Why become a member? ×

'50s Rock n' Roll

The Funk

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='575730' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:21 PM']Can I make a case for Link Wray?

Especially 'Rumble'[/quote]

Excellent shout, my favourite track by him is Jack The Ripper...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8wO1EplWww&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8wO1EplWww...feature=related[/url]

It may not be 50s, but that's where their hearts are. Who am I talking about? The Stray Cats of course. Brian Setzer, one of my favourite guitarists with a keen eye for mega slap players, Lee Rocker and Mark Winchester in particular.

Eddie Cochran's probably one of the most underrated of the 50's Rockers. One of my first heroes!

I remember hearing him for the first time on one of those Ronco compilations in the mid 70s - was gutted when I found out he'd been dead for 15 years. Excellent songwriter & a great guitar player (probably one of the first players of that era who could really play the Blues).

IMO if he had survived that car crash in Wiltshire, he could have given Elvis a run for his money - either that, or he would have been a fantastic Country player.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

There is some great wild stuff in the vaults there. I like ones with a slightly unhinged element about them.. maybe a precursor to psychobilly.

Love Me : The Phantom - somethings gone wrong in that guy's head!!

Surfin' Bird : Trashmen - yeah a bit cliched now but when it came out?? Wow!

Larry Williams (mentioned above) has some great tunes. I forget the title but something about "Hocus pocus dynamo... makin' voodoo for you.."