Why become a member? ×

Back-up Bass ?

Marcus

Just thinking ?

Ok so it's nice to go out gigging with a couple of basses...... different songs, may need different sounds etc....

But......When was the last time you actually NEEDED a back-up bass ?

or more to the point when was the last time you HAD to use another bass due to a failure or string breaking !

How the Hell do you break a bass string ?

I've never done it in 22 Years !

Mark

I've bust a string on stage four or five times in the last two years. That over-indulgent spare bass ALWAYS seems worthwhile when your E string collapses half a song in.

It's probably my shoddy technique mind you, I play fingestyle right down low by the bridge, and eventually my E just unwinds itself across the saddle!

I rock too hard for E strings :)

My biggest problem is not bringing a back up bass. I have never needed it but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

We just dont have room for all the gear and 2 basses in the 3 cars we travel to gigs in. I will regret it one day though. I have only broken one string in 10 years of playing but I dont play any metal. That might help to break them, jumping about and all haha!

I tend to take a 4 and a 5 string with me as I prefer playing 4 strings on a few of the rockier numbers where I use a pick. I could probably get by with just a 5 but I like using both of them :)

EDIT: Just read the thread again. The only time I've had to use a backup due to failure etc was when I forgot to change the battery on my Stingray and the pick was farting and distorting all over the place.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

MB1. :)

Saw a mate of mine actually break two bass strings in the context of one song.First the G went,and he bravely decided, to soldier on regardless,then another string went and even i could not believe what i was witnessing.He hadnt brought a spare bass,but had the all important spare set of strings!.Mr Dave Smiley take a bow!.

[quote name='john_the_bass' date='Sep 20 2007, 03:08 PM' post='63131']
I used to break a string about once a month (4 or 5 gigs a month at the time) but don't seem to have broken one since before christmas.
I switched between my ray and my precision at our last but one gig for a bit of variation.

MB1. :)

How is Ray??

Ever since one of my first first gigs where I broke a string on the opening number and had to use the support bands horrible violin bass copy strung with super dead flat wounds, I have taken a spare bass with me to every gig. Since then I have never need to use it, but it's always there ready should it be required. In rehearsal at one time or another I have managed to break every single string including low B on a 5-string. These days I play both fretted and fretless basses in my current band and at a push I could use either one to do the songs I would normally do on the other. However I still take a spare fretted bass to gigs.

I never ever bother taking a back up bass to a gig, I used to but it's too much effort - instead I take a spare set of strings (usually old ones so that if I do break a string they don't sound to bright next to the others) It only takes like a minute to whack a string on really quickly.

If you are breaking strings regularly you should look at the reason why, It could be your bridge, poorly made strings or that you are just playing to aggresively.

Bass strings really shouldn't break very often. I know players that only do a restring once every 18 months or so because they like the sound of really dead strings.

The only time I've ever broken a string was about 5 years ago, it was my first gig with some rock band I was playing with, it was a showcase somwhere in London, I broke the E string, which was tuned down to D flat! I can only assume it because I was a little over excited and hamering the string, or that I was constantly changing the tuning of it.

I think the reason we take a spare is to show off the fact that we own more than one, maybe? I can understand it if you switch between fretless and fretted.

I hope I haven't cursed myself now!

My worst string breaking experience was three in one set (luckily on a six string) a few years ago - first the G, then the A and finally the C. I was very bored in that band as we'd be playing the same set for ages so decided to just play the stuff on the remaining strings :) s,

I usually take a back up bass ( if only the Ashbory) but don't often need it. For some gigs I may have a fretless anyway so that becomes the back up if my fretted dies.

Cheers
Alun

I was just considering this fact for myself, then i thought "why do i even want a new bass i love the one i have" then i thought " i know lets upgrade the hell out of the bass i have and make sure i can keep the sound i already have while im at it" sound is the most important thing and i would rather have one bass that could kick out several sounds i liked than several basses good at kicking out one sound each :)

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='63245' date='Sep 20 2007, 06:43 PM']"plaAYING TOO AGGRESSIVELY"

well, that would be a matter of opinion - maybe if you are not breaking them, it means you (and me currently) are playing like a wuss! :)[/quote]
Hmmm I dunno - I find I get a much bigger and Bassier sound when I don't dig in as much - if you play to aggresivley you get loads of attack but it's all top end and sustains a lot less.

aahh, so you take as much exception to the inference that you might play like a "wuss" as others might take to the suggestion that they play "too aggressively".
I don't much care how anyone chooses to play, but it surprizes me when others decide what might be too aggressive or too wussy for someone else.

i was setting up (after a night out out) at church, the aucoustic guitar player was having trouble tuning so asked me to wait to tune, i had one of those cheap nasty electronic tuners so muted the amp and used that to tune, 3 of the stings were ok but in my tired state i missed the A string on the tuner and ended up trying to tune it to the A the octave up, not thinking untill it went ping. they were heavy gauge too! luckly i had an old set with me spare