Why become a member? ×

The cure for GAS thread

charic

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='63238' date='Sep 20 2007, 06:38 PM']I've frequently found when I have an attack of GAS, its not me wanting a new bass, but me wanting something new musically. If you're suffering, hire a room, invite a few friends over and have a jam. Creating something new is always more preferable to just spending more money.

Dan[/quote]
+1 :)

I was too shy to ask, but I learned it's Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Similar to the student scenario, a family scenario will curb overspending on hobbies.

But lack of funds doesn't [i]really[/i] cure GAS - it frustrates the sufferer.

There's so much I want, materialistically, but there are moments when I realise that the gear I own or use don't really matter as much as the fun I'm having when I use them. If the vibe of what I'm doing is good, I have no GAS; if the vibe is bad, I have GAS.

Like lifting my two heavy separate combos has me permanently GASing for a new single lightweight amp. Basswise, I don't play well enough to really apreciate the difference between a high-end bass and my €300 BB605. In fact, I've come to realise that I like that more than pretty much every other bass I've tried in the last few years. So no bass GAS for me, just amp GAS.

In my humble, ultimately there is really only one cure for GAS:

Buy what you're GASing for - scratch the itch.

If you don't, the itch may not go away. Other itches and other "stuff" will push the itch further out of your consciousness, but if it's a [i]real[/i] itch, unless it's scratched it'll always be there.

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='mr pablo' post='63379' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:15 PM']This is my cure for G.A.S and I'll have it by the end of october :huh:
Sorry if this causes anyone else to G.A.S terribly :huh:

[attachment=2424:whole1_copy.jpg][/quote]
Those RD Artists are bee-yewtiful, I so nearly bought one but they weigh a ton. Has it still got the Moog electronics?

Like was said recently in another thread - basically there’s no cure for GAS; the symptoms can merely be alleviated by intensive gigging / jamming. Makes you appreciate what you got, and you’re too busy / knackered to go “cold turkey”.
Let’s face it, if you’re on this forum then you’re more obsessed about all things bass than is normal for a well-balanced human being. Accept it, and enjoy it. :)

I've found that buying is an awful lot easier than selling! :) It also helps to plan what you need and what you want so at least you keep a lid on impulse buying.

I'm never going to realistically use more than three basses on stage. I can justify 4, or maybe now 5, in terms of my working instruments. All the rest are toys in a way.

It doesn't stop the gas but its easier to rationalise the next purchase. Aside from the Shuker 6, the only bass I could probably justify is a black Celinder Update P... ...or maybe I'd get Jon Shuker to make versions of both...

...GAH! It doesn't end!!

I suppose there are different categories of GAS going from benign and almost justifiable at one extreme and completely bonkers at the other extreme.

I got a '77 Fender Jazz off ebay for just over £600 last year. It turned out the seller was selling it no behalf of a family friend who'd gone nuts with GAS and bankrupted the family with his acquisitions. I started to feel bad about it but the seller just said "look, everyone's got to get a bargain once in a while".

There's no real cure for GAS but the best thing you can do is to FART (find a real treasure) as this will at least keep you satisfied for a while.

It doesn't matter how much you love your current bass(es), there will always be something that catches your eye/ear which you weren't prepared for. When I got my DJ5 last year it was pretty much everything I had been searching for in a bass and kept me on the straight and narrow for a while, but I missed the searching for goodies and basses would appear which turned my head and even though I can't imagine I'll stray far from that DJ5, I'm now looking to see if something will better it.