Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

Check the intro to The Other Side from Aerosmith's A Little South of Sanity - it's live and Joe Perry completely cocks up his intro rhythm guitar part.

Drums keep playing so he can back in time again :)

Quite impressed they left it on the album :rolleyes:

If you listen right through to the end you can hear Steve Tyler give an 'interesting' intro to the next song. . .

On an associated note - I got asked to audition for a band this week & they send me a, studio recorded, CD of a lot of their material. I haven't listened to it all yet but I've already spotted a couple of nasty timing errors where they slow down a fair bit & you can hear some people trying to push them back up to speed. I can totally see how this might happen but surprised they didn't spot it & either re-record or 'fix' it when mixing.

It's their promo CD to get gigs so I'd have thought it quite important to get this sort of stuff right?

How about some of Stevie's drumming from the classic trio of albums - Talking Book, Inner Visions & Songs in the Key of Life era when he played on a lot of drums on his albums.

Some of the playing is just a bit 'rudimentary' compared to the quality of everything else going on & some if it sounds a bit 'wrong' in places (although in other parts it just works perfectly).

The way the drums kinda fall into the chorus on I Believe When I Fall in Love always sound out of time to me - funnily enough I've just YouTubed this and it sounded much better than my LP version. I wonder if it was adjusted at all when transferred to CD?

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='732905' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:32 PM']Duck Dunn on Soul Man - carries on playing the verse riff at the start of the first chorus. 00:34. Love it!

Andrew

[post="0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucp3FJZP2p8[/post][/quote]

I must have listened to that song a thousand times and never noticed that!

[quote name='Tait' post='729357' date='Jan 30 2010, 12:37 AM']jazz. just in general. sounds like one big mistake to me.[/quote]

You an' me are gonna have a falling out :)

Steve Howe - his entire career is defined by him uncanny ability to fluff every note and yet still make it work. 'Hey, Steve!! Spend more time practising and less time shopping for new guitars!!!!'

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='733198' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:24 PM']But most people are more interested in if a band is fun to listen to rather than if they're perfect or not. Aren't they?[/quote]

I think the fact that certain bands have achieved fame despite their musical shortcomings proves your theory. I also think music is more than just the sum of its parts, it's about creativity, originality, entertainment and fun.

cheers

Al.

[quote name='Al.B' post='732809' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:27 PM']Finally at last someone who dares speak the truth about that bloody awful solo at the end of Layla.[/quote]

I'm so with you there, it's an absolute bloody travesty and it doesn't even go with the song, and I hate that while radio stations will arbitarily edit other great solos, they continue to let this one wail on and on. Absolute tripe, and I'm a Derek & the Dominoes fan!

For a complete timing wobble, AWB always come in early from the long turnaround note on Pick Up The Pieces. According to their own notated music avaiable from their website it's a 6 count, but they seem to manage 5 1/2 and then 5 3/4. Still a great song though.

[quote name='ezbass' post='733451' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:40 PM']I'm so with you there, it's an absolute bloody travesty and it doesn't even go with the song, and I hate that while radio stations will arbitarily edit other great solos, they continue to let this one wail on and on. Absolute tripe, and I'm a Derek & the Dominoes fan![/quote]

I bet you wish you'd written it though!

Thanks to all who have contibuted. Just for closure I will offer a couple

Deeper underground - Ringing open bass string at 1:03 and same open ringing bass string from same lick at 2:00

Amy Winehouse - You know I'm no good - poss drum looop being 1 or 2 bpm faster than the rest of the loops used at 0:16

Again, to stress, this is just an excercise. It does not make the songs any less valid. I still listen to them and enjoy them.

The reality is that I would love to have stuff out that is so commercially mainstream that people can spot my mistakes :)

My drummer who studied recording always cites Queen for this kinda thing, particularly Bohemian Rhapsody with out of tune guitars.

Also Dreamtheater seemed to overlooked including the bass guitar on some of their latest releases :)

Edited by El Bajo

[quote name='El Bajo' post='740762' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:57 AM']Also Dreamtheater seemed to overlooked including the bass guitar on some of their latest releases :)[/quote]
That's just ripping off Metallica, circa 1988!

Has anyone mentioned the horribly & repeatedly flubbed keyboard solo line in the Stranglers' [i]Sweden (All Quiet On The Eastern Front)[/i]?

Jon.[i][/i]

[quote name='owen' post='740733' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:39 AM']....Again, to stress, this is just an excercise. It does not make the songs any less valid. I still listen to them and enjoy them.
The reality is that I would love to have stuff out that is so commercially mainstream that people can spot my mistakes....[/quote]
Me too!
The question that usually got asked in the control room was, "Is the feel good?" If everyone liked the feel then the mistakes used to get left in. Andrew Love from the Memphis Horns said that if the song felt good then they wouldn't change it, but he would have rerecord a lot of his Stax brass lines at the time.

Edited by chris_b

surprised no one has mentioned the stereo version of Please Please Me on the last verse Paul, I think, starts singing the wrong lyrics.
Crazy Elephants Gimme Gimme good loving must have the worst played guitar solo ever
Is it me or are the single bass notes out of time on the intro to Another Girl Another Plant by the Only Ones

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='740957' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:29 PM']Is it me or are the single bass notes out of time on the intro to Another Girl Another Plant by the Only Ones[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Certainly doesn't feel right when you are playing along with it.

Bedouin Soundclash - when the night feels my song.

Fantastic song and band, but awfully out of tune harmonies at the end...it's cringe worthy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsBPH8O7q8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsBPH8O7q8[/url] at 2:57ish

Edited by Duarte