Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Yamaha RBX775 - help me decide !

Machines

[quote name='Machines' post='960927' date='Sep 19 2010, 08:57 AM']First gloss coat done, looks good - managed to get it in yesterday before it hammered it down. Anyone got any suggestions on how to finish it better to try and get rid of the 'orange peel' ?[/quote]

Just sand it out using a good quality wet'n'dry from an auto shop, preferably not Halfords since anything 800 and up from there seems a bit sh**. I'm currently using 1200 for this purpose. Use it wet and with a block on any flat bits. You can bring back the shine later by using rubbing compound and T cut original.

[quote name='Machines' post='964738' date='Sep 22 2010, 06:11 PM']Ok nice one - will one grade be enough or do I need to work through a few ?[/quote]

Depends how bad the peel is. I'm just using 1200. If it's bad then an 800 or even 600 might be worthwhile. But if you can get a (decent) 1500 and 2000 then that'll save you a bit of effort with the compound. 3M make good stuff I believe, but have had trouble finding it locally and can't be arsed buying sandpaper on t'internet!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the bass after the last coat of gloss white, have let it harden for 3 weeks before putting all the hardware back on to check it out. Am quite happy with it despite the finish not being that perfect close up (not visible in photos). Also once all the hardware was back on it's less noticeable. Next job is some touching up (ooer) and then wiring it back up.

[quote name='Rich' post='520165' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:57 PM']Purple?
Actually no, that's a bad idea. A terrible one even. Nobody in their right mind would have a purple bass. In fact, you'd have to be an utterly barking hatstand johnny-no-mates to even contemplate a purple [s]7-string[/s] errm, [s]headless 6-string[/s] bass.[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! Witty retort? Well, being flip paint, I just move 90 degrees and it turns to green, or blue!

[quote name='Rich' post='520699' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:02 PM']Rather than ordinary purple, how about that colour-changing flip flop type purple stuff?
Actually no, that's a really awful idea too. You'd have to be several bricks short to even consider putting such stuff on a bass [s]called Sally[/s].[/quote]

really... no..errr..answer to that! I'm surprised no one came over at Bass Day to ask how Sally was lolz