Why become a member? ×

Lightweight gear moving (on its own) on stage

onehappybunny

Back in the old days there was no problem with gear moving on its own on stage, as it was blooming heavy and took two people to move most of it :rolleyes:

Now in the world of 11kg 500W cabs and 0.00001 oz 500W+ heads just wondered if your rig still stays rooted to the spot, or shuffles around on stage on its own

In my lightweight quest I'm looking at whether I should get a slightly heavier head (although sound comes first) to make the rig stay put and to prevent the chance of my instrument cable pulling the head off the top of the cab on the rare occasion that I wonder around the stage and I'm not rooted to the spot :)

I've been using a variety of micro amps over recent years plus cabs in the 40lb weight bracket and have had no problem with anything going walkies, thats been on all different types of stages.
I can see where your coming from though in that if you cab is too light and the stage is hollow or not level there could very well be movement.

[quote name='chris_b' post='601288' date='Sep 17 2009, 01:32 PM']Some light weight cab makers don't put feet on the bottom of their cabs, so they are resting on the plastic corners which don't give any grip. I put rubber feet, from Maplins, on mine. Now no more wandering.[/quote]

Yes, that's a good point, one I cottoned onto recently.

Alex

[quote name='51m0n' post='601442' date='Sep 17 2009, 04:52 PM']Rubber car footwell mat

Cheap as chips[/quote]

+1

I had my MB heads 'almost' bounce right off my cabs the first time I gigged them but luckily I'd rigged them the same as Alex suggested (lead looped through cab and amp handles) so I managed to avert a floor impact. As it happens they didn't stick around long enough for me to utilise a rubber mat. :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='601508' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:51 PM']Unless of course you trip over it like I've done with my Markbass 1x12 more than once :)[/quote]

Oh heck!

As yet ive not used my LM3 live much....but I always attach my lead through the cab handle where possible.

If I cant, I use a longer lead and keep an eye on it....I also put a bit of cut-off carpet between the cab and the amp head. If I put the rough rubbery underside so the amp head sits on that with its rubber feet, it helps.

No chance of movement with the Orange....even after the gig. I just cant be arsed to even think about moving it hahahah.

Ive had my lightweight rigs move about at gigs, its a pain but easily fixed. I even got a GK1001RBII to replace my MB SA450 as thats a lot heavier but it didnt help much. Its really only been cabs that dont have rubber feet although my 1212R has gone walkies a few times.
In the past its mainly been on shiny stages/floors so ive put a couple do rubber backed car mats under the front of my cab. That seemed to do the trick most of the time.
These days im more inclined to use two strips of Gramma foam and these of course serve two purposes.

Edited by dave_bass5