Why become a member? ×

Hipshot D-tuner

leonshelley01

I tried one for dropping E to low B on my Warwick Streamer. The problem with that was the small headstock and large tuning drop meant that the tuning keys collided. I repositioned the keys and it worked surprisingly well but not well enough for me to stick with. I'm sure if you were doing something more normal like dropping two semitones instead of five it'll do a stellar job.

Alex

I believe the lower tension strings you use, the less the D-tuner has to move to drop the note by a given amount - I was using a .110 E back then so to drop to B was quite demanding. I know Matt Garrison has a D-tuner on his bass for E->B but he's playing 33" scale and probably using a .100 E.

Alex

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='571457' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:14 AM']The issue for me is - if you're a 'pattern' player like me - suddenly you're 2 steps out , and that takes a fair bit of getting your head around. I suppose if you're learning something new it's less of a problem - drop to D and learn the line - but I find it hard to just chuck my stock runs in willy nilly because it's out of step. I sing a fair bit and I need to have my finger memory doing the bass line while I concentrate on the vocal - so it's hard for me.[/quote]
Sort of why my Wal is semi retired from gigging. I had learnt various songs flicking down & back up, so the night I got the 5 & used that instead was [i]interesting[/i] to say the least as all those songs learnt with the different position were out and caused some confusion.

That said I still love the Hipshot for the extra it provides, and was quite happy flicking down & back up through songs. The shiift just gives you a different set of fills to play with.

As for dropping to B that just sounds bonkers to me, but hey, horses for courses. I should have thought with a drop like that the E would have been flopping like a witch's ***