Why become a member? ×

Lost my love for Bass Albums

philwood

You're on the right track...

I have to say that you should dispense with all that godawful bass solo album stuff apart from one. Pastorius is a very good composer indeed - none of the others in the list are on the same page.

So, continue listening to Pastorius and righteously shun the rest of the finger wiggling. It can be a pleasure to listen to (as a bassist) but musically it is pretty thin gruel...

Nick

[quote name='RichB' post='638489' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:10 PM']Many thanks. However, it has simply compounded an already acute situation.

I'm obviously not as lucky as you. :)[/quote]

I'm wondering if you realise who [b]Alan Coran[/b] is, rather than Alain Caron. Apologies if you do.

Blimey, had never heard Alan Caron before ..and hope I won't do again!

Pastorius is diiferent and as stated above could actually compose - Three Views of a Secret is a really beautiful piece of music (especially the Word of Mouth Big Band version) and has nothing to do with bass w@nkery

I can take or leave bass orientated music. Jaco's work is as much about the compositional skill for me, and his amazing time keeping than his soloing. His solos are really quite dull most of the time. Manring is an exception as someone already said, he just happens to compose and play on a bass, but what he does goes beyond strict bass playing. I have complete respect and understanding for that, and can enjoy the music compositionally as well as technically for that reason.

Nothing beats good old solid groove, and for that just slap on some Bob Marley or early Led Zeppelin. Sheer quality. If you're into a more modern tone but love groove, I strongly recommend Nik Bartsch's [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbi80MDCZc8"]RONIN[/url] - now that guy can groove in the oddest of time signatures and still lays it down. (Imagine a cross between Steve Reich and the hardest, tightest funk/jazz band around and you're close).

[quote name='51m0n' post='638192' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:20 PM']Funy that - if I want to listen to virtuosic bass I listen to some Meshel or Bob Marley .

With the sole exception of Michael Manring, who I dont actually think is playin bass, he is composing music on a four stringed instrement that fully deserves the Hyper tag. He still surprises, amazes and delights me with his compositions. And he really isnt w**k*** IMO.

As for Vic, Alain, Marcus etc heard all they do ages ago[/quote]
I've got a Manring album - Unusal Weather , I think it's called . Its great .

I agree with the others about bass albums though .

I got the Jaco debut album years ago , cause "I thought I should have it " , and after the first listen ,it went with all the other bass albums .
I prefer his Joni Mitchell stuff to his more solo outings .

I bought a Marcus Miller in concert DVD and it's dreadful . Great playing - no doubt about it , but I just can't stand the tuneless tunes .

I thought it was me , but I'm glad I'm in esteemed company .

I do like alot of Bass Player albums. There is some great music in there.
Jaco wrote some great pieces,as did Marcus,and Stanley,and Patitucci. You just need
to look beyond the pyrotechnics. I've just been listening to 'Joe Frazier'by
Jeff Berlin(with Bruford) and it's great.
Listen to the solo albums of Tal Wilkenfeld and Janek Gwizdala and they're
full of ace music. Hadrien Feraud on the other hand............
If you want a Bass Player album that is full of great music and
killer playing,check out 'View' or 'Thanks in Advance' by Bryan Beller...
both are awesome.

Oh yeah,I'm a massive Alain Caron fan too.

I once got some good advice from a session player, along the lines of "You spend 10 years learning how to play and then the rest of your life learning what not to play."

As others have said, you've got to got listen to a lot of different stuff to find out what's possible and then work out what you can do and then what you actually want to do. It's absolutely natural to decide that some of the stuff you've listened to whilst learning isn't very interesting after all. Some of the rubbish I've listened to because the bassline is interesting is downright embarrassing.

I really hate the jazz-funk-light that a lot of technically gifted bass players seem to gravitate towards. To me it's musical dishwater - particularly when it's been created primarily to throw the spotlight on a bass playing virtuoso to the detriment of the music. Why is the tone of the bass horribly tinny quite often as in Alain Do-dah's video?

I don't count the Jaco's output in this category as I think the majority (but certainly not all) of his playing fits in with the overall musical context - and it also helped that he played with some seriously talented people. I'm afraid that I still think Donna Lee is genius after hearing it for the first time first 20 years ago.

I also think there's a point where there's only so much time and effort you want to put into technique (particularly when life starts getting in the way).

My favourite bassline at the moment is to JB's Soul Power (Bootsy), it couldn't be simpler yet it's so effective and also strangely gets the baby off to sleep.

Sorry, I've just nodded off myself reading back my posting.

I have to say that I disagree on the 'Welcome back' comment.

It's not this or that, one is not mutually exclusive of the other.

All forms of music have their place and time and I listen to basscentric stuff when the mood takes me. The range of bass playing used is too large to squeeze it into a genre too imo.

I'm a big fan of bass-centric music and bass virtuosos, although I only spend a fraction of my time listening specifically to them. Since I joined here (on the original forum) I've always been amazed at the narrow remit that bassists in general seem to find acceptable. As a multi-instrumentalist, I hang out occasionally on other forums for guitar, keyboards, drums and chapman stick, and no other set of musicians seems to have this curious attitude whereby they want to put-down virtuosos of their chosen instrument. I'm not criticising anyone here, it's just an observation.

Funny lot, bass players.

One of my favourite bass players is Roscoe Beck but his solo album features only one bass solo which lasts about 15 seconds. The rest of the album is dominated by great good songs performed by an ensemble of great musos and nicely produced by the man himself.

That Alain Caron clip was OK, but not stunning and I got bored at about 5 mins.

[quote name='Golchen' post='638766' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:43 AM']no other set of musicians seems to have this curious attitude whereby they want to put-down virtuosos of their chosen instrument. I'm not criticising anyone here, it's just an observation.[/quote]

I get your point, G, but I guess that bass players are in a unique position in that the role of their instrument is traditionally supportive. As virtuosity tends to lend itself to solo flights of fantasy, it requires a conceptual shift that many are reluctant to make. I think the reasons for this are complex and may include a reluctance to engage with the 'new' vocabulary required to 'keep up' with these virtuoso players but, as I said, there are few other instruments that are so locked into a role as the bass.

Interesting point: I grew up a prog. fan in the early to mid-70s and one of the criticisms levied at prog and rock in general came from the 'anti-guitar hero' sensibilities of the Punk/New Wave movement. Guitarists were as culpable as anyone and criticised Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Richie Blackmore, Leslie West etc etc as 'self indulgent.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='638788' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:14 AM']Interesting point: I grew up a prog. fan in the early to mid-70s and one of the criticisms levied at prog and rock in general came from the 'anti-guitar hero' sensibilities of the Punk/New Wave movement. Guitarists were as culpable as anyone and criticised Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Richie Blackmore, Leslie West etc etc as 'self indulgent.[/quote]

That's 'cause they were! :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='638617' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:18 AM']I have to say that I disagree on the 'Welcome back' comment.

It's not this or that, one is not mutually exclusive of the other.

All forms of music have their place and time and I listen to basscentric stuff when the mood takes me. The range of bass playing used is too large to squeeze it into a genre too imo.[/quote]

+ 1...

Just listening to some bass-related albums gives me inspiration for other situations.
I try not to restrict myself, sometimes I'm able to listen to a whole Miller or Wooten album, the next day I can't stand a single note. If I have to listen to Coldplay's bassplayer for instance there's not much going on for me I'm afraid, so some occasional Caron, Pattituci, etc... blows away the cobwebbs from any routine. It comes and goes..
I wouldn't like the idea that I think bass-albums are stupid or a waste of time, I love to hear influences and new bass-stuff and on "normal" albums, you cannot find that.
I do think that it's not because you're an excellent bassplayer that you're an excellent composer (I'm afraid I don't like the Jaco-solorecords, except for "Three views of a secret"..)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='638877' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:42 AM']That's 'cause they were! :)[/quote]

What is more self indulgent? A guitarist playing what were generally fairly melodic solos or a singer telling us whats wrong in their relationships, politics or religion? Poetry! Now THAT's self indulgent!

I can't stand albums that are purely centred around a solo instrument, personally. Not just bass, solo guitar albums like a lot of Steve Vai's work I find horrifically contrived - music for the sake of providing a backdrop for widdling, most of the time.

One album I've been listening to a lot lately though that has outstandingly played, melodic and bloody tricky to boot bass playing on it is Keasby Nights by Streetlight Manifesto. If you like ska/punk (4th wave mind, think Rancid but faster and less punky) then check it out, the bass playing is steller.