Why become a member? ×

My Band's photoshoot

JackLondon

Hi Guys,

We had a photoshoot some time ago with a brilliant photographer and he has sent us a couple of pics, what do you think ? What do the pics say to you when you look at them and most importantly what kind of music you'd think we play ? All opinions more than welcome.

Cheers
Jack

[attachment=28552:1.jpg]
[attachment=28551:2.jpg]
[attachment=28553:3.jpg]
[attachment=28554:4.jpg]

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='536322' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:54 AM']I'm really not a fan of band photos which involve people holding their instruments!

They are good quality though, don't seem to put across any genre, guitarist looks a bit of a hippy with that weird cardigan thing on, haha.[/quote]

+1 :rolleyes:

I hate that instrument thing too :)

They are good quality, but I can't tell anything much about the band from them.

I will get roundly flamed for this probably, but good marketing is as important as the music and you are selling a lifestyle, not just songs. You all look completely different stylistically and and there is little coherence or message.

It's really hard to get right, and the photographer really needs to know what you are aiming for, and know the market and audience you are after.

Sorry dude, probably not what you wanted to hear.

[quote name='silddx' post='536335' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:14 PM']+1 :rolleyes:

I hate that instrument thing too :)

I will get roundly flamed for this probably, but good marketing is as important as the music and you are selling a lifestyle, not just songs. You all look completely different stylistically and and there is little coherence or message.

It's really hard to get right, and the photographer really needs to know what you are aiming for, and know the market and audience you are after.

Sorry dude, probably not what you wanted to hear.[/quote]
I kinda have to agree... sorry. Looking at the pics I have no idea where yoiu're 'at'. Not a bad thing in itself I suppose, but... you all just look like you need to relax a bit.

[quote name='silddx' post='536335' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:14 PM']+1 :lol:

I hate that instrument thing too :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, probably not what you wanted to hear.[/quote]

Don't worry, there are 2 things that make it simple : the photoshoot was free because we have won it in a competition and the whole arrangement is according to our band leader and the person has tendencies to do things without even consulting with us, ie arranging gigs for when some band members are on holiday :)

and to answer ped - yes it is photoshop all the way, he had us all individually placed against black and then white background took loads of shots in different clothes and positions and whatever you see on the photos is done obviously in photoshop which I don't mind and as he said these are just rough photos to give us an idea, I'll have some better ones soon so we'll see :D

Cheers for all the comments so far, keep em coming ;)

Nice look, good photographer and some nice Photoshop work.

I am going to disagree with Silddx here. It's true that it's hard to nail down your target from just the photos but realistically, how many times is your audience going to be presented with just the photo? Not very often. Most of the time it is going to be coupled with some kind of graphic design. Typography here is going to make all the difference. Once those photos have been put into some kind of presentation format, a website, poster or flyer etc. with some relevant text, in a style that emphasises the bands direction, all will be good.

Use a funky 70's looking font and you will look like a funk band, use a distressed Helvetica derivative and you are rock.

Good photos.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='536344' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:22 PM']and to answer ped - yes it is photoshop all the way, he had us all individually placed against black and then white background took loads of shots in different clothes and positions and whatever you see on the photos is done obviously in photoshop which I don't mind and as he said these are just rough photos to give us an idea, I'll have some better ones soon so we'll see :rolleyes:[/quote]

With complete conviction on my part, I think that is the most manifestly absurd photographic strategy for a group shoot I've ever heard.

If you had paid for that I'd be angry on your behalf.

[b]EDIT: [/b]Gosh, I'm so SERIOUS aren't I! :)

Edited by silddx

The pictures are good, i'm not a fan of taking pictures with your instruments either.
But good quality - i couldnt tell what type of band you are. I'd probs stab in the dark at a general alternative (see Radiohead etc) with some random funky parts thrown in.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='536354' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:28 PM']You've avoided brick walls and railway tracks. Good work[/quote]

Not that using either of those harmed The Clash

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='536346' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:25 PM']You are a prog rock band.[/quote]

Nah. No doublenecks...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='536354' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:28 PM']I like 'em.

You've avoided brick walls and railway tracks. Good work

[url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/"]How not to do it[/url][/quote]

Brilliant!! Worried now in case any of my old bands are in there.

BB

Oh, and the photoshopping in the last one for the bassist and guitarist rather reminds me of this:

but much more subtly, it should be said.

Looks as if you'll have some good photos out of that lot, but I think you'll have to rely on other cues to give an unambiguous clue as to what genre you are.

My Favourite picture is the second, you look like a band in that one, the other 3 are a bit 4 individuals thrown together in for the usual and predictable pub band jeans and t shirt photoshoot, if you know what I mean. The photographic quality is good though.

Edited by CyberBass

[quote name='51m0n' post='536493' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:53 PM']You're npt the only one! :)[/quote]

I too freaked out that my old band could have been there.
But i think every band has had a cheesy picture of them
a ) against a brick wall
b ) railway line
c ) Stairway

Kinda concerning that my first band pretty much had 2/3

Edited by woodyratm

It's all quite Joey Lawrence. As everyone's been saying, they're OK, but they don't speak to me about what it is you do. What irks me, especially in the last one, is the way he's Photoshopped you into a fairly dark outdoor setting, where the natural light appears to be trying to break through the clouds behind you. But then you see the obvious reflections/highlights from what look like whacking great studio softboxes either side of your singer and pretty much head-on to your bass, coming from behind the camera. The light just feels [b][i]so[/i][/b] wrong. You'd sit much better in a brighter setting.

I'm being tremendously sexist, of course, in assuming that the girl at the front is the singer. She could be the thereminist for all I know. :)

IMO the photoshopping is very poor. Spotted that this had been cut and pasted together straight away. There's all sorts of problems in the compositing with the lighting and shadows where the shots of the individual members have been put together, plus the cut-outs around the hair are awful . It's probably just as well you didn't pay any money for this.

As for the images as band shots, I don't really know. It doesn't appear that you have a "band image", just 3 random blokes and a reasonably attractive girl. It's all a bit ordinary really. Of course that may be what you were aiming for...

I've seen far, far worse but the lighting does give the photoshopping away even without some of the quality issues that have been mentioned. BUT - and its quite a big But - posed shots like these have a place in any band's portfolio because it identifies you as individuals. No good on their own, but as part of a publicity layout along with some good live shots of you performing and they would earn their keep.