Why become a member? ×

Lost my love for Bass Albums

philwood

In the last couple of years ive found myself gradually 'going off' bass orientated albums.
From about the ages of 15 to 22 i probably listened to nothing else (almost) than Victor, Stanley, Marcus, Jaco, Alain Caron, Adam Nitti etc etc etc and anything made by a bass player be it video, dvd, cd.
And now although i will occasionally listen back to them, im kind of finding none of that stuff or the 'new' guys, floats my musical boat anymore!
I mean i love to solo and explore that side of things, but its just not doing it for me listening to it anymore! Do I sound like a hyprocrite??

Anyone else gone through this???

Yeah, I get fed up with the bass w***ery (can I say that?) on some of these albums too. My ipod is full of the same artists as you, but at the end of the day, without a [i]song[/i] or [i]melody[/i] it's just dull.

I'm actually moving away from solo bass stuff, I've gone [i]right off [/i]lead bass, eg; Marcus, Victor etc and I'm heading back towards the more old school stuff and lots of funk/soul bands where the bass just locks in with the drums and gets deep into the groove.

Fancy chops? PAH! Give me a decent tune to listen to.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='638087' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:09 PM']Never owned a bass solo album. Not interested in them at all. As a bassist obviously I have massive respect for these guys, but I jsut find the sort of stuff they do on bass albums (Jaco especially) boring.[/quote]
Yeah, me too. I get much more from songs and band performances.

I know bass can do a lot of things... I just don't really want to hear 'em.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='638087' date='Oct 27 2009, 04:09 PM']Never owned a bass solo album. Not interested in them at all.

As a bassist obviously I have massive respect for these guys, but I jsut find the sort of stuff they do on bass albums (Jaco especially) boring.[/quote]

Me too. I'd rather listen to a song than a technique.

I find them unlistenable at best. I hate show off music.

[quote name='philwood' post='638006' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:10 PM']In the last couple of years ive found myself gradually 'going off' bass orientated albums.
From about the ages of 15 to 22 i probably listened to nothing else (almost) than Victor, Stanley, Marcus, Jaco, Alain Caron, Adam Nitti etc etc etc and anything made by a bass player be it video, dvd, cd.
And now although i will occasionally listen back to them, im kind of finding none of that stuff or the 'new' guys, floats my musical boat anymore!
I mean i love to solo and explore that side of things, but its just not doing it for me listening to it anymore! Do I sound like a hyprocrite??

Anyone else gone through this???[/quote]Welcome back to music.

Funy that - if I want to listen to virtuosic bass I listen to some Meshel or Bob Marley .

With the sole exception of Michael Manring, who I dont actually think is playin bass, he is composing music on a four stringed instrement that fully deserves the Hyper tag. He still surprises, amazes and delights me with his compositions. And he really isnt w**k*** IMO.

As for Vic, Alain, Marcus etc heard all they do ages ago

[quote name='Rayman' post='638015' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:18 PM']I'm actually moving away from solo bass stuff, I've gone [i]right off [/i]lead bass, eg; Marcus, Victor etc and I'm heading back towards the more old school stuff and lots of funk/soul bands where the bass just locks in with the drums and gets deep into the groove.

Fancy chops? PAH! Give me a decent tune to listen to.[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel. I like a nice short bass solo, but I want it to be a mid song surprise rather than dominating the whole thing. It's all about the groove.

Same goes for lead guitar too, give me some nice fills and a short solo, but lay off the whole "virtuoso" trip and play me a song.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='638092' date='Oct 27 2009, 04:11 PM']I get much more from songs and band performances.

I know bass can do a lot of things... I just don't really want to hear 'em.[/quote]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='638106' date='Oct 27 2009, 04:18 PM']Welcome back to music.[/quote]
Those two statements sum it up completely.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='638183' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:16 PM']My wife has just seen this post and is accusing me of possessing the complete works of Alain Coran.[/quote]
Hah hah! Brilliant :)

I can listen to Alan Coran for a very long time.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='philwood' post='638006' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:10 PM']From about the ages of 15 to 22 i probably listened to nothing else (almost) than Victor, Stanley, Marcus, Jaco, Alain Caron, Adam Nitti etc etc etc and anything made by a bass player be it video, dvd, cd.[/quote]

Surprised you're not in therapy (apologies if you are). Like all art, balance is key.

C

I agree totally. I think there is a necessary process when you explore the potential of the instrument in the hands of those masters but, ultimately, it IS about the music and great technique is of limited interest in the long run. I have long since lost the whole bass album/bass magazine/GAS/gear obsession perspective and started listening to the music. I still love virtuosity but not as an end in itself. I think some of the players listed as early favourites have still made some beautiful music, in spite of their reputations as shredmeisters. Jaco's 'Word Of Mouth' CD is full of great music (i.e. not bass focussed) and I love Stanley Clarke on those first 2/3 Return to Forever album. But it is great playing in the context of great music rather than great playing full stop. I have said elsewhere here that its one of the reasons I don't really enjoy James Jamerson: great player but I don't really like that Motown stuff he is playing those great lines on. Jeff Berlin is another one: great player but I just don't like the music he makes. I find that studying music and not musicians also takes you away from technique/acrobatics and back towards the noises we are all making. Most bass CDs are like movies with great special effects and no plot.

You're just growing up, mate :)

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='638087' date='Oct 27 2009, 04:09 PM']Never owned a bass solo album. Not interested in them at all.

As a bassist obviously I have massive respect for these guys, but I jsut find the sort of stuff they do on bass albums (Jaco especially) boring.[/quote]

I agree fully here, always nice to see some mad skillz on a bass but i will always prefer a bassist that can throw in a little solo rather make the song all about the bass.

[quote name='silddx' post='638471' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:57 PM'] [/quote]

Many thanks. However, it has simply compounded an already acute situation.

[quote name='silddx' post='638447' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:33 PM']Hah hah! Brilliant :rolleyes:

I can listen to Alan Coran for a very long time.[/quote]

I'm obviously not as lucky as you. :)