Why become a member? ×

South East Bash

Merton

So, to catch up from where we left off...

OBBM is checking out ACM and will keep us in the loop - cheers Dave!
I'm checking the Harlequin in Redhill as another option

We had about 40-odd people showing interest I think - post here to remind us who you are and keep the ideas coming in!!

[quote name='Merton' post='436' date='May 17 2007, 03:15 PM']So, to catch up from where we left off...

OBBM is checking out ACM and will keep us in the loop - cheers Dave!
I'm checking the Harlequin in Redhill as another option

We had about 40-odd people showing interest I think - post here to remind us who you are and keep the ideas coming in!![/quote]

Thanks for posting this Martin.

This is still CONCEPT, NOT REALITY

NO VENUE HAS BEEN SET

NO DATE HAS BEEN SET

DO NOT keep posting about it being at ACM, because it isn't.

By all means talk about what sort of event you'd like.

[quote name='obbm' post='472' date='May 17 2007, 04:02 PM']Thanks for posting this Martin.

This is still CONCEPT, NOT REALITY

NO VENUE HAS BEEN SET

NO DATE HAS BEEN SET

DO NOT keep posting about it being at ACM, because it isn't.

By all means talk about what sort of event you'd like.[/quote]

Yeah, spot on :) As I said, keep the ideas rolling in!

[quote]Posted by: jhferret May 1 2007, 11:22 PM
Anyone interested? Anyone got any ideas for venues? Never been to one of these so I dont know the form.[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: s_u_y_* May 2 2007, 01:03 AM
lol... looks like there might a South-West and South-East bash...
I'd be up for a bash nearby London.[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: simon73 May 2 2007, 01:31 AM
A south east bash, intrested. Somewhere thats easy for eveyone to get to. Near London sounds good to me![/quote]

[quote]Posted by: Dusty May 2 2007, 02:36 AM
Mike at the Bass Merchant (Witham, Essex) was talking about doing something. That could be an option.[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: LFalex May 2 2007, 08:12 AM
I'd be interested. Especially as I missed the Northants one![/quote]

[quote]Posted by: Mobius May 2 2007, 08:22 AM
It'd be good if it was in the summer, hopefully I'll have a car by then which will make getting to it easier.[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: Beedster May 2 2007, 09:19 AM
Essex ain't south east, that's the bloody midlands compared to where i live! All joking aside, if we take the time to plan a s/e bash, not much point it being less than 50 miles from the last national one...? I'm happy to help arrange something london/surrey/kent area.
C[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: LukeWard2004 May 2 2007, 12:31 PM
Im in Windsor, and woudl be up for a south east bash - there are quite a few reading bassists too that I could drag along.....[/quote]

[quote]Posted by: jhferret May 2 2007, 12:32 PM
I was thinking something like Surrey M25 area. Reigate/Redhill/Dorking - you get the idea. Essex might as well be Northants for people from wildest Kent and Hampshire. I would try and tee up a venue myself but I live right on the coast and the A27 is the worst road in the world.[/quote]

Posted by: Merton May 2 2007, 12:43 PM
Cool. I work at the Harlequin Theatre in Redhill sometimes, could hire their function rooms??

Posted by: dood May 2 2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, I'm interested.. depending on whereabouts. I like the Bass Merchant idea, as he has a dedicated 'noisey' room downstairs in his building.. though it's a bit echoey (or at least was when I last went) due to just being a concrete room! ;o)

Posted by: silverfoxnik May 2 2007, 05:59 PM
QUOTE(LFalex @ May 2 2007, 08:12 AM) I'd be interested. Especially as I missed the Northants one!

+1 on that

I think anywhere within London and the immediate surrounding areas would be good. Like jhferret, I'm on the south coast so the March bash wasn't that easy for me, though I wanted to go. Last January, I went to a Walfest (like the Bassworld bash but mainly for Wal owners) and it was held in a large rehearsal room that everyone split the cost of and it worked out about £8-£10 each which was great. Something similar would be cool..

Posted by: Breakfast May 2 2007, 10:16 PM
If I were free (which sadly I rarely am ) I'd be up for this too - I'm down Surrey way too.

Posted by: TimmyC May 2 2007, 10:19 PM
Damn that's still about 2.5 hours north east of where I am

Posted by: Dusty May 3 2007, 12:53 AM
I brought up the Bass Merchent idea, as Mike has the downstairs room and was intrested in inviting 'other' small custom builders along as well, but I can see it's location being it's only downfull. Ideally, somewhere close to the Southside of the M25 would be good, Croydon, Gatwick etc, but I'm not familier with studios / facilities in that region. I know of a ideal studio in Rainham, Essex we could use, close to the M25, but again It's not best located for those from the South-West. Would be nice if we could get something together

Posted by: jhferret May 3 2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE(Merton @ May 2 2007, 12:43 PM) Cool. I work at the Harlequin Theatre in Redhill sometimes, could hire their function rooms??

Sounds like a plan. Sorry for the guy in Bournemouth but that really is nowhere land (niether east nor west - just south). Guess we all just chip in for the room hire. Refreshments? We'll have to keep bumping this up to see what response we get - not worth doing for 3 people. Anyone seen OBBM on here, or Russ from Eastbourne?

Posted by: Bloodaxe May 3 2007, 01:13 AM
If it's within the realms of public transport from sunny Catford, count me in.

Posted by: Beedster May 3 2007, 09:14 AM
I'm sure those of us with cars could arrange to help out those without. Re. location, let's make it as close to the M25 as possible
C

Posted by: LukeWard2004 May 3 2007, 10:20 AM
IM happy to help out with transportation for those bassworlders in the Reading/Windsor area of Berkshire.

Posted by: rush_rule May 3 2007, 10:36 AM
I'd defo be up for coming to a southern one.

Posted by: Merton May 3 2007, 01:35 PM
I'll check prices for the Harlequin next time I'm in. There's a decent car park, and a cafe/bar thing open til about 3pm so that's all easy! As with closeness to M25, it's probably 5 minutes off it and right next to Redhill station for those train types.

Posted by: s_u_y_* May 3 2007, 01:37 PM
Sounds excellent! Getting excited... this may be my first Bash.

Posted by: funky_bass_guy May 3 2007, 01:43 PM
I would definately be up for it if it was easy to get to on the train

Posted by: Merton May 3 2007, 01:50 PM
Godalming to Redhill is dead easy

Posted by: wazz May 3 2007, 02:36 PM
sounds like a good idea. I'm interested.

Posted by: jhferret May 3 2007, 10:33 PM
Any more?

Posted by: christabel May 3 2007, 10:43 PM
I'd be interested in coming along

Posted by: BassJase May 4 2007, 12:27 AM
I live on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, so i'd prefer a southerly north east of the east bash if possible please.
But yeah, i'll come along. Having it at the Bass Merchant would be awesome if possible.

Posted by: Stewart May 4 2007, 12:39 AM
Definitely interested, in fact I'd almost certainly attend.

Posted by: e2d May 4 2007, 12:57 AM
Great Idea, I'll be there.

Posted by: BassBalls May 4 2007, 03:11 PM
Sounds great. Ill be up for it. Are girlfriends allowed to come?

Posted by: TheFunk May 5 2007, 12:47 AM
Can we book somewhere ridiculous in Central London? Function room of a hotel and fill it full of bass rigs and get 100 bassists playing Black Night and The Chain - stuff that everyone can play but still sounds great?

Posted by: jhferret May 5 2007, 12:50 AM
Yes the bass merchant would be good but like someone else said its only a few miles away from the regular bash in Northamptonsh*te. Its got to be south of the river really cos the regular bash is miles away from darkest Kent or Hampshire.

Posted by: Mike May 5 2007, 11:07 AM
To be fair it's at least 2 hrs drive from there to the Northampton bash - I know, I drove it! Actually took me longer, darned roadworks on A1.

Posted by: oxblood May 5 2007, 11:35 AM
Seeing as how wot like I live in Leytonstone, an Essex bash sounds a fine idea. Of course, a Leytonstone bash would be even better. Forget hotel suites, what we need is an industrial/warehouse unit: plenty of space, plenty of power points, no neighbours to annoy, and only a short walk to the nearest steamy caff/pub. East London is full of this kind of stuff.

Posted by: NickThomas May 6 2007, 09:51 AM
I'll hopefully be up for this... Depends on the date :-)

Posted by: jhferret May 6 2007, 08:02 PM
It regularly used to take me 2 hours to get to Colchester, often more. Problem is the roads in the SE are rubbish and to get anywhere north/south means using the M25. Perhaps we should do both.

Posted by: misrule May 9 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm up for a South East bash. We could possibly hire a posh school's auditorium when they're all away on holiday.

Posted by: Mobius May 11 2007, 06:25 PM
How about Reading? Good train and motorway access

Posted by: NickThomas May 12 2007, 09:18 AM
Millenium dome?

Posted by: jhferret May 12 2007, 10:36 AM
You paying?

Posted by: jhferret May 12 2007, 10:37 AM
QUOTE(Mobius @ May 11 2007, 06:25 PM) How about Reading? Good train and motorway access

But not really in the south east - more like south middle!

Posted by: s_u_y_* May 12 2007, 10:39 AM
QUOTE(jhferret @ May 12 2007, 10:37 AM) But not really in the south east - more like south middle!

That's why it is about London baby!

Posted by: jhferret May 12 2007, 10:50 AM
Yes. But it is such an arse getting into London by car. Last gig I did in London, it took 30 mins to get to Croydon and another hour to get to Tooting! Thats what makes Surrey M25 area so attractive, easy to get to for all of us.

Posted by: Beedster May 12 2007, 11:06 AM
Kenn to be involved guys but Reading's not Southj East - if having it there we might as well go to Northants as far as I'm converned - and anything inside the M25 will be a nightmare for those of us driving. Northern reaches of Surrey, Sussex, Kent or even Hampshaire I'd be happy to do.
Chris

Posted by: OBBM May 12 2007, 09:52 PM
Why not go for broke and see if it could be held at ACM in Guildford?

Posted by: NickThomas May 13 2007, 11:09 AM
JHF .. how long does it take you to get up that way from Brighton?

Posted by: silverfoxnik May 13 2007, 11:13 AM
That's a good idea!! Guildford's about 1hr 20 mins from me on the south coast, depending on traffic..Still really up for this idea but have to admit that the idea of anywhere inside the M25 is a big turn-off because of all the transport/traffic/parking issues,

Posted by: jhferret May 13 2007, 06:31 PM
It takes a good hour to Guildford from Brighton but I dont live that far. 'bout 45 to 60 mins for me depending on traffic.

Posted by: LukeWard2004 May 14 2007, 10:10 AM
Guildford is ok for me - about 45 mins away - would be happ with that.

Posted by: s_u_y_* May 14 2007, 10:23 AM
Guildford at the ACM sounds great! But how much do you think it will cost altogether?

Posted by: jhferret May 14 2007, 07:27 PM
Never heard of it till now. Personally I dont think you can learn rock and roll at school but thats another issue. Anyone got any contacts? If we do a joint thing with the bass school we might get it for nothing and pick up some new bass talkers.

Posted by: OBBM May 14 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm on the case.

Posted by: Mobius May 14 2007, 07:57 PM
Any ideas on a date then? The thing is I'll be in Brum til near the end of June.

Posted by: NickThomas May 14 2007, 08:57 PM
Cool .. Guildfords fine with me then. I'm there depending on the date. Anyone stuck for transport between here and there, I'd be happy to pick up on the way. Unless you're drug taking, grunge music listening , follower of the black arts, hippies. Looking forward to it

Posted by: OBBM May 14 2007, 09:04 PM
Please don't jump the gun. I've started making some tentative enquiries through a friend who tutors there.

Please remember that ACM is a commercial concern and as such will be looking to make a profit.

Posted by: misrule May 14 2007, 09:08 PM
Guildford would be good for me too. OBBM beat me to the rest of my comment -- would ACM have us?

Posted by: Musky May 14 2007, 09:13 PM
I've joined this thread a bit late, but I'd be up for coming along as well. If we could get ACM it could be a good situation for all of us - some potential pupils for ACM and new members for us.

Posted by: Breakfast May 14 2007, 10:00 PM
Guildford suits me. It's not quite walking distance, but it's not far off

Posted by: Dusty May 15 2007, 05:29 AM
Guildfords o.k for me, Can provide transport as well from South Essex if required.

Posted by: Merton May 15 2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, good luck Dave. I'm working at the Harlequin on Saturday so I'll check for any free dates there.

Is Sat best for everyone or Sun? The reason I ask is coz for me from next weekend onwards I have zero Saturdays free coz of gigs, some as far afield as the Isle of Wight and Kendal - it's not a case of a local gig so can be at the bash then foxtrot oscar to a gig a bit later. Except maybe Sat 30th June - playing a village carnival in Copthornre, so everyone could come and laugh at me there. Or even play bass for a song - we could have a merry-go-round of bassplayers.

Posted by: jhferret May 15 2007, 10:33 PM
Keep it going. I was thinking along the lines that there are a few more southern members that have not picked up on this yet. Depends on getting available dates for the venues I suppose.

Posted by: OBBM May 15 2007, 10:37 PM
Just to let you know I've made an initial pitch and am waiting for an answer. We'll take it one step at a time. Meanwhile I'm looking for other suitable venues in this area. It would be useful to have some idea of numbers.

Posted by: Bloodaxe May 15 2007, 10:45 PM
About 22 expressing an interest so far by my reckoning.

Posted by: Basslaw May 15 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi there - fairly new to this site, but am enjoying it. What is 'bash'? Bass-talk with beers or massive bass-jam? I do some part-time lecturing at ACM, so am happy to help if needed. Any potential dates or not yet?

Posted by: OBBM May 15 2007, 11:33 PM
Neither. Do a search and find the video of the last one and you'll see what went on. Thanks for your offer of help but we are not even at the discussion stage yet. If we need help I'll be in touch.

Posted by: Bloodaxe May 15 2007, 11:36 PM
Kind of a bit of all of the above. Mainly an opportunity to meet up & put faces to names & talk tut for an afternoon, with the added bonus of most people bringing an interesting selection of amps, cabs, & basses for the delectation of all.

Posted by: slowhand_mike May 16 2007, 10:40 AM
only just noticed this, though this kinda thing scare the livin begeeezzuss outta me and only just got over my original gas which has now turned into extension cab gas ho hum. see how brave i am and i might be able to make it.

Posted by: walbassist May 16 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm up for this!

Posted by: funky_bass_guy May 16 2007, 03:04 PM
Should the ACM fall through Backline Studios in guildford might be a good option if we rented their big live room. Very cheap and as close to the station as is physically possible.

Posted by: bassbloke May 16 2007, 04:07 PM
I'd be up for this. Am happy to bring my backline and a bass along.

Posted by: TheFunk May 17 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm up for it if it's a date I can do. ACM sounds cool. I know a couple of people there. Bought a bass from the For Sale section off a cool bloke who was a student there.

Edited by slaphappygarry

Posted by: simon73 May 2 2007, 01:31 AM
A south east bash, intrested. Somewhere thats easy for eveyone to get to. Near London sounds good to me!

Still interested. Would be up for a bash somewhere in the south east. Croydon would be good for me.

To get this thing moving, we only need to do two things:

1) Set a date
2) Decide on a location

So to start us off, I suggest:

1) Sat 25th or Sun 26th August - because it gives us 3 months to organise it and it's a bank holiday so we'd have an extra day to recover!

2) Water Rats Rehearsal Studios in Surrey - went to something there before and it was OK but we'd probably need 2 rooms... Here's a link:

[url="http://www.waterrat.co.uk/?gclid=CI6M7LuYlowCFRooEAodfR83eA"]http://www.waterrat.co.uk/?gclid=CI6M7LuYlowCFRooEAodfR83eA[/url]

Well that's my 2p worth... :)

Nik

[quote name='Mobius' post='1111' date='May 18 2007, 02:39 AM']Not the bank holiday, clashes with Reading Festival![/quote]

Good point - how about the following weekend then, early September? Gets Reading and the Bank Hols out of the way and it's just before kids go back to school..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1127' date='May 18 2007, 07:36 AM']Good point - how about the following weekend then, early September? Gets Reading and the Bank Hols out of the way and it's just before kids go back to school..[/quote]

We are not going to be able to pick a date to suit everyone. For example I am abroad for first 12 days of September. Also there will possibly be another national bash in mid/late September so we need to avoid clashing with that.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='1143' date='May 18 2007, 08:21 AM']We are not going to be able to pick a date to suit everyone. For example I am abroad for first 12 days of September. Also there will possibly be another national bash in mid/late September so we need to avoid clashing with that.[/quote]

So, who's free on Boxing Day then and wants a chance to get away fron the in-laws! :)

I would suggest Backline Studios in Guildford it's only 2 minutes walk from the main station and the rates for their live room are quite good value. We might be able to negociate some kind of deal for having the liveroom for the whole day.

OBBM - replied to your PM on here..

Redhill would be good for me (and although he doesn't know it, good for Simon73 too, cos he doesnt know surrey, coming from northamptonsh*te like he does- someone has to!) cos
a) I was born there and
2) I always get lost driving round Guildford (I suppose we could use a train!)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='942' date='May 17 2007, 10:59 PM']Water Rats Rehearsal Studios in Surrey - went to something there before and it was OK but we'd probably need 2 rooms... Here's a link:

[url="http://www.waterrat.co.uk/?gclid=CI6M7LuYlowCFRooEAodfR83eA"]http://www.waterrat.co.uk/?gclid=CI6M7LuYlowCFRooEAodfR83eA[/url][/quote]

Yeah... that sounds good! I expect this to be cheaper than ACM. Close to the train station is fantastic for me. Hopefully by then I'll have my lightweight rig sorted and could bring it by train.

[quote name='Linz' post='1789' date='May 18 2007, 09:07 PM']2) I always get lost driving round Guildford (I suppose we could use a train!)[/quote]

haha, me and my mates were there a few weeks ago and got hopelessly lost too! We were just driving round and picking whatever road 'looked' like it would be the way to where we were going :)

It got us there in the end though!

:)
Pleased to join in. I live near Merton, in Deigate, the posh bit of Deadhill. I will try to help with a venue if I can. How many are we likely to need to fit in? I can probably get the use of a small school hall in Caterham. Schools have the advantage of parking although not always next to the hall! Edited by Geejay