Why become a member? ×

Spoombung 'prepared' bass piece

Spoombung

I found an old recording of myself from years ago (1996) playing the 'Spoombung' - a solo (prepared) bass piece - so I've uploaded it on to Youtube.

The inspiration for the piece came out of my interest in free improvisation and Cameroonian music. The main ingredient is a pounding beat at a fixed tempo, lots of overtones and harmonic complexity and triplets and flams to produce the rhythm. Tonal variation is provided by an 'assistant'. His job is to move the clips and other paraphernalia around. There is much rattling. If I think about it retrospectively, it's more like an art piece - you know: a performance.

'Preparing' instruments is nothing new, as any student of John Cage will tell you. Guitarists like Fred Frith and Keith Rowe from AMM have been using it for years. But curiously, [i]not bass guitarists[/i] - and I haven't really seen another example after all these years. I thought there might be a gap in the market! My own opinion is that bassists do not tend to like 'experimenting' because they're usually in a supporting role.

I abandoned it years ago because I felt I couldn't really move the technique onwards or create much variation from the original blueprint. Unfortunately I never got to play it at big venues (only in front of small gatherings of people in free-impro clubs in London). I did have a go at it at the weekend, however, and it all came back after about 15 minutes.

Anyway I wondered what Basschatters might think of it...

[quote name='Sibob' post='643271' date='Nov 2 2009, 11:43 AM']I liked it!
Don't think I could more than 8mins of it lol, but nice to hear someone doing something a little bit different with solo bass rather than just slapslapslapslapslapslaptapslapslapslap etc :)

Si[/quote]

It gets good about 5 minutes in!

[quote name='skelf' post='643272' date='Nov 2 2009, 11:48 AM']My favourite track of Kev's is Return of the Bung which I think is genius and suggest you hunt it out well worth the effort.[/quote]

Thanks Alan. I probably shouldn't say this...but my own personal favourites don't usually feature the bass too much!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I had a quick look on Youtube to see if there was any Cameroon music ( the inspiration for the Spoombung - that and Steve Reich) and there are bit and pieces thus:

Perhaps you can hear a slight resemblance? This was the album:

[i]Spoombung[/i] is an onomatopoeic word derived from the sound of the rhythm (as you've probably gathered)

hats off to you kev - that's a lovely piece of music.

i've been working on some less "orthodox" bass playing recently using percussive sounds and a bit of looping, but that knocks my efforts into a very cocked hat.

oh -sweet little HH too !

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Spoombung' post='643309' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:28 PM']Thanks Alan. I probably shouldn't say this...but my own personal favourites don't usually feature the bass too much![/quote]

Of course when you're making the music, the more familiar elements like the sound of your fretless playing must after a while feel a bit 'been there done that' so, to your ears, your favourites aren't bass heavy. But whenever I hear you play the bass it sounds like only you could have done it, it is a completely unique sound. That is a serious achievement on any instrument let alone the bass.

Kudos!

Cairo

[quote name='Cairobill' post='644326' date='Nov 3 2009, 12:45 PM']Of course when you're making the music, the more familiar elements like the sound of your fretless playing must after a while feel a bit 'been there done that' so, to your ears, your favourites aren't bass heavy. But whenever I hear you play the bass it sounds like only you could have done it, it is a completely unique sound. That is a serious achievement on any instrument let alone the bass.

Kudos!

Cairo[/quote]

That's very nice of you to say that but I can't help thinking that a better grasp of the [i]popular pulse[/i] would have served me better on occasion!