Why become a member? ×

My Band's photoshoot

JackLondon

Asking for trouble posting something like this here! (I wouldn't)

Obviously photoshop due to the harsh cutout edges, I prefer to do a softer edge but maybe that was the effect that he wanted. At the end of the day you could throw up the most amazing picture ever and about half the people here will still be critical of it.

As far as genre - dunno, but seeing the pix makes me feel like I'd like to hear the music!

My first thought was "Read the T-shirts. Funk band? Nah, can't be - bloke with a Les Paul. I'm muddled now"

I reckon it's Blues. With a sprightly bounce to it.

And a 'hubba-hubba-woo-woo-yowsa-yowsa-rrrwahhrrr-ding-dong-Well hel-lo' [s]bass player[/s] singer.

Edited by skankdelvar

So was each person pictured individually & then comped together?

I think that's what you were implying but just checking :rolleyes:

Anyway - that's how they look to me. I'm afraid the first thing made me think was that the band weren't very 'together' and almost as if they didn't want to be pictured in the same room etc.

Not sure why that came across to me but that was very much my first thought :)

In terms of music, and I'm afraid I'm going to sound both racist & sexist here, but any band shot with a coloured female singer immediately says funk/soul band to me?

Personally I think the link [url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php?page=7"]http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php?page=7[/url] is a bit mean. Some of those pictures are ok. Bands use walls, railways, forests etc. So what? I don't personally go a bundle on electric guitars being played in fields but each to their own.

I wound up going through all of them just in case. None of my old bands are there but most of them could have been.

How would you recommend doing it? Being shot altogether doesn't always work either as we have seen on the link to the crap band photo site! I am interested because in the next few weeks one of my bands has to go through exactly the same thing and I am keen not to make the same mistakes!

[quote name='silddx' post='536372' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:43 PM']With complete conviction on my part, I think that is the most manifestly absurd photographic strategy for a group shoot I've ever heard.

If you had paid for that I'd be angry on your behalf.

[b]EDIT: [/b]Gosh, I'm so SERIOUS aren't I! :)[/quote]

Must admit, not a fan of any of them.

IMO, you should all adopt a common stylistic theme dresswise. All to disparate, your intended musical style is ambiguous.

As said above, drop the instruments, mics and stick.....dreadful.

Stick with either natural surroundings or no surroundings at all, possible on a solid dark colour background.

Try just head/shoulder shots of each band member, but avoid "straight at the camera" poses. Something quite off the wall perhaps???

Photo shoots are hard. Its easier for us, as youve guessed, to advise you what NOT to do, rather than the converse.

GL.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='538360' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:22 AM']How would you recommend doing it? Being shot altogether doesn't always work either as we have seen on the link to the crap band photo site! I am interested because in the next few weeks one of my bands has to go through exactly the same thing and I am keen not to make the same mistakes![/quote]

That's a very difficult question to answer because there are no rules, no perfect answers. Only you and your band know what you want to say, what your vision is, what sort of band, music, etc., etc. Most of it is down to your own personal self image and how it relates to the band, and what the other members feel bout themselves in the band context. It's all in the prep, clothes, hair, location, lighting. The photographer should not have to make any decisions for you, they should simply be committing your vision to posterity using their expertise. Just don't use lighting that looks like a passport photo like in the OP's pics, unless that works for you. Often, lo-fi grainy black and white pics with plenty of shadow can say a lot more that complex lighting. The OP's photographer probably shoots food and sofas for a living judging by the lighting choices.

Are you a "band" like the Beatles, or do you have a clear leader like Van Halen?

I think a few good general rules are that you don't have to be good looking, just looking good. Let the person in the band with the most "personality" not one with the most "creativity" lead the shoot, and especially the prep. Look like a team, not a bunch of friends from the pub. Think about the lifestyle you want to sell and do the old trick of dressing for where you want to be, not for where you are. Signed bands wearing jeans and tees and just-woke-up-hair will have had that image crafted in most cases, it's still their "uniform".

A lot of people don't have a strong sense of these things and need to be led, they probably won't like it so it can cause as many arguments as musical direction.

I could go on but I don't know if it would help.

Edited by silddx

Sage advice there and I will printing this off and circulating to my fellow band members!

Do you work in marketing by any chance!

[quote name='silddx' post='538679' date='Jul 12 2009, 06:24 PM']That's a very difficult question to answer because there are no rules, no perfect answers. Only you and your band know what you want to say, what your vision is, what sort of band, music, etc., etc. Most of it is down to your own personal self image and how it relates to the band, and what the other members feel bout themselves in the band context. It's all in the prep, clothes, hair, location, lighting. The photographer should not have to make any decisions for you, they should simply be committing your vision to posterity using their expertise. Just don't use lighting that looks like a passport photo like in the OP's pics. Often, black and white pics with plenty of shadow can say a lot more that complex lighting. The OP's photographer probably shoots food and sofas for a living judging by the lighting choices.

Are you a "band" like the Beatles, or do you have a clear leader like Van Halen?

I think a few good general rules are that you don't have to be good looking, just looking good. Let the person in the band with the most "personality" not one with the most "creativity" lead the shoot, and especially the prep. Look like a team, not a bunch of friends from the pub. Think about the lifestyle you want to sell and do the old trick of dressing for where you want to be, not for where you are. Signed bands wearing jeans and tees and just-woke-up-hair will have had that image crafted in most cases, it's still their "uniform".

A lot of people don't have a strong sense of these things and need to be led, they probably won't like it so it can cause as many arguments as musical direction.

I could go on but I don't know if it would help.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='538687' date='Jul 12 2009, 06:33 PM']Sage advice there and I will printing this off and circulating to my fellow band members!

Do you work in marketing by any chance![/quote]

:)

I don't but I have studied it in the past and had jobs in media where a deep understanding of the audience for my work is critical. I was a graphic and web interface designer for quite a while and I've always had an interest in human behaviour, which is very useful in my current job as a safety advisor. I'm pretty good at understanding what to do with a unique selling point, and developing marketing concepts, I help my partner with her marketing tactics occasionally. She's a Marketing Director Europe for a breastfeeding accessories company :rolleyes: I see a lot of breasts at home :lol: