Why become a member? ×

The Return of the Bass from Uncle

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-old-vintage-70-s_W0QQitemZ220490536354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item33564295a2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-old...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Really that could be almost anything.

There were no S5 serials (let alone S+ 5 digits), the font is wrong for the serial, and the serial shouldn't even be on the headstock with the serif 'Jazz Bass' logo. Though why anybody would make mistakes like that if they were really trying to create a fake is beyond me.

Maybe it is exactly what he's claiming - and older refinished Jazz with plenty of parts replaced.

[quote name='WarPig' post='618251' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:10 AM']Quite like it :)

If the serial is legit its a 61 neck, so as he said its not the original.[/quote]

I think the serial numbers were on the neck plate until 1975 during that year they moved to the face of the headstock. My 75 Jazz has its serial number on the neck plate and my 78 precision has its on the face of the headstock.

Edited by cd_david

The serial number only checks out as a CIJ, and then it would be very recent - 2005 - 2006. Having said that, the neck doesn't exactly look consistent with the rest of the bass age-wise - I could easily believe they were decades apart.

This is all very odd - he's trying to push the idea that the paint's an "early factory refin" but the routing for the 3 microswitches it once had was plainly done before it was refinished, since the route is painted. It looks to me like the "enlarged" neck pocket was too, but it's hard to tell.

Gluing a neck into an o/s pocket would be a strange way of dealing with a sloppy fit, rather than simple shims. It would be a good way, however, of concealing any (lack of) dating evidence in the pocket or on the heel, and dissuading anyone from being sufficiently heavy handed to find out, it being such a rare & delicate old bass & all.

It's a sort of fishy colour, isn't it? Quite appropriate.

Jon.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='621274' date='Oct 9 2009, 08:16 AM']It wouldn't take much to ... erm ... "modify" your 2366B. Trouble is, that's such a nice bass as it is. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Wouldn't dream of desecrating that under any circumstances! But realistically, even top-end early 70s Jap copies like that are only cosmetically similar to real Fenders. That's one of the things I love about 'em. :)

J.

[quote name='WarPig' post='618251' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:10 AM']Quite like it :)

If the serial is legit its a 61 neck, so as he said its not the original.[/quote]

'61 necks did not have binding, block markers or serial numbers on the headstock - the neck as previously stated looks to be a '73.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='623212' date='Oct 11 2009, 04:34 PM']'61 necks did not have binding, block markers or serial numbers on the headstock - the neck as previously stated looks to be a '73.[/quote]
But surely the serial number is wrong for a '73 - as was already said the serial is a 2005 Japan serial.

[quote name='silddx' post='621427' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:01 AM']Anyone who looks at the decal on the headstock should notice that it looks like a 6 year old applied it. It's all over the place. Who Knows what the body is, could be a genuine one, hence the bids..[/quote]

I agree, that headstock decal looks incredibly suss! Never seen one of these before. May as well be a ´ Fecker Pretender Bass´-another star of Ebay