Why become a member? ×

Biggest Fattest Chunkiest widest Neck out there?

AttitudeCastle

Hey Guys

my bass neck playing history has gone

Squire 2007 P-bass neck
Yamaha Attitude LTD II 25th anniversary (i sure its always been the same the Attitude neck but i'm not sure)
and i recently played a MINT 68' Tele bass neck which was nice

but from the transition from the Squire P (which many bassists i know have said the neck has been a little on the large side???)
to Attitude i've loved the hand filling neck but as i'm still growing (i think!) and my hand has grown (or been stretched?) and i'm used to the huge neck which i find very comfortable but now i'm looking for something bigger

and i love really wide nut area basses with fat thick necks so what is there out there?

i used to love borrowing my mates 5 string bass which was modified with a four string bridge (which is why he got it, it was cheap but i loved the width) but it was a little to wide as the strings were so far away =S

anyway so what is out there?

Adam,

Note:

I'm mainly talking about 4 strings but i am buying a 6 soon (RBX JM2) and so am open to 6 string stuff to!)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='rapscallion' post='654670' date='Nov 14 2009, 05:30 PM']I'd love to know if anyone on here's ever played a Wishbass.

or bought one... :)[/quote]

I have one. I oil finished it. Too tone deaf for fretless though.

Edit: old-ass pic including it:

Edited by Mr. Foxen

i doubt you'll find a wider neck than the Yamaha Attitude! although i remember an G&L L2000 bass i had was horrifically huge in the neck! - wide and deep it really was ungainly! pity as that bass sounded great but really had to go because of the neck.

peace

c

Another +1 for the Attitude. The neck on mine is quite large for a 4 string.
That said, My Warwick Infinity seems (without measuring) to be narrower but deeper. Perhaps it's rendered more awkward by the small body/short horn 26fret neck issue that throws the headstock almost out of reach because of the way it hangs.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='655248' date='Nov 15 2009, 04:14 PM']i once played a 5 string squier precision, it was like playing a cricket bat, honestly.[/quote]

They're hellish - You could easily get another string on there for the width of the neck.

There you go Squier - Fender have finally caught up with the rest of the world so why not make it the first Squier 6 string?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='655014' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:53 AM']The Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision & the Fender '51/Sting all have a tree trunk of a neck that's surprisingly comfortable to play. Also, the new MIM Classic Series 50's Precision (the ones with the small/tall tuners & gold anodised guard) has a lovely thick neck profile.[/quote]

Beaten me to it, although it's worth pointing out that the standard 57RI is shallower than the 51 which feels like a Louisville Slugger by comparison. It put me off initially but since I have been playing an upright the 51ri feels like heaven