Why become a member? ×

Decent home practice amp...

Jamesemt

I don't actually see, why you should spend 400 quid on a practice amp..

As others have mentioned before, a decent sounding small amp goes for about 100 quid or so.

You've also stated, that you got kids, so, you can't go loud - I don't think, there's any need for you to go for somethin' bigger and more expensive than 30w amp or so, unless you're after a very boutique box!

And, if you're so 'dedicated' to spend your money, there are always nice thingies, that could 'improve' your practice - like loopers, drum machines and stuff - a [i]musthave [/i]for every bassist, IMO :)

Anyway, it's yours money, not mine :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Faith.

[quote name='7string' post='573712' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:42 AM']I also have a Laney 30w amp which my wife found for me at a car boot sale. She managed to haggle the price down to £6 :) All it needed was a clean and it sounds pretty good as well, perfect for when anyone comes round for lessons or a jam.[/quote]

Matey, 6 quid - that's a steal!

I've paid about 80 quid for the damn thing..

I'm calling the police :rolleyes:

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='567802' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:38 AM']Hartke Hydrive combo?[/quote]

+1 for the Hartke Hydrive.

My 115C sounds great at home and is just about OK for small gigs.

Well worth the money at the moment because you can pick then up for £400 on ebay.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='567917' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:17 PM']The GKMB150s are good and second hand one would come in well under £400. They have the advantage of being very small, self contained and, consequently, very portable. For practice purposes, one of these would be more than adequate.[/quote]
And there was a mint one for sale here just about in your budget - Gareth Hughes if my memory serves me correctly. Haven't seen mention for a week or so, so it may have gone.

Warwick Take 12. 80 watts of 12 inch goodness. I have one, it's lovely. Small enough to carry around. Big enough to fill a small room. Nice tone.

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Warwick/Take+12+112+Combo/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+112+Combo/10/1[/url]

Crate Powerblock. Class 'D' (I think).

75W into 4 Ohms stereo.
150W into 8 Ohm bridged.

Has Speaker sim for headphones.

Actually intended for guitar, so front end breaks up a bit early for bass (IMO) so that's why I go in through the Line In via the MXR-80+ - much more headroom.

Those are now discontinued - If I recall they were £299.99 when they came out.

SoundControl sold them off at £50 when the were discontinued & I couldn't live without one at that price.

There was a bass version on the books but it was never produced.

I reckon Crate should re-jig them & bring out the bass version.

Geoff.