Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

don't think i've posted this before but just found it lurking on my hard drive.. The bass solo from Mr Big's version of the Deep Purple track 'Burn'

its not on youtube as they deleted the audio but i've uploaded it to another site (not sure how to embed that here though so follow the link!)

[url="http://www.youplayalong.com/video/716d20a71a4839c/Deep-Purple-%E2%80%98Burn%E2%80%99--Mr-Big-bass-solo-version"]Mr Big 'Burn' Bass Solo[/url]

Iron Maidens Wrathchild

if it is restricted in your country..you may follow this link
[url="http://www.youplayalong.com/video/d6981247337fd22/Iron-Maiden--Wrathchild"]http://www.youplayalong.com/video/d6981247...den--Wrathchild[/url]

Edited by 73Jazz

• 4 weeks later...

Been quiet for a while on the videos front (read: OBSCENELY busy everywhere else). However, today I thought I'd put a bit of foam under the strings of my Precision and give this tune a go:

Bubinga5 requested it AAAAAGES ago, so there you go mate!

[quote name='Huwberry' post='1292956' date='Jul 5 2011, 12:04 AM']Been quiet for a while on the videos front (read: OBSCENELY busy everywhere else). However, today I thought I'd put a bit of foam under the strings of my Precision and give this tune a go:

Bubinga5 requested it AAAAAGES ago, so there you go mate![/quote]

What a great tone, that sounds completely different to my P bass lol.

Very clean playing, and very inspiring.

Cheers for posting that.

A well dodgy jam from the Gasfest a few years ago.

You can hear me in the into... and can see me next to the drummer only after 2:50 ish when the camera moves!!

Dodgy sound indeed - probably not helped by me trying to play Hysteria on the fretless....

Edited by Bilbo

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' post='1309408' date='Jul 19 2011, 05:31 PM']Hi Folks,

Here's a solo vid I recorded a while ago:-

Cheers, Kev[/quote]

Kevin, you have the magic touch. You have great tone in your mind and fingers and it all comes out with great beauty. Immensely expressive playing that really touched me. I can't stand this kind of solo bass normally, I think the timbre is all wrong and it sounds so much better on guitar, BUT, not in this case because it sounds rich and has its own voice. I only watched it because of what Bilbo and lowdown said. I'm glad I did because for five minutes my life was greatly enriched.

Great technique is completely pointless unless you know what to do with it, and you have an aesthetic. I sense a little hint of competitiveness in the composition, but no more, it's really really beautiful! Congratulations.

[quote name='silddx' post='1310248' date='Jul 20 2011, 01:08 PM']Kevin, you have the magic touch. You have great tone in your mind and fingers and it all comes out with great beauty. Immensely expressive playing that really touched me. I can't stand this kind of solo bass normally, I think the timbre is all wrong and it sounds so much better on guitar, BUT, not in this case because it sounds rich and has its own voice. I only watched it because of what Bilbo and lowdown said. I'm glad I did because for five minutes my life was greatly enriched.

Great technique is completely pointless unless you know what to do with it, and you have an aesthetic. I sense a little hint of competitiveness in the composition, but no more, it's really really beautiful! Congratulations.[/quote]

Yeh - it's surprisingly non bass like. If I hadn't seen the video I think I would have struggled to be certain what it was played on. No offence to Kevin but this musical style does nothing for me but it was impressive playing.