Why become a member? ×

Sterling Ball does it again...

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='TheRev' post='712795' date='Jan 14 2010, 05:30 PM']There's something about Ivory/white basses with tortie guards that gives me a happy.

Ohh, you filthy bitch, you want it, don't you....[/quote]
MAAAAASSIVE +1 :)

As for the new design on these SR5s... I mean. Wow. Definitely in agreement with the above comments - looks so much like a proper Stingray now. I MUST HAVE ONE.

i see the sr5 as a different bass altogether to the normal stingray, and so i love the body shape and design. This of course just looks like a 4 string with an extra string. If it sounds like a stingray 4, thats great. If it sounds like an sr5, its a step backwards imo :)

I'm the opposite Kev. :) The original 4 string design is spot on, and clearly lends itself to the 5 string format, so why not simply have a 5 string version as Fender have done with the Jazz and (eventually) the Precision? In fact I'd like to see a 5 string version of the Jaguar as well. I don't dislike the SR5. They sound great, are well made and look good (and I've had a few over the years), but I prefer the orignal design of the 4 - my main gripe with the SR5 being the expanse of pick guard.

sweet jesus!!!

Finally bringing back the gloss neck :) :rolleyes:

They look amazing, specially the white / tort with maple neck. Not completely sold on them using the SR4 scratchplate, i see a lot of you guys love it but there is always 1 aint there!!

Damn i gotta make sure i DONT play or see one of these 5'ers. Or i may get seriously in debt and with mine and my girly's first baby on the way, now is not the right time!!!

[quote name='Kev' post='713354' date='Jan 15 2010, 07:50 AM']i see the sr5 as a different bass altogether to the normal stingray, and so i love the body shape and design. This of course just looks like a 4 string with an extra string. If it sounds like a stingray 4, thats great. If it sounds like an sr5, its a step backwards imo :)[/quote]

[quote name='JD1' post='713455' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:05 AM']I'm the opposite Kev. :rolleyes: The original 4 string design is spot on, and clearly lends itself to the 5 string format, so why not simply have a 5 string version as Fender have done with the Jazz and (eventually) the Precision? In fact I'd like to see a 5 string version of the Jaguar as well. I don't dislike the SR5. They sound great, are well made and look good (and I've had a few over the years), but I prefer the orignal design of the 4 - my main gripe with the SR5 being the expanse of pick guard.[/quote]

Aren't you guys saying the same thing?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='711967' date='Jan 13 2010, 09:53 PM'][/quote]
That is UTTERLY gorgeous. In the massively unlikely event that I finally dipped my toe into Stingray-infested waters, that would be the one for me.
Still not keen on the Bongo, and the least said about the Big Al the better. And I still reckon they are all overpriced.

[i] "I am Spartacus" [/i]

As opposed to;

OLP MM3
SUB 5
Sterling by MM 'Ray 5
Sterling by MM Sterling 5
MM Sterling 5
MM Classic Series 'Ray 5
MM Classic Series Sterling 5
Oh, plus any Anniversary editions and "Ball Family Reserve" lines...

Didn't post this on the EBMM forum for fear they'd issue a Fatwa.

(Cool Name for a wah pedal, though.... FatWah)

Edit. In my "excitement", I neglected to mention all the "H", "H/H" and "H/S" variants. Making at least another God knows how many alternatives.
Normally, I'm all for choice, but this is getting a bit silly.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='713736' date='Jan 15 2010, 01:44 PM'][i] "I am Spartacus" [/i]

MM Classic Series 'Ray 5

Edit. In my "excitement", I neglected to mention all the "H", "H/H" and "H/S" variants. Making at least another God knows how many alternatives.
Normally, I'm all for choice, but this is getting a bit silly.[/quote]

So, I can get a classic series 'Ray 5 with HH pups? Is this right? Even I'm interested :)

I've been really impressed with the MM instruments I've seen lately albeit they were both guitars.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='715067' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:18 PM']Yes indeedy & we all know that the preamp in the 2-band has more punch and "scoopedness" than the three. It'll be a five for me this year, unless something else comes up.[/quote]

I might just save my 5 string quest for this tbh...

They're slab bodies with no sculpting and contours. I've had a couple of slab-bodied basses and they are not compatible with my body shape over a two hour set. :)

Anyway, it's a good there are plenty of curvy instruments to spend my inheritance on! :brow: