Why become a member? ×

'50s Rock n' Roll

The Funk

Ace Chuck berry clip. The bemused looks on the faces of the band is fantastic!

Chuck remains for me the best of the rock&roll pioneers. Been fortunate to see him half a dozen times, and he's varied from being amazing to indifferent but always somehow enjoyable.
Met him (briefly)once too.

Can be notoriously difficult, as anyone who's seen the footage of him rehearsing with Keith Richard etc in the film 'Hail Hail Rock&Roll'.
Often let down by using under-rehearsed pick up bands (what I would have given to play for him though!) As a songwriter unequalled in my view,and a direct inspiration for so many legendary band/performers/writers.

Still gigging at 82 years old. Go Chuck go!

[quote name='chris_b' post='574384' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:21 PM']... Little Richard. In my opinion, he was the best.[/quote]

Wrong, Buddy Holly was the best...closely followed by Charlie Feathers. Yes, i do like Rock n' Roll...like some jump and rockabilly/psychobilly too.

Love a bit of 50's Rock 'n' Roll myself. Mrs Retroman is a huge fan of the stuff! :rolleyes:

Love Link Wray, Little Richard, early Elvis stuff, etc.

It's great fun to dig my ancient vintage Gibson EB2 out, and jam along to some classic tracks :lol:

I have a Link Wray DVD, think it was released by Cherry Red, and I love it. I think the guy was in his 70's when it was filmed, and you could see he was having so much fun, which to me is the spirit of 50's Rock 'n' Roll :)

[quote name='casapete' post='574420' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:48 PM']Ace Chuck berry clip. The bemused looks on the faces of the band is fantastic!

Chuck remains for me the best of the rock&roll pioneers. Been fortunate to see him half a dozen times, and he's varied from being amazing to indifferent but always somehow enjoyable.
Met him (briefly)once too.

Can be notoriously difficult, as anyone who's seen the footage of him rehearsing with Keith Richard etc in the film 'Hail Hail Rock&Roll'.
Often let down by using under-rehearsed pick up bands (what I would have given to play for him though!) As a songwriter unequalled in my view,and a direct inspiration for so many legendary band/performers/writers.

Still gigging at 82 years old. Go Chuck go![/quote]
Arguably rock's first lead guitarist too - fantastic, witty songwriter & a living legend. An ancient Chuck Berry hits compliation was one of my favourite albums as a kid.

Jon.

[quote name='casapete' post='574420' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:48 PM']....notoriously difficult, as anyone who's seen the footage of him rehearsing with Keith Richard etc in the film 'Hail Hail Rock&Roll'.
Often let down by using under-rehearsed pick up bands....[/quote]
I'm afraid Chuck was never let down by the musicians. He always let them down! He usually never met them before they went on stage and he never spoke to them, so they didn't know what song came next or the key. He just started playing and they had to join in!

He usually played in keys like Eb and Bb so that caught a lot of guys out!

Keith Richard made Chuck rehearse which is why he was so put out. Good one Keith!

I meant to imply that he did n't do himself any favours by not communicating at all with the pickup bands, who were often really good session pros-think I remember seeing Chuck being backed by some of the Average White Band once.

Seem to remember the reason a lot of the songs were in guitar un-friendly keys was because in the early days with Johnnie Johnson's band there was often a horn section hence keys in their favour I guess.

Unfortunately even after Keith got Chuck to rehearse, on the night of the gig Chuck still did some of it his way - shame as Keith was just trying to get Chuck the best backup band he'd had! Love the movie/music though.

You can sir! I think that Link Wray is a good example of the guy that you have probably heard some of his songs, but not heard of him! :)

"Rumble" is a killer track. Been featured in plenty of films. Seem to remember it got featured in "Independance Day". Didn't Link Wray's "Ace Of Spades" make it onto "Pulp Fiction" as well?

Really sad that he is no longer with us :rolleyes:

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='575305' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:24 AM']why do all rock-a-billy songs start off with the word..... WEEEEeellllll.... ??[/quote]

Not sure why they all did,
But i know why one did.. :rolleyes:

to indicate the start of impromptu foot races. [ or might have been horse races - who knows]

WEEEEeellllll...............[echo and Reverb].........[echo and reverb].......[and more]....[and more more more]..............
One for the money,
Two for the show,
Three to get ready
And four to go.

I read that somewhere :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown