with a pick and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of that "bak" sound (without making them sound muddy and indistinct). Maybe a parametric would help. Loved the necks though (although the original Status shape causes me absolute agony when playing; no idea why). I've actually toyed with ordering a Streamline but don't want to risk it not working, and of course playing one out of context is no use really.

Can't give a big enough "+1" to the Status Streamline. I bought one for its compact / easy to transport / invulnerable to temperature & humidity attributes. But... It's fabulously light and well balanced.
Did I mention that it's a STONKING bass? Everyone who tried it at the last SE bash thought so too.

(Liking Tom's Avatar, I bought one (red) for the missus last year. She loves it! Didn't they get banned?!)

I briefly had a Dano 63 long scale in red and hated it, it was too light and if you like the deep sound of a usa jazz then it don't work for me.

Status looks awesome, not sure about the upper bout going that far along the neck, that's very close to where I play, agree they look awesome though.

I COULD saw some bit's off my Jazz, maybe even drill some holes but.........

I think the fender lyte looks promising, can you still get them new?

[quote name='tom1946' post='739675' date='Feb 9 2010, 08:47 AM']I briefly had a Dano 63 long scale in red and hated it, it was too light and if you like the deep sound of a usa jazz then it don't work for me.

Status looks awesome, not sure about the upper bout going that far along the neck, that's very close to where I play, agree they look awesome though.

I COULD saw some bit's off my Jazz, maybe even drill some holes but.........

I think the fender lyte looks promising, can you still get them new?[/quote]

No! --- they stopped making them a few years ago

I would seriously look at getting a custom builder put together a jazz bass made from light woods/parts. My '62 P Bass is 8lbs, and I had a '63 P bass that was even lighter. You can get hold of chambered bodies, lightweight tuners/parts etc and I reckon with the right mix you should get a jazz bass around the 7lb mark.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/J-Bass/ChamberedJbass.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/J-Bass/ChamberedJbass.aspx[/url]

Looking through the Warmouth site they even managed to get a J body to come in at 3lb 12oz without any chambering, and this would allow a bass to be built under 7.5lb:

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Bass=1&Body=2&Shape=6&Type=23&Path=Body%2cJBass&i=B1451"]http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseIt...ass&i=B1451[/url]

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='738189' date='Feb 7 2010, 04:26 PM']If you can find a Fender Precision Lyte, they REALLY are marvelous.
Lightweight, thin neck, huge sound.

Also Danelectro Longhorns weigh nothing, are quite cheap and
have a good sound - worth looking for one of the new ones.

I suffer with a crap back too, by the way - happy hunting.[/quote]
I'll second the Pricision Lyte option. I've had mine for years and you really notice the difference when you've been using anything else. Great tone, no shortage of bottom espacially since I had the Bass Doc fit EMGs, good neck and well balanced. I also use the stretchy padded straps that Overwater sell. Oh yeah and a DI box unless the singer wants to carry in you bass amp each time!

Hi Tom,
I'm a big Pedulla fan, my main gigging basses, a fretted and fretless Rapture, both 4 string, Jazz type pickups, ultra slim necks, lightwieght and small body, a joy to do a 2hr plus gig with. I also have to consider my back, especially as we can be gigging up to 6/7 times a month when its busy, and I have no more probs with these basses.
Also for some reason they don't seem to hold their value well, and you will probably be able to find one within your budget second hand, though you may have to be patient.
If you're ever down in Devon give me a shout, you're more than welcome to pop in and try mine!
That 54 re-issue P you sold me is pretty light too!
Good luck in your search

Thanks porkpie, I will if I ever down there. I agree the jap flower bass was great in terms of weight but Ann didn't fancy standing next to me or being associated with me using it. :rolleyes:

Pedulla's look amazing. So many toys, so little time!

Took my Gibson SG along to practice last night and can't get on with it at all. I thought short scale bass for a short scale bloke? much prefer Fenders. Plus although the gibbo is light and has huge bottom end grunt it's neck heavy and the strap button is in a silly place. Guess that'll be going next :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='738176' date='Feb 7 2010, 04:00 PM']Hi there

You could go for the option of strengthening your back with the aid of a physio, if that's appropriate for you to do.

Not the quick fix, but it could potentially open up your options

T[/quote]

best advice on here, IMV

Try and fix the problem rather than dally around with light this and that.

Of course, it depends how shot is shot, but unless your back is disintegrating then back exercises and a regime would be money better spent, I think.
I think you can be surprised how a few routines can help out in this regard. I've been through a few.

Sorry to hear about your back problem;I have suffered with a bit back since my early 20's(I'm 40 now)and I have found Pilates to help greatly.
I also found that lowering the body of the bass but lifting the angle of the neck to help.
As for a lightweight bass,I would definately recommend a Hohner B2A.I bitterly regret selling mine as it held it's tuning for weeks,
could be re-strung in 20 minutes,was light as a feather,and had a great sound.
Happy hunting.

[quote name='JTUK' post='741156' date='Feb 10 2010, 04:21 PM']best advice on here, IMV

Try and fix the problem rather than dally around with light this and that.

Of course, it depends how shot is shot, but unless your back is disintegrating then back exercises and a regime would be money better spent, I think.
I think you can be surprised how a few routines can help out in this regard. I've been through a few.[/quote]

A lighter bass is always a good idea in the long term. However some of us sadly don't have the option.

[quote name='tom1946' post='740594' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:48 AM']Thanks porkpie, I will if I ever down there. I agree the jap flower bass was great in terms of weight but Ann didn't fancy standing next to me or being associated with me using it. :rolleyes:

Pedulla's look amazing. So many toys, so little time!

Took my Gibson SG along to practice last night and can't get on with it at all. I thought short scale bass for a short scale bloke? much prefer Fenders. Plus although the gibbo is light and has huge bottom end grunt it's neck heavy and the strap button is in a silly place. Guess that'll be going next :)[/quote]

Just stick a strap button on the headstock, be dandy!! You just need to get used to the short scale, takes a couple o weeks and then you'll be flying! :lol:

[quote name='tom1946' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:48 AM' post='740594']
Thanks porkpie, I will if I ever down there. I agree the jap flower bass was great in terms of weight but Ann didn't fancy standing next to me or being associated with me using it. :)

(I've been asked to dep with my 16yr olds band tonight. I guess I can't be that uncool after all, but the flower bass is getting its debut, after all I'm now at an age when it's my job to be an embarressment to teenagers whenever possible. Ah sweet revenge!)

My chiropractor advised not just strengthening excersises, but to look at and address any possible causes of back probs aswell, so lighter gear has also had to be a consideration.