Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you own.

metalmaniac

Just done a recount and despite having parted with (most of) the ones I intended to part with, it looks like the final total is approximately "all of them".

This compulsive behaviour is actually starting to cause me stress & upset - and as a result I feel I'm slipping into a cycle of "Comfort GAS". I'll have to buy another bass to cheer myself up...

:)

J

[quote name='Bassassin' post='348211' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:56 PM']Just done a recount and despite having parted with (most of) the ones I intended to part with, it looks like the final total is approximately "all of them".

This compulsive behaviour is actually starting to cause me stress & upset - and as a result I feel I'm slipping into a cycle of "Comfort GAS". I'll have to buy another bass to cheer myself up...

:)

J[/quote]

You sir are the absolute embodiment of this forum.

You are like a version of me with more money or a more understanding wife. Possibly both.

Paul.

[quote name='paul h' post='348212' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:59 PM']You sir are the absolute embodiment of this forum.

You are like a version of me with more money or a more understanding wife. Possibly both.

Paul.[/quote]

I suspect a version of you with 1) significantly less money but a taste for cheap & idiosyncratic (ie repulsive to anyone with standards) crap that would be more at home burning in a skip, and 2) a partner who sings in my band & therefore allows me my little foibles. :)

As for embodying this forum - I have to say right now I have never owned a Fender, MusicMan, Warwick, Shuker, Lakland, WAL, Status, Goodfellow, G&L, Pedulla or even a bloody SX - so I'm amazed they even let me come on here! :ph34r:

J.

I'm feeling utterly under-equipped with my 5 - and my girlfriend thinks I have too many :s

[i]Sandberg California JM4[/i]: My main squeeze, just put flats on and loving it!
[i]MM Stingray 4[/i]: The first 'proper' bass I got. It's been neglected lately, but I'll never part with it.
[i]Peavey T-40[/i]: Doesn't really get a look in at the moment, I'd trade it for something interesting if anyone fancies it...
[i]Squier P Special[/i]: My first ever bass, currently rebuilding with Badass and Wizards
[i]'Extreme' Jazz copy[/i]: Won in the Basschat raffle - the neck is amazingly nice, so I'm modding it up at the mo

There's my 6-stringers too (Ibanez Artist, Epiphone LP, Ibanez acoustic), but they don't count, of course!

It's nuts and I have just realised recently....
I am actually up to six at the minute (5 jazz and 1 Epi EB-3)

But I really need to slim down to 3 or even 2 if the MIA Jazz goes.
I can manage with the MIM Jazz (Midnight wine and fitted with a black scratchplate I made by hand) fitted with USA pickups, plus my MIJ Squire Jazz fitted witha '62 reissue CIJ Jazz neck and reissue pickups.

And this is not about needing the money. Having that many is just....insane.

Time for a recount of mine:
[list]
[*]'81 Cherry Sunburst Precision
[*]Blue Fender Ashbory
[*]Black Fender Ashbory
[*]'86 Hohner B2A Cricket Bat
[*]Fretless 'bitsa' Precision
[*]MIJ '62 reissue Fender precision
[*]Fender Highway 1 Jazz
[*]Alpine white Epiphone thunderbird
[*]Danelectro Longhorn
[*]CIJ Fender Mustang
[*]Squier Vista Musicmaster
[*]'71 Fender Musicmaster
[*]Peavey Millennium AC BXP 5 string
[*]Violet-burst Daisy Rock Elite
[*]NS-Design CR-5M upright
[*]Stentor student double bass
[*]a one string electric upright thing
[/list]
brings me up to 17

plus I keep my daughter's three basses strung & set up for her.
[list]
[*]Daisy Rock Heartbreaker
[*]'71 Fender Musicmaster
[*]Another Violet-burst Daisy Rock Elite
[/list]

5 - which is one too many by my self made rules - all fretted 4's

73 Precision - semi retired 'precious'

54P Reish - so I could finally retire the above - my current fave

Status Series 3000 - useful workhorse I wouldn't be without

Shuker Bolt-On Custom - posh lightweight Stingray that's pretty much out of work at the mo because of 2 and 3

Epiphone Explorer - hated piece of crap that looks right in the ZZ trib

I'd like to have just 4 - all doing jobs for me (inc the retired P)
The EpiEx could go tomorrow for all I care but stays as long as the ZZ thing carries on. I'd really like a 70's sunburst fretless P , but that would mean dumping one of the others. Incredibly the only one I could consider would be the Shuker - which shocks me that I even think it.

Not sure why I never answered this before :)

I have 4, sort of:

[b]1. Status Retroactive J[/b], yum yum. Only one other bass has been so playable and so "me", that was the Groove 5 I sold a few months back to SFN, now with Trace_n_Bass I believe??
[b]2. Status Groove fretless[/b], yum yum. Oh wait, this is equally as playable as the Retroactive, just I'm not as good without frets :huh:
[b]3. Vester Jazz[/b] copy, my first bass so sentimental reasons won't let me sell it, plus it's prob worth about 50p. Plays and sounds nice though, for a cheapy.
[b]4. Galveston[/b] electro-acoustic [b]firewood[/b]

[list=1]
[*][b]Shuker 5[/b]
[*][b]Status S1 5[/b]
[*][b]Wal Pro IIE[/b]
[*][b]Yamaha RBX765 [/b]de-fretted
[*][b]Ibanez BTB406[/b] beaten up piece o' crap 6-string
[*][b]SX Jazzish[/b] project, work-in-progress
[*][b]Overwater 'SkoolBase'[/b] long term restoration/resuscitation project -- another WiP
[*][b]'64 Hofner Artist[/b] -- first bass I ever had, so kept for sentimental reasons
[/list]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='348281' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:06 AM']I suspect a version of you with 1) significantly less money but a taste for cheap & idiosyncratic (ie repulsive to anyone with standards) crap that would be more at home burning in a skip, and 2) a partner who sings in my band & therefore allows me my little foibles. :)

As for embodying this forum - I have to say right now I have never owned a Fender, MusicMan, Warwick, Shuker, Lakland, WAL, Status, Goodfellow, G&L, Pedulla or even a bloody SX - so I'm amazed they even let me come on here! :ph34r:

J.[/quote]

Same as you, I've not spent more than £200 on any bass in current collection, cheapest was about 50.

In previous times have had Fenders, Stingray & Rickenbacker on long-term loan, but am more than happy with what I've got now.
Though, I do fancy getting a Bach or SX perhaps oneday.