Why become a member? ×

Bass Horror

Darcy

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='64064' date='Sep 22 2007, 04:04 PM']There are worse ideas*.

Here's a 70 page tutorial on how to do it.

[url="http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/RelicTutorial.pdf"]http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/RelicTutorial.pdf[/url]

The key seems to be to take it all to bits and do them individually (don't loose any of them now, unless that's part of the look), and also remember you're aiming to make it look like it's been held and loved for many years, not like it's been abused for the same length of time.

D.
* ok, not many, but there are some.[/quote]
Look, stop giving her ideas will you, she's enough trouble as it is without any outside help. :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='64039' date='Sep 22 2007, 02:18 PM']From a little bit of research, I can confirm that this is Eric Lindsey Music Shop in Catford, London. Visit [url="http://www.elmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.elmusic.co.uk/[/url] and remember, don't go there.[/quote]

Nice one Thumbo.
Let's all spread the word so these cowboys don't get any business from anyone.

Apart from the fact they have no idea how to do a convicing relic job, I bet the customer was ignorant of the MIM routes under the pickguard being so different to the jaco bass and will get a bit of a nasty surprise with the swimming pool round the neck pickup. The discuss covering over the wiring route with gaffa - Yeah that's going to look so cool :) . An MIM jazz really needs to keep its frock on.

Why are the English so ready to sneer at good old-fashioned craftsmanship? They were doing that job entirely by hand ... in China or Vietnam they'd have cheated and used a Dremel Multi or a Black & Decker Sander.

Jolly good show, chaps, showing those foreign jonnies that we can still screw up properly.

:)

[quote name='Alun' post='64077' date='Sep 22 2007, 04:26 PM']That's a bit harsh isn't it?[/quote]

He spat on the bass, went at it with tools for 4 minutes and then boasted about how much of a mark-up he added.

Not to mention, he was stupid enough to make a video about it.

Assuming he's just some store lackey, I blame the owner for hiring him.

GUH.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='64096' date='Sep 22 2007, 04:40 PM']Apart from the fact they have no idea how to do a convicing relic job, I bet the customer was ignorant of the MIM routes under the pickguard being so different to the jaco bass and will get a bit of a nasty surprise with the swimming pool round the neck pickup. The discuss covering over the wiring route with gaffa - Yeah that's going to look so cool :) . An MIM jazz really needs to keep its frock on.[/quote]

Your right there! i posted a picture of mine on bassworld becuse a round hole i found when i removed the pickguard i had no idea what it was for. one suggestion was that was for smuggling a rolo into the country!

MB1. :)

WTF....The only tool in this particular shop, is not the Metal file.Fender do this sort of thing professionally and ive never been able to figure that ,but this is plain stupidity, and not road rash!.Rorys Fender strat....years on the road, thats why it looks like that, its battlescared.This is just blatant senseless Vandalism.

[quote name='Alun' post='64077' date='Sep 22 2007, 04:26 PM']That's a bit harsh isn't it?[/quote]

I think it's important to let people know that this is something they did and then boasted about on the internet. And I think this thread is probably enough.

Was I imagining things or was the customer actually in the shop there with them?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='63941' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:04 AM']i see a divorce coming on... yes i can imagine tinman now, sitting in the house on his own, only his basses and the computer for company :huh:[/quote]
Don't knock it, with the assistance of a glass of Pimms and lemonade in the summer, or mulled wine in the winter its a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='64137' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:15 PM']Don't knock it, with the assistance of a glass of Pimms and lemonade in the summer, or mulled wine in the winter its a great way to spend a sunday afternoon. :)[/quote]

never said it wasn't. You divorced then?

Haha also forgot to add, he'll be whispering to his shuker "i've waited so long for you, and now i have you it's amazing!" :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='64096' date='Sep 22 2007, 05:40 PM']Apart from the fact they have no idea how to do a convicing relic job, I bet the customer was ignorant of the MIM routes under the pickguard being so different to the jaco bass and will get a bit of a nasty surprise with the swimming pool round the neck pickup. The discuss covering over the wiring route with gaffa - Yeah that's going to look so cool :) . An MIM jazz really needs to keep its frock on.[/quote]

My 2004 MIA Jazz has the same routes. How disappointed was I when I first took the pickguard off.....

Have they affected the playability of the instrument? NO.
Have they wrecked a rare vintage instrument ? NO
Have they given the customer what he wanted ? YES.

Also, the impression is that the customer is present at the time, so why are we giving them such a hard time?
(I'm not one of them by the way, I just feel we're all being a bit harsh on them)

A natural/genuine relic instrument achieves this state through years of abuse. So which is the most authenic way to reproduce this effect artificially? A very skilled paint job and sand papering by a craftman, or some abuse with a file by some young lads in a shop? Who knows? The craftman job would be very careful and skilled, but totally lacking in any abuse that a naturally battered instrument will have suffered. The file and sandpaper job in the front of a shop lacks any finess, but does at least involve some real abuse, so is possibly closer to the spirit of a genuine relic!.

My own view is that either method is artificial, so why bother at all?

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='64676' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:02 PM']... does at least involve some real abuse, so is possibly closer to the spirit of a genuine relic!.

Clive[/quote]
I beg to differ. A "relic" treatment simulates the natural playing wear & tear an instrument picks up from constant playing not mindless abuse/vandalism. A bass attacked with a file is never going to look remotely like one that has picked up wear/mojo naturally.

If that is what the customer wanted then very well, but in my opinion that would make him a complete idiot.