Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Yamaha RBX775 - help me decide !

Machines

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='527826' date='Jun 29 2009, 03:42 PM']What about a 2-tone burst in purple and orange?

[attachment=27974:mockup_t..._me_ages.jpg]

Now that's jaw-droppingly gorgeous, I'm sure you'll agree.

S.P.[/quote]

written down, I'd have thought ugh, but in the picture it looks great - almost ritter-esque

[quote name='Buzz' post='521795' date='Jun 23 2009, 03:41 PM']Orange.

Or go the doodle route and go flip-paint.[/quote]

I wanted flip paint for mine, purple into a burnt orange. Spoke to the car paint place who said id need to mix up 3-4 liters if I wanted it to flip a lot. but as its nearly £100 a liter and I dont think I used 1/4 of a liter to do mine, its a bit of a waist. I did find some cool paint though @ Autopaint. you get this effect...
im thinking doing a white undercoat for my next project, or maybe an orange under the purple.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='527531' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:03 AM']Not true. You won't get the colours like that from Humbrol paints... and you certainly won't get anywhere with a bucket of water. You'll need a bit of borax for a start... Everybody's an expert it seems. Have you even ever tried swirling?[/quote]
Yes i have ta.

Did quite a bit of it when doing pottery :)
Ok, I may have over simplified it, but all I was pointing out is that its not beyond mere mortals :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to cause offence.

Matt

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection !

Haven't touched this for nearly a year and it's about time I got it finished. Alas I resprayed a couple of months ago in a fantastic gun metal grey metallic, only for the paint to craze on me a whole 4 weeks after putting a clear gloss top coat on (no pics i'm afraid).

A complete resand later (that stuff is TOUGH) and back to the bare wood. I've since decided to go for a solid colour and have primed it back up - but I actually think it looks pretty damned good in pure white.. what do we think ?

It's obviously flat white at the moment, but I think it would be better in a gloss white. Not sure if just putting a normal gloss coat over the top will be hard enough or need a top coat of any variety. Anyone more experienced in this care to assist ? :)

Then it shall be done. I'll do the final sanding today, might pick up some gloss white from the shops and get spraying if it's not too windy outside !

Next thing will be what to do with the headstock, do I put a Yamaha logo back on it (with those inkjet printable waterslides), make my own logo or leave it blank ?

I cut my own headstock logo from Black sticky back vinyl (from Homebase). It was a bit fiddly, to be honest, and the material is thicker than a normal transfer, but you don't end up with a clear border round it, because I personally hate that. I can try and describe the process, if you want?

[attachment=58552:S1030777.JPG]

The rest of the guitar (a P style kit by SAGA) looks like this, that's a Honda colour 'Imola Orange pearl metallic'

[attachment=58553:S1030767.JPG]

Having said all that, I really like the white, especially the white/ black headstock :-)

I like the white too.

I recently started a refin on my Dean. Original plan was to send to body to my artist mate in Australia to paint, but that would have cost about £150 in shipping alone.
So I decided on matt black.

Went from this:
[attachment=58664:IMG_1058.jpg]

to this:
[attachment=58665:IMG_1154.jpg]

to this:
[attachment=58666:IMG_1324.jpg]

Still needs a bit of sanding back and a few more coats.