Why become a member? ×

Basses or bass playing or both

jakenewmanbass

I recently discovered that I'm not really that into basses in the way that some people here are. I don't think any less of someone for their particular interest but I just wondered what category the majority of folk here would occupy.
As I get older I am more just into the music....

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='731135' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:06 PM']I recently discovered that I'm not really that into basses in the way that some people here are. I don't think any less of someone for their particular interest but I just wondered what category the majority of folk here would occupy.

I tried to make this a poll but am failing... help[/quote]

Lol... I think I know where you're coming from.... I really like my basses.... Status... or Statii as I have a few.... they do what I need though I have a no name 5 string fretless that sounds great.... They work for me and let me concentrate on making music.... I don't get GAS for basses really....

[quote name='jakesbass' post='731135' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:06 PM']I recently discovered that I'm not really that into basses in the way that some people here are. I don't think any less of someone for their particular interest but I just wondered what category the majority of folk here would occupy.

I tried to make this a poll but am failing... help[/quote]

You've got an Alembic. Not much worth lusting after now. :)

Seriously, I think these days I'm probably becoming more interested in the instrument itself, as a piece of functional art. If I had somewhere to do it I'd probably try building, but we haven't even got a garage or a decent shed (and there is no way the missus would let me loose in the house!).

FWIW playing has always come second to writing for me.

Edited by 4000

The only reason I would buy a bass these days is because it can do something my current basses can't- I can't be doing with the constant buying and selling so many folk get up to. Now that I have my extended range needs/wants covered there would have to be something pretty special to tempt me again.

As bass players, we interact with objects that command attention (they're pretty big and they get people grooving) and are easy for us to fetishise (just say the words Alembic, Wal or Fodera and [i]someone[/i] in the room's going to start drooling), so I think it's easy to get sucked into GAS-world. I'm sure someone must have made the "basses are like women/men" (delete as appropriate for your sex/orientation) analogy before, but I'd say something like this:

There's always something a little different about the next bass that crosses our path, and many of us take the plunge again and again, establishing relationships with many, many instruments, maybe looking out for "the one", or just enjoying the ride with as many "partners" as possible. Maybe it's the way they look; maybe it's the way they feel; maybe it's the way they sound. But they're all different, and they all let us do our thing with them, even if only for a little while. :rolleyes:

For me, my search through the land of basses is in its early stages, but I've found a couple that I'd happily settle down with (in a polygamous household, obviously :) ). And when I enjoy a bass, I enjoy the music I can make with it [i]so much[/i] more. Long story short: I'm a bass-loving bass-player.

i'm a bit of a geek and definitely started out more towards the gear side. my first encounter with guitars in general was when my old man smashed up my brothers jackson when he got in some big trouble, years and years ago (i guess i was 12). i spent a long time learning how guitars worked (and floyd roses aswell! nightmare!) and managed to get hold of a replacement body and put the parts back together for him... so i definitely started out thinking about things from the other perspective.

i was playing for a few years before i realised how much the music really means to me. now i'm definitely more in the playing side of things, but i haven't lost my appreciation of a good instrument! :)

I think I sit in the "all my basses do different things" camp. What I mean is I have a passive 4, an active 4, a fretless 5, an acoustic a short scale semi acoustic 4 with flats and an EDB. I love owning them all but I wouldnt double up eg 2 Rics would be pointless for me. The only thing I think Im missing is an acoustic upright. That would make a full house in my opinion. Although weirdly I think I could be tempted by a double buck in the future :)

[quote name='Tech' post='731204' date='Jan 31 2010, 11:21 PM']i'm a bit of a geek and definitely started out more towards the gear side. my first encounter with guitars in general was when my old man smashed up my brothers jackson when he got in some big trouble, years and years ago (i guess i was 12). i spent a long time learning how guitars worked (and floyd roses aswell! nightmare!) and managed to get hold of a replacement body and put the parts back together for him... so i definitely started out thinking about things from the other perspective.

i was playing for a few years before i realised how much the music really means to me. now i'm definitely more in the playing side of things, but i haven't lost my appreciation of a good instrument! :)[/quote]
I never had anyone smash up an instrument of mine but I know where you're coming from. I used to do so many mods on my guitars and I think I had a fairly individual sound at one point. I don't mess with basses much though.

Funny thing though, my missus dug out a bunch of old tapes I did about twenty years ago and I was amazed at how good my guitar tone was, and how sympathetic my baby bass playing was. It's got me thinking.

I wish I could be happy with a couple of basses for life but I enjoy the "new" experience of a ne bass too much. It's led me to some mistakes though.

For me, GAS hasn't been about getting the newest toy, it's been about getting a small selection of basses that I feel help me achieve the sound and vibe that I want to make music. It takes some of us a little while to find an instrument or 5 that we click with :rolleyes:.
I have my main 'go-to' bass that is perfect, my '03 MIA Jazz, it's been in the number one position for about 4 years now. Acting as backups are a '73 Jazz, and a Parts/Shuker Jazz for when the venue might be a little rough for the '73.
For me it's important to have backups that are very similar in sound and feel to my main bass, what's the point of needing to swap basses for whatever reason, and having to completely mess with levels and EQ etc!?.
I have a nice Precision, gotta have one of those, and a 5 string version of my main bass, an MIA 5 standard.
They cater for my every need, sound and play perfectly and aren't fussy to the point of distraction.

I'm a proper gear head, but usually for other people's purchases, when it comes to my gear, I just want the tools to help me get out the music that's in my head. And I'm pretty much there :).

Si

PS
The Classic Vibe is for sale :lol:

I don’t think I’m too bad when it comes to buying and selling basses. I like to try things out from time to time to see if I get on with them, but I won’t say I’ll never buy another bass.

It’s a bit like saying; ‘Cheddar is my cheese of choice. I no longer need to try any other cheeses because Cheddar covers all my cheese needs.’ But how do you know if you like Stilton if you’ve never had it? You’re missing out on a taste revelation.

So although I’m very happy with my current bass selection, and I’m pretty sure that a Jazz style bass is the bass for me, it would be a bit short sighted of me to leave it at that. I’ve never tried a Status for instance or a Wal, maybe one of those will be the greatest bass I’ve ever played.

I think the answer will more often than not vary depending on whether you are a pro, semi-pro or - like me - a dabbler/hobbyist. The latter camp it seems to me are more likely to view basses as beautiful objects and forever keep spotting ones that are even more beautiful than what they already own ... hence GAS. If I was a pro I am sure I would more likely have a small arsenal of carefully picked instruments that cover the sounds and situations I might need to earn a living - and trading instruments frequently would probably be not appropriate to this. Just my two penn'orth.

I wanted one really good bass and I now have it. Probably end of bass GAS.

I play quite a few instruments but I only really GAS for 6 string guitars. Everything else I have one 'really good un' now, infact I have the perfect bass, acoustic guitar, chapman stick, electronic drumkit and electric guitar so GAS should be a thing of the past (yeah, right!). The one thing I could improve on would be a better keyboard, but to be honest the ones I have are OK for my purposes and I don't really drool over keyboards.

[quote name='Clarky' post='731357' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:54 AM']I think the answer will more often than not vary depending on whether you are a pro, semi-pro or - like me - a dabbler/hobbyist. The latter camp it seems to me are more likely to view basses as beautiful objects and forever keep spotting ones that are even more beautiful than what they already own ... hence GAS. If I was a pro I am sure I would more likely have a small arsenal of carefully picked instruments that cover the sounds and situations I might need to earn a living - and trading instruments frequently would probably be not appropriate to this. Just my two penn'orth.[/quote]
I think you're spot on Clarky, what surprises me a bit is just how much chat there is about gear here, again I don't have a problem with it, I just find it interesting.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='731366' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:06 AM']I always feel a bit uncomfortable about owning lots of stuff so I've got one bass, one amp, one cab and one sound and that does it all for me. I still get GAS but I can usually reason it away and be happy with what I've got.[/quote]
I am exactly the same. There is gear that I would dearly love to have but because playing bass is a hobby and hence not essential, I'll only buy what I can get by with (there's also the fact there are 3 young 'men' in our house who consume vast quantities of our money).
I have one bass, a practice amp and a multi-fx pedal. The pedal is an indulgence. Until something changes I won't be getting anything else.

Its got to be the music. Without that, the basses are just planks of wood with wires attached. I have long thought that some people are so into the gear and messing about with it that they forget to get good at playing it. I acknowledge it is important to invest time and effort in ensuring that your gear is of appropriate professional quality but, after that, its hair splittin' :). One of my twitches comes when people say things like 'I like the sound of a Jazz ovber a Precision'. I have no idea what the difference is. Or a graphite nut over a wooden one. Or pick-up configurations. Or woods. I pick up a bass and see if it sounds subjectively 'good' and play on. If it doesn't, I look for another one. But I have only played around 10 basses in my life and all but two were perfectly satisfactory.

I guess that's why noone has heard of me :rolleyes::lol:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='731468' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:09 AM']I'm laughing to myself because my poll questions were so ill thought out that I can't for the life of me extrapolate out a single conclusion :)[/quote]

I was just thinking that myself...
I just put it down to a spot of Monday morning glue sniffing! :rolleyes:

Playing for me - then again that might be the glue kicking in.

Garry

Bilbo, it's almost like you're suggesting that a person who enjoys 'gear', generally won't be a good player!?
I can imagine you on a session:
"I bought my Wal and my Jazz bass"....."oh have you got a Precision, the producer wants a precision?"....."naa I'll just use the Jazz, it's the same"....."PINO??"
lol, I jest of course.

I do agree with Clarky though, it's about the place that bass takes in our lives, there's nothing wrong with investing time and money into something that makes us happy.
Whenever I see pictures of Paul Turner he has a different bass, he generally only plays in one band, or certainly one type of music for his living......so he shouldn't technically need more than one or two basses.....but clearly he enjoys 'gear'

Si