Why become a member? ×

South East Bash

Merton

[quote name='G-77' post='47377' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:59 PM']and a big thanks to Dave for sorting out the room.[/quote]

Big thanks from me too, Dave. For me the highlights were the Markbass combo and Dave's Darkstar loaded bass. I was pleasantly surprised to see Oxblood show interest in my Roland basscube combo - shows that every piece of gear has its place under the sun. And, of course, big thanks to everyone who complemented my Squier loaded with Villex pups and booster.

Tigran

[quote name='G-77' post='47376' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:58 PM']Whoot i'm a legend!!!

Good day , had much fun catching up with you all, I think the hi-light for me was watching Luke on the G-77, with a huge grin (did silverfoxnik take a pic), I eventually got it to run through the pa and got some big fat 80 synth sounds ringing out. Sorry i didn't get to take any video this time had my hand full with the G-77!!

oh yeh and that Funny French thing of Peds was ok, :)

See you all at the next one,
Trev.[/quote]
Sure did Trev, it's here below along with a load of others that were taken. Apologies for the poor quality of the photos as it was pretty dark in the room. Hopefully, they'll show some of the flavour or spirit for the day?

Nik

Walman playing Bloodaxe's short-scale Aria with tremelo!

Vigier, Wal, Fender and Musicman basses..

Me playing Luke's Warwick Streamer 5

Sibob with the new Lakland DJ5

Sibob playing Crazykiwi's beautiful Ken Smith 6

Ped with the DJ5

Love this picture of Ped - playing to the very last!

Brief respite from playing whilst OBBM, Crazykiwi and G77 chew the fat

OBBM proves he eats 3 Weetabix for breakfast!

Nick Thomas and Stingrayfan with their USA G&L L2500s

[quote name='G-77' post='47376' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:58 PM']Whoot i'm a legend!!!

Good day , had much fun catching up with you all, I think the hi-light for me was watching Luke on the G-77, with a huge grin (did silverfoxnik take a pic), I eventually got it to run through the pa and got some big fat 80 synth sounds ringing out. Sorry i didn't get to take any video this time had my hand full with the G-77!!

oh yeh and that Funny French thing of Peds was ok, :)

See you all at the next one,
Trev.[/quote]
And a few more...

Luke showing guitarists how it should really be done!!

The Ashbory proved to be very popluar..

Dr Funk with the G77 gets halo & divine approval for his playing..

Crazykiwi's Ken Smith 6, MM Cutlass and Celinder

The Basschat Quo Tribute band in rehearsal...

Villex Europe and Crazykiwi..

I love that the only two pictures of me playing are with a 5 string and a 6 string, neither of which i play day-to-day, although that is kinda half the purpose of these meets i guess, stepping outside the box and all that :).
Outa the two, the Lakland was my fave "more-then-four" of the day, the Smith was nice though.

Hightlights for me was finally meeting Ped & Luke (albeit briefly) and chatting with OBBM & Silverfoxnik.

Gear wise, it was definatly great to try the Laklands out, the Darkstar loaded one was monstrous! But the DJ's were fantastic! Wanna get me one, or at least try one out in a gig setting!
Thanks a lot to Dave for sorting it all out! And yeah lets sort next year :huh:

Cheers all

Si

Thanks for a great day Dave. Great to meet all of you.. the highlights for me were:

Trevors G 77 - woah! Much fun although my ears were rather tired after a while, shame I missed it going through the PA..
Finally meeting Ped and his Vigiers
Daves Lakland Daryl Jones and his advice on how to set my j-retro.

Thanks everyone!

[quote name='obbm' post='47340' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:27 PM']If you're going to do that then maybe we should have retro theme (not J-Retro) and I'll bring my WEM and Sound City bits. Anyone got a Framus Star bass?[/quote]

I could bring my old Marshall Superbass 100 Plexi (the guy who gave it a major overhaul recently reckoned 67-69). It sounded nice when the basic work was done on it a few years back with some cheap power valves. This time around we went the whole hog & got some decent valves. It is being used as an alternate guitar amp at the mo & I have no speakers for it but could probably "borrow" a 15 bin from our sound guy.

Look forward to the next one.

I even went so far as to look up flights to Manchester for the UK day in November today - then got a nasty shock £154 return Southampton - Manchester. Perhaps not. I think it could be better spent on a new toy :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='47440' date='Aug 19 2007, 04:55 PM']
Walman playing Bloodaxe's short-scale Aria with tremelo![/quote]

Ahhh my son would be so proud!! [url="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15497357"]He being a typical guitarist noodling over the bass solo[/url] :)

Thanks Dave for getting us together. Best part of the day was putting faces to names and chatting :) It was also interesting to look at the different favoured neck set-ups on each bass.

As for bass frottage, I enjoyed Kiwi's Celinder and Ped's fretless Vigier - both very nice.

Shame I missed the G.77 through the PA - it sounded funky through the headphones :huh:

Hamster

[quote name='obbm' post='47340' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:27 PM']If you're going to do that then maybe we should have retro theme (not J-Retro) and I'll bring my WEM and Sound City bits. Anyone got a Framus Star bass?[/quote]
My Trace Elliot's not that retro - it'll still horrify any vintage tone fans with it's scooped hi-fi sound. :)

Wish I could have made it - Everyone looks like they had a great time.

Some of them basses look gorgeous - the Blue DJ5 in particular!

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next one - I'll bring my pedalboard, and by the time the next one is, I'll probably have my Valenti!

a perfectly pleasant way to while away a Saturday afternoon. :)

A couple of notables for me; Kiwi's Celinder kicks out an obscene amount of bass :huh: and I'm not normally into fretless but Lukes GW Ibanez was a bit special.

Nice one OBBM, looking forward to the next!

Gutted I couldn't make this in the end. I'm still having the itch to get my greasy paws over OBBM's Lakland DD and see what is all the fuss about these Dark Star pickups. It was great of him to organise the thing in the first place. Will definately drag my behind to the next bash, be it national or regional.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='48109' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:46 AM']Gutted I couldn't make this in the end. I'm still having the itch to get my greasy paws over OBBM's Lakland DD and see what is all the fuss about these Dark Star pickups. It was great of him to organise the thing in the first place. Will definately drag my behind to the next bash, be it national or regional.[/quote]
The Dark Star pick (and the DD itself) was amazing! Probably the most 'huge' sounding pick up as I've ever heard! Very cool bass...

• 2 weeks later...

Now that everything is done and dusted, today I was able to make a donation of £130 to the Meningitis Trust, this being the difference between the total attendees subscriptions and the cost of the room.

Well done everyone.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='52313' date='Aug 29 2007, 01:56 PM']Whens the next one :)[/quote]

Mustn't do it too often otherwise it devalues the occassion. I would think sometime in the spring.

Probably on a Sunday as some work on Saturdays and there is less chance of clashing with gigs. One question is during or out-of school holiday periods?