Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

[quote name='silddx' post='1310248' date='Jul 20 2011, 01:08 PM']five minutes my life was greatly enriched.[/quote]

Good point about the five minutes
Its hard enough to watch a Band posting for five minutes let alone a Soloist piece.
Kevin manages that.

Garry

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' post='1309408' date='Jul 19 2011, 05:31 PM']Hi Folks,

Here's a solo vid I recorded a while ago:-
[/quote]

You listen to much Debussy or Ravel Kevin? I only ask because that wholetone work and dynamic play in that video had really strong overtones of both composers. Really very enjoyable to watch and as far as I'm aware, very unique as well.

[quote name='risingson' post='1312243' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:18 AM']You listen to much Debussy or Ravel Kevin? I only ask because that wholetone work and dynamic play in that video had really strong overtones of both composers. Really very enjoyable to watch and as far as I'm aware, very unique as well.[/quote]

Hi Risingson,

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Yeah, I have listened to Debussy and Ravel but I’ve only really checked out their famous works (Clair de Lune La fille aux cheveux de lin, Daphnis et Chloe, Bolero, La valse, etc), which I love, but I keep meaning to check those guys out in more depth.

Recently I’ve been listening to loads Olivier Messiaen's music. He’s an incredible composer, who I believe was heavily influenced by the music of Debussy.

I'm not very good (read: terrible) but I'd like to embarrass myself by joining in here :)

[url="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150306079698615&oid=108945349178695&comments"]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...95&comments[/url]

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' post='1312478' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:46 AM']Recently I’ve been listening to loads Olivier Messiaen's music. He’s an incredible composer, who I believe was heavily influenced by the music of Debussy.[/quote]

He was also a composer well into his Rhythms.
He liked to take the Rhythms certain birds made when tweeting away, and incorporate them into a piece.
Interesting character and i think he was a tutor to Stockhausen somewhere.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1312669' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:00 PM']He was also a composer well into his Rhythms.
He liked to take the Rhythms certain birds made when tweeting away, and incorporate them into a piece.
Interesting character and i think he was a tutor to Stockhausen somewhere.

Garry[/quote]

Yeah, the bird stuff is wild! There’s an interesting documentary about him called ‘La Liturgie de Cristal’, he talks a lot about his interest in birdsong and how he incorporates it in his music. There’s also some footage of him out in the forest transcribing birdsongs, straight down into a little manuscript book! He must have had a serious pair of ears!!

Edited by Kevin Glasgow

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' post='1312478' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:46 AM']Hi Risingson,

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Yeah, I have listened to Debussy and Ravel but I’ve only really checked out their famous works (Clair de Lune La fille aux cheveux de lin, Daphnis et Chloe, Bolero, La valse, etc), which I love, but I keep meaning to check those guys out in more depth.

Recently I’ve been listening to loads Olivier Messiaen's music. He’s an incredible composer, who I believe was heavily influenced by the music of Debussy.[/quote]

Debussy is one of my favourites and the video was really reminiscent of some of his piano works, but on a bass! Never thought I'd see anything like it. Very musical playing and I'll certainly keep an eye out for future videos from you.

[quote name='urb' post='1257142' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:56 AM']Something I posted earlier - hope you'll excuse the repost

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Awesome stuff Mike. Love the solo and your tone is great. I've seen that your old Thumb has come up for sale on the boards. I loved that bass, sounded awesome with the Schack preamp in it. Almost tempted to buy it myself!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kevin Glasgow' post='1309408' date='Jul 19 2011, 05:31 PM']Hi Folks,

Here's a solo vid I recorded a while ago:-

Cheers, Kev[/quote]

I'd like to + a 1 to the others who have commented on this.
When it comes to solo bass vids, for the first listen I'll usually get rid of the visual bit and only listen to the music. I find this helps me to objectively judge whether I enjoy the [i]music[/i] in its own right, without being influenced by dazzling technique. You passed with flying colours. Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1360885' date='Sep 3 2011, 12:36 PM']Does everyone here [b]have a camera running AND record into their computers at the same time[/b] or are the mics on cameras good enough these days?[/quote]

That'd be the way to do it.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' post='1361048' date='Sep 3 2011, 06:04 PM']this is me and the jamiroquai band I was in jamming in ireland last year.
thom (guitar) was going nuts with the shreddies :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HEEDlZxBo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HEEDlZxBo[/url]

L[/quote]

Sometimes Guitarist never know when to cool it! Nice drum, bass tho