Why become a member? ×

Decent home practice amp...

Jamesemt

I'm getting a bit sick of my bass running through a bass trainer and a hifi - I think I'm going to get a decent home practice amp.

I've got a rack setup for rehearsals/gigs which consists of a Bass Pod XT Pro and 800 watt power amp going into 2 2x10 Eden Nemesis cabs. I can't be arsed to connect all this gear up to play at home, plus I could do with a smaller setup (not small, just smaller).

What's the best sounding home practice amp this side of £400 without resorting to any effects? Size isn't really a factor and I don't play overly loud at home (got two young kids to think about).

Despite what my main setup sounds like, I much prefer something warm and punchy (prefer 15s - the Edens are a compromise to save my back as they are Neo cabs).

FWIW I'll be playing pop/rock - I'm just doing my homework before forming a Bon Jovi tribute...

Any ideas?

[quote name='Stewart' post='567237' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:53 PM']Gallien Krueger MB150s are very good.
You could just get the head and use one of your 2x10s or go for the combo (possibly a bit over budget).[/quote]

Cheers for that - bloody hell they are expensive!! I've got a spare 2x10 Peavey Cab in the shed which I could use...

Any other ideas?

[quote name='phatbass787' post='567454' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:03 PM']Don't think you could go wrong with an Ashdown Electric Blue, 180 watts into a 15 inch driver and only £249...

[url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_EB_15-180_EVO_II_Combo/ASH-EB15180"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_EB...mbo/ASH-EB15180[/url][/quote]

Sorry, should have mentioned that after my Superfly died I no longer trust Ashdown gear.

What about the Ampeg B100R? The Line 6 110 is a possibility...

If I'm not setting up my SA450 with one of my Aguilar GS112 cabs I tend to just plug into my Trace Elliot Boxer 15 which I picked up from Ebay for about a tenner! Sounds great, plenty of warmth and bottom end - until I go through the aforementioned rig and hear how I really should be sounding.

I also used to have an SWR Workingmans 12 which was great for home practice but also good enough for a lot of small to medium sized practices and gigs.

I always liked the sound of Hartkes little combos. I struggled to get the same sound out of their bigger rigs but the Kickbacks and A series are seriously good for the money. The A70 and A100 can be had for around £100 second hand.

My housemate is selling his Kickback15 (120w, 15" aluminium speaker) for £250. It's like new as he hardly played it, it's one of the USA made ones too which were over £500. It's bigger and heavier than my little A70 though, maybe a bit overkill for quiet practice

I'll second the Line6 Studio 110. Great wee amp. Not a very loud 75 watts, but what do you really expect from a 12" cube with 1 10" speaker! I gig with mine DI'd into the band PA too.

I was going to suggest Ashdown as well - the original ABMs can be had in combo form quite cheaply s/h. The 1x10 200 watt (although it's really 300 watts) combo is fantastic and from the era when Ashdown were more reliable! Had mine a long time now and it's never coughed once.

Markbass Minimark and Micromark are worth a look along with the Phil Jones stuff for a clean sounding high quality practice rig. Since they are pretty clean and flat sounding they will be a good replacement for the power amp setup if you will still be using your POD for practice. You could even step up to the CMD121P for around £500 used which will be loud enough for gigs yet still very small and perfect for home use - ideal if your main rig blows up or you can't be arsed carting it to a gig.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='567786' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:22 AM']I'll second the Line6 Studio 110. Great wee amp. Not a very loud 75 watts, but what do you really expect from a 12" cube with 1 10" speaker! I gig with mine DI'd into the band PA too.[/quote]

I'll third the Line6 Studio 110. It's a great little amp which you can just plug and play once you've set the amp models to your liking. I've used mine as backline DI'd into the PA a couple of times and it does surprisingly well (I'd use it as a backup). Does a great Ampeg impression.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='567968' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:07 PM']If it's just for home practice - get something cheap and put the rest of the money towards your gigging stuff.[/quote]

Nah mate, quite happy with my gigging gear and I'm having a custom Shuker built - as well as buying a 79 p special at the end of the month. Besides, I spend far longer playing at home than I do gigging

[quote name='Rowbee' post='567506' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:08 AM']......... I tend to just plug into my Trace Elliot Boxer 15 which I picked up from Ebay for about a tenner! Sounds great, plenty of warmth and bottom end - until I go through the aforementioned rig and hear how I really should be sounding.[/quote]

I've had a Trace Boxer 15 from new (can't remember the year I got it as it was so long ago!) and it's still sounding as good as ever. Plenty loud enough for the small room which I play in. I gave it a haircut the other week as the furry covering was looking a bit tired. Much smarter now.

I also have a Laney 30w amp which my wife found for me at a car boot sale. She managed to haggle the price down to £6 :) All it needed was a clean and it sounds pretty good as well, perfect for when anyone comes round for lessons or a jam.

Edited by 7string