Why become a member? ×

What To Buy For £500?

faceman

I'm in a rather nice situation at the moment where I'm going to have the ability to spend £500 on something...it's a long story but anyway, I'm not too sure what to go for. There is nothing outside of bass-ing where I'd like something so I've narrowed it down to a new head or a new bass. I played a friends Mark Bass Little Mark III yesterday and it was amazing. It sounded just as good, not as 'dark' as my Ashdown ABM-EVOII for about a quarter of the weight. I know they come in at a little over £500...

The alternative is to get another bass. My current setup of a Rickenbacker 3001 and 4003 does me rather well for the moment. The 3001 is my main player, with a huge sound and the 4003 gets a fair bit, although I've got a problem with the saddles rattling (is this common?), so I'm thinking where would another bass fit into the line.

The thoughts I've had so far are - Danelectro Longhorn Reissue, something small and light, plus they sound amazing, a second hand Lakland Decade, as I've heard good things but not sure if I will find one before Christmas. Finally, I'm toying of the idea of a more 'modern' bass - like a second hand StingRay or something with active electronics and soap bars? I've seen Pete Academy's Roscoe SKB5 and it sounded rather nice. it would be a totally different sound too, although I'm not sure how well it would fit in with the music stuff i'm doing at the moment.

So basically guys, any thoughts on what I've said? Or any completely new suggestions? I could get my car serviced but that seems something very boring. I'll wait for my next student loan to come in for that :)

Thanks as ever!

you sound like you need the amp more than the bass, so go for the markbass (though if it was me, i'd much rather have an ABM over a markbass), and get your ricky set up.
If i was in your situation personally, i'd probably go nuts and get both the basses set up, buy new strings, get some decent cabling if you dont already and get some nice effects

Go for the Mark Bass. I use a LMII and think they are great - and a lot of people oh here would agree. If you are using a 4ohm cab then the Little Mark II rules. I don't think it quite cuts it with an 8ohm cab (which is a shame cuz thats all ive got!). LMIII would be nice if you could get one for the money, but a used LMII would come in at a lot cheaper, plus you would have some moneys left over for a nice carry case (i use a gigskinz small mixer case), and maybe either a setup for you rattley rick or maybe a nice speaker lead (if you havent already got a nice one) to go with your lovely new head :) snorted.

Thanks all so much for the reply, it has provided a lovely distraction to this paper I'm supposed to be writing on my dissertation :) That amp looks bloody amazing, although I doubt it is improving much on my Ashdown in terms of size, weight and sound! I've seen the Little Mark II on here for £400 - is there much difference between the II and III? I wouldn't mind getting one brand new, for warranty and things like that.

Yes this was my thought - would another bass give me something I don't already have? I think between the two, I can get pretty much any sound I could for see myself needing...but the thought of owning a Classic 50s Precision always makes me happy. I think I'd probably never buy a bass new again, as the value for money is just terrible.

I do like the idea of lessons, I've spoken to people who say they are Grade 8 Bass Players and am wondering what extra skills does one gain from this? Since I started playing in 2006, I think I've moulded into a semi-decent player, I can groove well and have been able to play anything anyone has thrown at me - apart from You Can Call me Al. The verse section always confuses me, never mind the backwards-slap solo.

(Baker Street has just come onto my iTunes, what a fantastic piece of music..)