Why become a member? ×

Just why is blues so important when learning bass?

iconic

Why is Blues so important when learning bass, it must be me but it always reminds me of Croyde Bay Devon Holiday Camp, Butlins, Caravan Parks from when I was 7 years old, with bored looking bass players playing.....ba-bump-ba-bump-da-dump-da-dump sort of tunes with another guy on a Hammond Organ and a drummer.

Seriously, almost every learning medium I have come across declares that blues is the mother of all modern funk/disco/rock, everything bar classical, but I can't hear the blues riffs in most of the funk and disco songs that I know and love.

educate me please.

Edited by iconic

cause it rocks!! seriously though without getting into theory too much the standard blues progression is used in lots of styles from jazz to metal. learn some blues scales and you'll come across the blue notes, usually flat 3rd or 5th's. theres plenty of great blues artists around at the moment worth looking into. check out jim kirkpatrick.one of the best in the uk at the mo.
[url="http://www.myspace.com/jimikirkpatrick"]http://www.myspace.com/jimikirkpatrick[/url]

I've spent the last four years learning to play bass, completely from scratch (i.e. never having picked one up before Xmas 2005).

Blues was the perfect place to start because it CAN be simple, repetitive and slow (and it CAN be a lot of other things, too) which makes it a type of music that's very beginner-friendly.

As I moved out into rock & pop, funk & prog, I was surprised to find the same blues licks turning up [u][b]everywhere [/b][/u]... just played a bit differently.

Playing blues doesn't mean you can suddenly play any other [i]genre[/i], but it does allow you to fake it while you learn to do it properly.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='704550' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:21 PM']As I moved out into rock & pop, funk & prog, I was surprised to find the same blues licks turning up [u][b]everywhere [/b][/u]... just played a bit differently.[/quote]

I think this is why it's recommended to learn the blues - I found the above statement to be very true too, even in folk and modern traditional music.

The blues always gives you a good basis to fall back on when playing or writing - and blues bass guitar also helps develop the basic rhythmic element of our instrument.

[quote name='iconic' post='704510' date='Jan 7 2010, 05:53 PM']Seriously, almost every learning medium I have come across declares that blues is the mother of all modern funk/disco/rock, everything bar classical, but I can't hear the blues riffs in most of the funk and disco songs that I know and love.

educate me please.[/quote]

Try these two...

Not particularly funky, but the reason I went fretless...

Pete

Blues bass can get slated a bit by musos as easy and boring, until you hear someone like Tommy Shannon or Roscoe Beck doing it. It is without doubt a great place to start as the lick library comes up so often in other genres of music.

I spent 3 years in a blues band here on guitar and then swapped with the bassplayer as he fancied playing guitar again after 20 years. At first, I thought I'd made a mistake but then realised it could be as exciting as I wanted it to be. It seemed to lift the band a bit too as I was obviously playing differently to the previous bassplayer. Not necessarily better, just different. It encouraged one or two of them to play different stuff too. Especially the keyboard player.

It doesn't have to be just "donk da donk da donk da donk"

[quote name='JTUK' post='704667' date='Jan 7 2010, 07:47 PM']So gtrs will play with you...or rather you can hold them up while they piddle over everything..

You can then bin it and do something more interesting[/quote]
Sadly I think you might be right judging from some of the awful blues-rock outfits I've seen/heard over the years. Fortunately that's not the whole picture. Check out the rootsier contemporary blues outfits for better grooves, and better balance between the instruments, or head back and listen to the masters. I suspect that most of the blues I listen to on my iPod is piano/horn-led rather than guitar, f'rinstance. And not a 'donk-da-donk' anywhere to be heard.

I think one of the best reasons for starting with blues is having a framework to quickly play with other musicians

I did a quick look on youtube for some examples, I wanted one of the young Hubert Sumlin playing proto-funk with Howling Wolf back in the '50s, but can't find one. How about this one instead, kinda funky with electric bass riffing, cliched intro, but stick with it...

...and this, not exactly funky, but pure blues bass: some root and fifth, some walking, some riffing, all depending on what else is going on...

One take on this is that the blues scale isn't really found in classical music but, together with blues chord progressions, forms the bedrock of virtually all 20th century (popular) musical forms. Learning the blues is therefore a sensible place to get to grips with the blues scale (where else do you start?).

(I'd be interested if anyone knows a pre 20th century classical piece which includes something like a blues scale - there's a Mozart piece with bluesy minor 3rd I can immediately think of, but I've never spotted anything else.)

As far as dull blues basslines go, it depends on the bass player. Getting together interesting basslines for blues numbers, whilst also keeping it tasteful, is more difficult than it might naively appear!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='704975' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:21 PM']Along with what;s already been said, it's strongly tied to groove, feel and dynamics, too.[/quote]

Indeed.

Please don't think I'm being rude, but the Camel, any particular reason or just fancied a change.

Deep apologies for going way off topic.

[quote name='Marvin' post='704977' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:23 PM']Please don't think I'm being rude, but the Camel, any particular reason or just fancied a change.[/quote]
Y'know, I'm not entirely sure....

I think he likes you, though.

Edited by wateroftyne

Blues (and the precursor, Ragtime) are the foundations upon which all of our popular music is built. The basic chord useage of I-IV-V and the use of the pentatonic scale/minor blues scale are the building blocks for practically all popular music.

As an accomplished classical player in my late teens/early twenties I learned to improvise at blues jams. I learned a lot of valuable life skills through "The Blues." :)

[quote name='iconic' post='705104' date='Jan 8 2010, 08:33 AM']I wondered what the woman from the Tom and Jerry cartoons did during the week :rolleyes: ? I agree that is fantastic :)[/quote]
Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog was written for her by Leiber & Stoller, who were scared stiff of her! Lyrically it's clearly a woman's song. There is a male response: 'Bear Cat', by Rufus Thomas (Walking the Dog).