Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Yamaha RBX775 - help me decide !

Machines

I've decided to strip down and repaint my Yamaha RBX775. The stock finish was starting to wear and look a bit tired, especially around the bridge pickup where my thumb rested. Plus I got a bit bored of looking at it !

Anyway - i've already done 90% of the sanding, but just can't decide what colour to go for. The alder body is a 3 piece and mismatched so natural is not an option.

I want a colour you don't see this model in so i'm dismissing black, light silver and pretty much any red (don't want similar coloured instruments to what I already have).

So what do you think would look good ?! The neck is painted black and i'll leave it that way, the headstock plastic bit i;ve got off so can be sprayed to match whatever I go for.

Here's a recent pic followed by a stock image:

Purple?
Actually no, that's a bad idea. A terrible one even. Nobody in their right mind would have a purple bass. In fact, you'd have to be an utterly barking hatstand johnny-no-mates to even contemplate a purple [s]7-string[/s] errm, [s]headless 6-string[/s] bass.

[quote name='Rich' post='520165' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:57 PM']Purple?
Actually no, that's a bad idea. A terrible one even. Nobody in their right mind would have a purple bass. In fact, you'd have to be an utterly barking hatstand johnny-no-mates to even contemplate a purple [s]7-string[/s] errm, [s]headless 6-string[/s] bass.[/quote]

My bass is purple :)

Rather than ordinary purple, how about that colour-changing flip flop type purple stuff?
Actually no, that's a really awful idea too. You'd have to be several bricks short to even consider putting such stuff on a bass [s]called Sally[/s].

[quote name='yorick' post='520468' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:52 AM']Metallic British racing green.[/quote]
Vvvvvery nice. Although metalflake colours can be an absolute bastid to get right. They are often best left to a pro paint shop.
I'm liking the idea of bright yellow. What sort of paint do you have in mind? Car colours?

I'm not an experienced sprayer so simple would be best ! Car colours are a good source of inspiration, i'm not sure if [color="#FFFF00"][b]bright yellow[/b] [/color]would be a bit much on a fretless bass though ! Lime green would be the same, it'd look cool but I wouldn't want to own it.

I'm thinking about a metallic gold/copper at the moment, a bit like this:

or

[quote name='Machines' post='520965' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:16 PM']I'm not an experienced sprayer so simple would be best ! Car colours are a good source of inspiration, i'm not sure if [color="#FFFF00"][b]bright yellow[/b] [/color]would be a bit much on a fretless bass though ! Lime green would be the same, it'd look cool but I wouldn't want to own it.

I'm thinking about a metallic gold/copper at the moment, a bit like this:

or
[/quote]

The orange looks quite good i suppose, i think however the bottom colour is best left on the corvette imo.

Wow those Fenders are erm... quirky !

Don't think it'd be something I could a) not feel a bit queasy looking at and :) actually do in the first place !

I think Orange Metallic would look pretty funky, much like the BB414:

[quote name='Matty' post='527334' date='Jun 29 2009, 12:27 AM']swirling is actually quite simple.
Humbrol paints and a bucket of water are all you need...[/quote]

Not true. You won't get the colours like that from Humbrol paints... and you certainly won't get anywhere with a bucket of water. You'll need a bit of borax for a start... Everybody's an expert it seems. Have you even ever tried swirling?

[quote name='Machines' post='527398' date='Jun 29 2009, 06:51 AM']Just mocked this up in Paintshop...

Fairly basic but gives an idea of potentials, oddly enough the yellow is really grabbing me at the moment !

[/quote]

Agreed! They all look good IMO.

For me it would be Aqua, Yellow or Lime

[quote name='Machines' post='527398' date='Jun 29 2009, 06:51 AM']Just mocked this up in Paintshop...

Fairly basic but gives an idea of potentials, oddly enough the yellow is really grabbing me at the moment !

[/quote]

Haha after saying that you didn't like my suggestion of yellow? OJ, but yeah i think it looks good mate, looks very functional.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='521849' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:48 PM']How about a multi-coloured splatter finish?

Done by dropping paint on the body and then spinning it.

This was a Fender limited edition finish but I can only find Strat pics, did they used on any of the basses?[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Pollocks!....Sorry! I'll get me coat! :rolleyes: