Why become a member? ×

What impresses you more? Fingering or Picking

Basska

There are some phenomenally good plectrum players who do considerably more than chug away at root notes. Other than the ones already mentioned, listen to Dennis Dunaway, Chris Squire, Tony Butler, Dave Pegg, Russell Webb, Peter Hook, Steven Severin, Peter Steele, Jason Newsted - and these are just some of my personal favourite players - there are many, many more in various genres.

In the 30 - odd years I've been playing, I pretty much exclusively used a pick until 5 or 6 years ago when I simply decided it was time to polish up my barely-used fingerstyle. These days I seldom use a pick but really that's bloody-mindedness on my part - I'm forcing myself to play outside of my comfort zone even when using a pick would be more appropriate.

And having developed pretty decent speed, accuracy & facility with my fingerstyle I can honestly say that for the most part they're interchangeable, certainly within the context of my music (fairly busy prog rock) - in fact there's more stuff that works better with a pick.

And the original question - what impresses me more - well, neither. They're just techniques and it's good to be well-versed in both, IMO.

I would grudgingly admit that flashy slap stuff does impress me a bit - I'm rubbish at it, despite being well into it for a few years in the mid-80s - and I do like to see it done well. But let's face it, it's a bit cheesy & vulgar, no? :)

Jon.

I find myself more impressed with decent fingerstyle, but I do like the tone of bass played with a pick and I know that playing well with one is by no means easy. Slap leaves me cold, invariably.

I'm biased though, as all my favourite players happened to play with their fingers.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='679762' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:00 AM']but bass played with a pick has to be doing something amazing before i'm interested.[/quote]

Check out Scott Thunes then. '63 Precision, Boss chorus pedal, pick. Zappa. Amazing.

I use what's appropriate, which is fingers 95% of the time. Damped pick tone is almost impossible with fingers though.

Edited by silddx

Dextrous, musical picking impresses me. Speedy sweepy nonsense does not, however.

[quote name='silddx' post='680207' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:19 PM']I use what's appropriate, which is fingers 95% of the time.[/quote]
Ditto. I'll use whatever works best for the song... fingers, thumb, pick, gerbil, whatever.

I remember doing a studio sesh once, and the producer asked me if I'd mind using a pick as the tone might work better. The way he asked it was almost apologetic, as if he thought I might find the suggestion offensive. He seemed quite amazed when I told him I was happy to do so and whipped out my Dunlop (ooer missus). Do we as bassists have a reputation of generally hating picks or something?

[quote name='Rich' post='680244' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:49 PM']Do we as bassists have a reputation of generally hating picks or something?[/quote]

Probably. But I think the important thing to remember is the music. The sounds we make and their relationship with the other notes/sounds being played at a given moment in the music is what should define the ways we execute our ideas. One of the main problems with bass, guitars and drums is that we can all be distracted by the ACT of playing rather than its PURPOSE. We are impressed by the PROCESS rather than the OUTCOME. I haven't used a pick since I developed the facility to do without but my favourite electric player, Steve Swallow, uses on all of the time. The producer who asked Rich to play with a pick was doing his job; producing i.e. what will make the music better rather than what makes the bass player feel more comfortable.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='680100' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:59 AM']use whatever you need and what sounds good. Anybody who says the one is "better" than the other in that respect is just being a snob and can kiss my ring :)[/quote]

Oh, Yes indeedy. The ability to use both 'techniques' - or to accept the possibility that one might need to employ alternatives - is a clear sign of professionalism and an open mind. Furiously denigrating one or the other is a giveaway 'tell'.

Kinda like ... "I'm an F1 driver, me. My car's got [i]four[/i] wheels, you know..." :rolleyes:

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='680259' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:03 PM']Damp the strings with the side of your palm and pick with the side of your thumb. Works for me :rolleyes:[/quote]
I'm aware of the technique, but how fast can you do it? I can't do HDSQs with that technique, but I can with a pick, not that I do HDSQs very often of course :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='680263' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:05 PM']Kinda like ... "I'm an F1 driver, me. My car's got [i]four[/i] wheels, you know..." :)[/quote]

Now if it had 5 wheels it would be some much more impressive :rolleyes:

OT I think that some of the hositility to pick playing is some bassists will do anything not to look like second rate guitarists

Been a fingerstyle player from the start, despite graduating on to bass from gui*ar.

Last year after an injury I had to use a pick for some songs, and could n't believe how hard it is, and what a difference it makes to the sound.

My fave players have always been fingerstyle, but there was a guy in Hull who I used to go and see in my teens who had the best sound - using a P-bass, Top 50 valve amp and a 4x12 cab,and it sounded immense!

Horses for courses sez I.

Edited by casapete

[quote name='silddx' post='680271' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:18 PM']I'm aware of the technique, but how fast can you do it? I can't do HDSQs with that technique, but I can with a pick, not that I do HDSQs very often of course :)[/quote]

I can play pretty fast using the palm mute,especially when adding two fingers(almost classical style) or
using an up/down thumb motion.

What do you mean by 'HDSQ's'? I'm crap with acronyms-only just sussed what 'LOL' means.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='680273' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:19 PM']Now if it had 5 wheels it would be some much more impressive :)[/quote]
Remember the ones that had [i]six[/i] wheels? Obviously for a better class of driver :rolleyes:

[quote name='Doddy' post='680283' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:27 PM']What do you mean by 'HDSQ's'? I'm crap with acronyms-only just sussed what 'LOL' means.[/quote]
His Duck Said Quack

Edited by skankdelvar

For me it is all about the way a bassline is played - how it fits into the song as a whole - getting the right rhythm, how the runs and fills work without sounding busy or interfering with anything else. That's what impresses me - the ultra-clever technical stuff, be it with with pick/fingers/slap/tap/rusty nail or chopstick, turns me off totally. I have to say that I don't really get the point of using the bass as a solo instrument, either.

A good pick player who doesn't just chug the notes but often gets forgotten is Deep Purple's Roger Glover - I reckon he is a star. Another one who got a mention recently on a thread is T Bone Wolk, who plays(ed?) with Hall and Oates.

All my opinion, of course.

[quote name='silddx' post='680207' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:19 PM']Check out Scott Thunes then. '63 Precision, Boss chorus pedal, pick. Zappa. Amazing.

I use what's appropriate, which is fingers 95% of the time. Damped pick tone is almost impossible with fingers though.[/quote]

I think you posted a vid of you playing one of his lines recently? Top drawer stuff.

The bassist from NoMeansNo uses a pick to great effect, while I'm at it. And I do love the driving bass that Fat Mike lays down in NOFX with a pick - couldnt do that tempo for long with fingers.

See I don't use a pick, I can play the basics with one but don't like the tone so have never practiced pick techneque further.
One thing I dont get is how everyone says it is faster, i don't doubt it is but physically you have to be going up and down quite fast to go quicker than my 3 fingers. Maybe it's as I am left handed but play bass right handed socmy picking hand isnt as good?

I started playing bass in the early ‘80’s using a pick and did OK with it, but then switched to fingerstyle and never bothered with pick playing after that.

Having tried both, I’d say fingerstyle is more versatile for different musical genres, but of course there are songs that definitely sound better played with a pick, so the ideal situation would be to keep your hand in with both techniques.

But I’m a “part-time bassist”, so I don’t have the time to put in enough practice to keep on top of both techniques – I wish I did! - I'm also a left-hander playing right-handed, so my right-hand needs all the help it can get just to keep up to speed. So, I use the time I have to work at being good at just one technique, instead of being poor or mediocre at both.

I almost always play with fingers. I can play with a pick if I need to - which would usually either be when I'm looking for a particular tone or when I have a serious blister situation. I don't slap.

I don't listen to other bassists because they use or fingers or pick but because I like how they sound musically. I don't listen to slap.

I can play with fingers but my punk band's bass lines are often staccato and/or very fast. I simply am not consistent enough with fingers to do this without a pick. Thus I play in a band situation with pick 100%. At home I play fingerstyle more often as it feels more "organic".

I echo what most have said - its whatever works for you and suits the music

Edited by Clarky

I have always used fingers, just never really got on with a pick. When I used to play loads of gigs in clubland, I always used to have a pick handy though because after the 3rd straight night gigging my fingers used to hurt because I played so hard, I really used to whack the strings. Steadied down a bit now though and play a bit softer. :)