Why become a member? ×

Hipshot D-tuner

leonshelley01

I'm toying with the idea of adding one to my Jazz as we're thinking of covering a couple of songs that require drop tunings. I like the idea of being able to use my main bass for this so the obvious answer is the Hipshot D-tuner.

I have some misgivings though. Do they stay accurately in tune for both E and D if switched a few times in a set and does the E string become very slack when dropped to the D? What's your experience with them?

I'm happy with mine, although on my parts bass it went on wonky and clashes with the other tuner. Need to lube your nut and flick it back and forth a bunch to get the tuning right first, then you are good to go. I did hear is disagrees with skinny necks as the tension change upsets the other strings, but not an issue on my club necks.

If you do a search I think you will find another thread a while back with a similar query, and the responses were a tad Marmite.

That said I added one to my Wal 20+ years ago, it's still going strong and I love it.

Probably said this last time but you do need to make sure you follow the instructions when restringing (tune a half tone flat and then drop and return the lever) but really it comes down to properly stretching the string.

I added a graphite nut sometime after with a view to making the return easier, but I am not sure it made a huge difference.

I [i]know[/i] I said this last time but once you get used to it it's great for confusing people watching the bassplayer (not many of those about, just other bassplayers right!?) by surreptitiously flicking down and back up with your thumb just for short sections of a song when you need the low D.

Obviously you need to get used to the sting being out by the drop and which changes your positions, but that very soon becomes second nature.

The E string does not become desperately slack when dropping a tone to D, and for me in recent years that was from tuning down a semitone as standard already. Further it might. I have used standard Elixirs medium 45-105 for years with it.

Also they are direct replacements for your original so do not require any messing with the bass and are really easy to fit, so even I could manage it!!

I've had one on my Aria SB-Elite since 1988. The level wore out in the late 90s and Hipshot sent me a replacement lever for free.
They're incredibly useful. I'm planning to get another to put on my Dean.
I've never really noticed a change in tension, but I do use a 110 E.

Edited by bartelby

I use one on my Hack PRS and it does what its say on the tin.

You can either set the E string slightly flat and it will pop into D and back, or set it spot on in E and it will go to D but require a nudge to go back to E when you go back up. Its no biggy really once you are used to it. Its a small thing to do for the comfort of playing the same bass.

Use a larger guage of string to get the best out of the Low D, I went from 100 to 105 and it sounds like Gods throat rumbling now.....

:)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='571230' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:43 AM']I'm happy with mine, although on my parts bass it went on wonky and clashes with the other tuner. Need to lube your nut and flick it back and forth a bunch to get the tuning right first, then you are good to go. I did hear is disagrees with skinny necks as the tension change upsets the other strings, but not an issue on my club necks.[/quote]

+1

Have one on my MIJ '75 Jazz reissue and my G&L SB-2, and used to have one on my custom Precision, and they work like a charm on all of them. I use it with a .045-.105 set on the Jazz, and with a .045-.100 set on the SB-2, and have no issues at all on the Jazz but the G&L requires some slight tuning adjustments once in a while after use of the D-tuner. It needs a setup anyway though because I came from .045-.105 on that bass without adjusting the neck accordingly.

Fitted and set up properly - not a hard thing to do - they work fine. I put one on my Shuker , E to D and back prob free.

The issue for me is - if you're a 'pattern' player like me - suddenly you're 2 steps out , and that takes a fair bit of getting your head around. I suppose if you're learning something new it's less of a problem - drop to D and learn the line - but I find it hard to just chuck my stock runs in willy nilly because it's out of step. I sing a fair bit and I need to have my finger memory doing the bass line while I concentrate on the vocal - so it's hard for me.

Just another one to add to the positive vibe. Had one on my ESP Jazz since 1990 and used it a lot in one band. Also have one on my Lakland Darryl Jones and will get one for any future basses. Great bit of kit and does a great job. Just because you have one, does not mean you need to use it but really handy if you do.

Got one on my four string StingRay. Better than not having one. A bit fiddly and I find the tendency for the E to go sharp a lot more irritating than the instructions suggest. You need to leave a bit extra time to get it set up and check it but once it is it does what it says on the tin.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I had one installed for a short while but found the shifted tuning too confusing. It was basically a case of 'aim two frets higher than normal on the bottom string' whenever it was in dropped mode. Maybe it was a harder for me as I'm used to the drop-D on a Kubicki Factor where everything stays the same. A much better system in my opinion!

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='572742' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:37 AM']I had one installed for a short while but found the shifted tuning too confusing. It was basically a case of 'aim two frets higher than normal on the bottom string' whenever it was in dropped mode. Maybe it was a harder for me as I'm used to the drop-D on a Kubicki Factor where everything stays the same. A much better system in my opinion![/quote]

Drop D tuning opens up a whole load of possibilities notewise - I find it very useful for writing heavier riffs. That said I have been switchin between drop d and standard tuning ever since I started playing guitar and bass.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='572742' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:37 AM']Maybe it was a harder for me as I'm used to the drop-D on a Kubicki Factor where everything stays the same. A much better system in my opinion![/quote]
But not quite so easy to retrofit... :)

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='572742' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:37 AM']I had one installed for a short while but found the shifted tuning too confusing. It was basically a case of 'aim two frets higher than normal on the bottom string' whenever it was in dropped mode. Maybe it was a harder for me as I'm used to the drop-D on a Kubicki Factor where everything stays the same. A much better system in my opinion![/quote]

Pretty much was I was saying - and I agree the Kubicki system solves the problem , always fancied one. As someone said though you can't part with 50 brick and install that system on just about any bass you fancy.

I suppose my issue with the hipshot opens up the 5 string debate or playing a 4 string in drop d tuning.

Hipshots work very well BUT are they the answer to your problems?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='572779' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:26 PM']Pretty much was I was saying - and I agree the Kubicki system solves the problem , always fancied one. As someone said though you can't part with 50 brick and install that system on just about any bass you fancy.

I suppose my issue with the hipshot opens up the 5 string debate or playing a 4 string in drop d tuning.

Hipshots work very well BUT are they the answer to your problems?[/quote]

Yes - if your problem is switching from E tuning to drop D on one bass with the minimal amount of fuss.

One of my bands play almost exclusively in drop C# with a few tunes nipped back up to Eb tuning. In the past I've found bass extenders very convenient but I've just noticed that I don't use any extenders any more. I had planned on putting one on my 'ray but it is so easy to tune in a blink of an eye that I haven't bothered and the same goes for my custom jazz that I use more for that band.

Conclusion, extenders are very useful especially for basses that are hard to drop tune manually quickly.

note : if you don't look after them and keep them lubricated (I use Vaseline) then the lever / plate area can wear out and your tuning will be inconsistent.